TR5 PI timing marks

wimpus

Hi all, 

Friend of mine has a TR5 PI.

Just got the injectors rebuild etc.

Had a look at the timing and seems to be running at TDC.

Then a little other line is there.. 

When I look in the manuals it says that little line is 4°after.

But manual says it needs 11° before with a strobe..

post-6362-0-75292900-1301939950.jpg

Could the pulley have come from another Triumph 6 (several US emission controlled models required ignition timing after top dead centre)?

I would expect CP engine crank pulleys to be marked in degrees BTDC, with major marks at 10 & 20 degrees BTDC.

These engines usually need 11-12, degrees static advance. If in doubt, I would set TDC accurately through no.1 plug hole, and measure around the pulley as Pete has suggested.

Nigel

and make sure the damper ring  rubber  bonding is holding  old dampers have a habit of the outer ring loosing its adhesion and the outer ring with the marks on will rotate on the base pulley so marks or none you cant use them as they no longer relate to TDC 

got that Tee shirt and JohnD has done a lot of investigative work on harmonic dampers ......and the loose ones 

Pete

11 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

Could the pulley have come from another Triumph 6 (several US emission controlled models required ignition timing after top dead centre)?

I would expect CP engine crank pulleys to be marked in degrees BTDC, with major marks at 10 & 20 degrees BTDC.

These engines usually need 11-12, degrees static advance. If in doubt, I would set TDC accurately through no.1 plug hole, and measure around the pulley as Pete has suggested.

Nigel

This!

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

and make sure the damper ring  rubber  bonding is holding  old dampers have a habit of the outer ring loosing its adhesion and the outer ring with the marks on will rotate on the base pulley so marks or none you cant use them as they no longer relate to TDC 

got that Tee shirt and JohnD has done a lot of investigative work on harmonic dampers ......and the loose ones 

Pete

Indeed, and thanks for the namecheck, Pete!

I can see in your picture, Wimpus (or rather your picture of the pulley, I'm sure you are much prettier) that the rubber of the damping ring is bulged out, by the effects of fifty tears of heat and an oily atmosphere.     But my experience is that appearance is no guide to function.   A rotten looking damper may work well, and a good looker be useless.    Please contact me by PM if you wish to have your damper tested.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys !

Measured and marked 11degrees on the pully, started engine and it was aroundTDC/ 1° .

Previous owner put in electronic ignition kit, so probably never checked the timing(thats my guess).

Adjusted the timing, engine picked up great and sounded a lot better.

My friend drove it around the block (as not much time), but was amazed.

Much more power in lower revs (before only above 3000), exhaust isnt as loud anymore and no pops anymore on overrun !

Starts up better when hot to.

But could hear something ratteling up front. 

The fan has movement, cant get to the bolts etc... so means rad out.

Always more work !😂