Mikalor hose clip

daverclasper

Hi. Bought one of these for the bottom hose to rad joint to try out as had been recommended on here I think and a Jubilee clip had failed.

Was impressed when it arrived as only just over £2 inc postage and seems well made.

However

When I ordered it of Ebay, the instructions were to measure the hose outer diameter, fitted to the stub.

It was 41mm using a Vernier gauge, which corresponded to a clip size of 40-43 W2 on their site. This was the size stamped on the clip I received.

The internal Dia of the clip was about 43/44mm, so went over the hose ok, but only just started to clamp at it's max closure (It's not like a jubilee which sort of go on and on, though not recommended to over tighten, I believe ) and was leaking coolant (I fitted it quickly with the hose in situ). 

Removed clip and wound it back in to full adjustment. Measured it and an it had internal dia of only, about 37/38 mm, so maybe not surprised it wouldn't clamp?.

The hoses were the basics from Canley about 7 years ago and not cracking yet, though were quite thin rubber and hardish maybe to other hoses I have come across, maybe this not helping?

Just wondered how any others had found them?.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

I do like mikalor clamps, but the short operating range does make getting the right one tricky, especially when using on hoses where a certain amount of squish is called for.  Tend to keep them for exhausts and even then get two sizes to hedge my bets....

Nick

2 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Hi. Bought one of these for the bottom hose to rad joint to try out as had been recommended on here I think and a Jubilee clip had failed.

Was impressed when it arrived as only just over £2 inc postage and seems well made.

However

When I ordered it of Ebay, the instructions were to measure the hose outer diameter, fitted to the stub.

It was 41mm using a Vernier gauge, which corresponded to a clip size of 40-43 W2 on their site. This was the size stamped on the clip I received.

The internal Dia of the clip was about 43/44mm, so went over the hose ok, but only just started to clamp at it's max closure (It's not like a jubilee which sort of go on and on, though not recommended to over tighten, I believe ) and was leaking coolant (I fitted it quickly with the hose in situ). 

Removed clip and wound it back in to full adjustment. Measured it and an it had internal dia of only, about 37/38 mm, so maybe not surprised it wouldn't clamp?.

The hoses were the basics from Canley about 7 years ago and not cracking yet, though were quite thin rubber and hardish maybe to other hoses I have come across, maybe this not helping?

Just wondered how any others had found them?.

Cheers, Dave

That's the same issue as I read when asking about heater and coolant hose clips for my TR.  They were also said to be pretty wide (20mm if I recall) and so look a bit over-the-top on smaller diameter connections. 

As a consequence I'm buying a complete set of the original type wire clips for the car, not because I particular care about them being to original spec, but simply because I want something that is proven to work reliably, and will all look the same.

Pete.

I like and use Mikalor clips but as Nick has said, they do have a short operating range.

I still believe in them, as they theoretically exert a more even clamping force around the circumference of the joint. They are also easier when time comes for disassembling, and leaks are a rarity. So plenty of benefits!

I've invested in a range of sizes so I can pick the right one for fuel hoses, radiator hoses, heater hoses or whatever.

Nigel

Like others I've only used Mikalor in special case's and exhausts.

Ref the original wire clips they make such a mess of the hose distorting/cutting into them, they look cheap and that's probably why Leyland used them, to get the car out the door. I have a set of several special hose clamp removal tools/pliers but they don't work on those wire clips and using pliers they just swing round as you compress them! The modern band sprung clip works well but the barbs always find the back of my hands, Ooch!!

I never use the jubilee clips with the worm slots that are cut right thro the band as they rip the hoses up too much, (Tridon here in Aus) when ever I see the older style jubilee clips with the worm slots only deformed into the band I buy them irrespective of the sizes, so fortunately I have a reasonable collection and all the classics have been fitted with them over the years, unfortunately there not S/S but they last eons, and they get a regular clean up and oil of the worm when working on the cooling system.

Are we talking about the same type of wire clamp Peter ?  

P1380306a.JPG.6dc7963762a5de8f7f2df1210b995363.JPG

^ Top of the above shows the original type of wire hose clamp I'm referring to . . .

This tightens into the rubber as two individual wire bands around the hose, so although those are narrow - each clip is like having two clamps (very localised tourniquet) on the same connection. And because they are narrow, they ought not need tightening as much as a broad band to pull in the same amount.  Admittedly they are not very pretty but when undisturbed - they have repeatedly proven their water-tightness for decades. 

Pete.

Dave, had the same issue but with my exhaust and bought a selection of sizes! With hoses it's even more difficult to determine the correct size as they are compressible. Great product and much better than jubby clips. 

Iain 

It might be that Mikalor are best suited to new rubber or silicone hoses.  They are much wider than Jubilees and compress more hose against the fitting, so sealing better, unless the hose has aged and hardened.   I see that davetclasper was using an old hose.

when I built Silverback, it had multiple connections between the engine and the rear radiator, and chose Mikalor for reliability as well as sealability.   I wasn't disappointed!

Yes Pete a long time since I’ve seen one in captivity I’d forgotten they were two bands screw clamped but I still very destructive to the hose. Must admit I got mixed up with the later single band of wire that is sprung onto the hose what a bugger they are to remove and fit.

On 09/04/2021 at 10:26, Nigel Clark said:

Mikalor is also my 'clamp of choice' for exhausts. The design gives even pressure around the circumference, so it's possible to get the joint really tight without deforming the pipe.

This - so much easier to get the joint apart if the tubes haven't been deformed by a U-clamp

Nick