Carb balancing

PaulBSpit1500

just set the idle stops from just touching  and wind in 1.5 turns    that sets both throttle plates in the same position   thats how they went to the factory 

no faffing around  just get them in the same mechanical setting 

do the same with mixture  level the jet with the bridge and turn down 3 turns 

adjust equally to get a nice idle .. job done

do you have wax stats on your jets    ...they can really mess up , prise the cap off the bottom remove the wax capsule dont loose the small steel spacer its needed 

add 2x 1p pennies and refit the cap/crimp 

or see Doug and buy him a beer 

Pete

ive had one of these for yearsCarburettor balancer

but setting to a simple and fairly accurate mechanical pre setting 

does all you really need ,just the way they were set before fitting to the engine on the assy line 

balancing to extremes is a faffing about myth  as soon as you open the throttles   you loose the idle setting you have been worrying about 

so back to set the throttle plates to the same setting set the mixtures to the same setting and you have a balance so you can equally adjust from that 

yes leaky spindles etc will have a bearing on idle air flows but thats a different problem that needs solving 

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I bought one of these, many years ago, for the Spitfire.... this just reminded me that it's been hanging on the wall for years. Had to blow the dust off...

That`s what i have,bought years ago from e bay,i like old school stuff..

S

It isn't great, John... very hard and incredibly difficult to get a good seal, but then I found out I might be missing the cone that fits into the carb mouth... which I didn't know about until I searched for these on the Net last night. Mine just has a flat rubber circle. I wonder if they're available as a replacement item, even very old stock?

R0eaf913bb1c374127f659c3c44f21b68.jpeg.6f02c546204c7e2a4de1615b177669b7.jpeg