Modified Water Pump

Iain T

I've been trying to fit the more powerful 12" Spall electric fan in my Vitesse mk2 but just can't get it to fit without shortening the length of the WP. 

I sent it to EP Services who used a different modified pulley and bearings to reduce the length to 65mm.

I made 2 pairs of 1mm galv brackets which are fixed to the rad side panel stud and the main rad mounting bracket. This should hold everything in place. I used the standard Spall brackets. 

It all fits and misses the crank bolt and pulley but one of the fan casing webs just kisses the WP. It's a bit nippy out today for anymore twiddlin but I'll put a spacer on the rad mounts to slightly angle the rad towards the front and away from the casing. I could also just grind a bit of the casing away. 

When I have it fitted properly I'll report back. 

Iain 

IMG_20210407_120801.jpg

IMG_20210407_120726.jpg

IMG_20210407_120658.jpg

IMG_20210406_142406.jpg

IMG_20210330_141225.jpg

Hi Iain, one thing thats quite noticeable from your pics is the rad fin spacing. Although it looks like you have the modern tube spacing (1 per cm?) the fins seem to be few in number compared with some designs available. If youre cooling is still insufficient after fitting the fan an increase in cooling surface by having more fins per inch will obviously make quite a difference...

of course, at the risk of being controversial, I suggest you could go aluminium and have the benefit of more fins, better thermal connection between fins and tubes, and thinner walled tubes for improved heat transfer plus save some weight....

It was a new Bastuck rad fitted by Jigsaw 3 years ago therefore I've been resisting fitting an Ali rad but it's the next step if the new fan isn't up to the job. 

I'm pretty confident this will do the job and stops my wife from yelling 'how much more are you going to spend on the money pit? "

Iain 

Nice bit of kit but dont think you'll get authorisation for that expediture😂 I needed a recore so went the cheapest route and fitted 50quids worth of Ebay Honda Civic ally rad and have been very pleased. Its not the prettiest installation and is obviously not original but certainly does the job...

55 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I'll wait until she buys those must have shoes then get her to sign off the rad! 

Mine forgot her bank cards this morning in M&S and cost me almost the price of a carpet set. I've as much chance of a refund as I have of getting my last blood donation back.

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Mine forgot her bank cards this morning

Shops open on Monday, I think I'm in with a good chance! 

I can see that gleam in her eyes....shopping, bars, restaurants, holidays.......gimme more!! 

• 1 month later...

Interesting comment re insulating Ali Rad from chassis/body, I understand the intent but we've had a custom Ali rad fitted to daughters Spit Mk2 over 15 years directly bolted to to the steel rad mounting frame with no issues, admittedly the cars used infrequently twice a month and the battery is isolated when not in use.

I must also advise the Ali rad doesn't appear to have degraded with blocking of the tubes, we do change the rad rust inhibitor coolant regularly and check its ph (Castrol litmus strips) at least twice a year.

Iain Re gleam in her eyes I know the feeling mine can't go past italian shoes or expensive handbags, how many people have an out of fashion Yves St L toolbag in their Triumph boot! I've got a weeks reprieve here in Melb we have just been put in a 7 day lockdown AGAIN with a 5klm limit, returning traveler quarantine failure again, hotel quarantine has serious breach issues!! I think about 30 related cases with thousands told to isolate and get tested, hundreds of hot spots, gee one fellow got around all over the city and into country areas surprised he had time to sleep! Personaly we had first jab of AZ 6 weeks ago, the second in July, our vacc roll out has been slow usual federal vs state govt rows & blame game even tho AZ made locally!

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Iain Re gleam in her eyes I know the feeling mine

My credit card is in isolation, yesterday my wife announced Armani have a sale on at Bond Street!!!!!

The uprated Spall fan and in line thermostat seems to be working well but I need some hot weather to test. Finding a traffic jam is easy!

If I fit an ali rad I'll just put an isolation pad on the mounting face to stop any reaction but as Peter says and especially if the rad is painted probably not a great issue.

The new water pump is working fine, no leaks or noise. I hate to say this but another tick off the long list......

A post on our estate website informed us the area where we live is being surge tested as we have variants.....fixed or drop head coupe???

Iain

4 hours ago, johny said:

Really any rad should be mounted on rubber washers for vibration reduction and which effectively give electrical insulation as well...

Then you fix the engine side valances to the radiator and chassis?.

Regards.

Paul

2 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Then you fix the engine side valances to the radiator and chassis?.

Regards.

Paul

Ah yes, mines aluminium and didnt come with valance fixings so I had to fabricate them and by chance insulated them in the process. Thinking about it though has anyone really ever had a problem with galvanic corrosion of aluminium radiators? 

55 minutes ago, johny said:

Thinking about it though has anyone really ever had a problem with galvanic corrosion of aluminium radiators?

I doubt it unless you park in the sea! Most of us look after our babies and tackle problems, of which there are many, as they arise. Some like me even cause problems by inveterate twiddlin'. 

You've reminded me that one of the side panel rad brackets has broken off, add that to the list! 

Iain