Jump to content

Electronic ignition recommendations


sulzerman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a good reliable electronic system that works well and lasts. The last one I fitted was a Pertronics which left me stranded waiting for the AA man. It was less than 2 years old.

Tried two Accusparks which caused a misfire.

Currently running with points and condensor, which seem ok. Should I stick with this?

Its for a 2500 saloon with twin SU HS6s and Lucas 45D dissy

Any recommendations or experiences?

many thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe the two types you have tried so far are mounted inside the dizzy and this design is probably more prone to failure because of their smaller size and exposure to heat/vibration. Therefore you might be best going for something like the Sparkrite SX4000 that uses your original points but only to trigger the electronics in a remotely mounted box. Maybe someone has some experience with these....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My personal experience is the Pertronix (Aldon) Igniter has never failed on me.

I have used Powerspark - the module didn’t fail, however one of the connections to the coil worked loose leaving me 15 mins late for work. I just swapped the module with wiring for the spare one I carried in the glovebox (bought as a spare because it was so cheap).

I have had Lumentition Optronic fail twice on two different cars - each was replaced with an Igniter per my first comment.

I have recently swapped out a perfectly good Powerspark-equipped 25D4 dissy for a 123Ignition Tune+  In my TR4.... it  is running well, been wanting to do it for a while, but I have no view yet on its longevity but do have high hopes :) 

....... Andy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johny said:

I believe the two types you have tried so far are mounted inside the dizzy and this design is probably more prone to failure because of their smaller size and exposure to heat/vibration. Therefore you might be best going for something like the Sparkrite SX4000 that uses your original points but only to trigger the electronics in a remotely mounted box. Maybe someone has some experience with these....

Yes, broke down and went back to points, then to the aldon and had no problems. I just got the accuspark for my 2500s, the whole distributor. Very impressed so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, sulzerman said:

Yes, not been modified

there by can be another problem  most leccy units have a operating voltage range   from the past aldon was 6 to 18 v

with a ballasted feed and a low battery state you can drop the ignition feed below the base operating voltage and the things miss fire or stop altogether 

hence why many link a 12v bypass to the unit or change the whole to 3 ohm coil and 12v base voltage 

worse with a dynamo where the idling charge voltage is quite low , or the battery is low to start with and the car just wont start up

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an Aldon ignitor (AKA Pertronix) which at the time I bought it was regarded as the market leader, I've never heard of one go wrong. Although I did accidentally pull a wire of mine dragging my cylinder head out the engine, I had to get a spare sensor from the USA supplier. There was a lot of head scratching as to which was the right part, they make dozens of units not just for different cars but ballasted and non ballasted systems. 

But an Aldon die and two Accusparks misbehave?  I suspect there's something else wrong along the lines Pete is suggesting.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the power supply, certainly for the Accuspark/Powerspark units, must be taken direct from 12v and not the ballasted supply. Might be a common mistake because in a non ballasted system you just connect the red wire to the +ve side of the coil....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, johny said:

I think the power supply, certainly for the Accuspark/Powerspark units, must be taken direct from 12v and not the ballasted supply. Might be a common mistake because in a non ballasted system you just connect the red wire to the +ve side of the coil....

So why is there an Aldon Ignitor for the ballasted system and another for the non-ballasted system?

Doug 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sparkrite SX4000 - I have had quite a collection of them 4 in total (I think), all faulty. For a look inside one ......

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-carbfuel-problems-next-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/page/33/

I have been running on a Sparkrite SX1000 for many years until I started getting a misfire and switched back to conventional. I wish that I had the knowledge to repair it. It's probably old school electronics with valves and stuff inside but beyond me. I am looking for a working unit on fleabay but generally they only come up as sold as seen or for repair. That's why I was looking at the SX4000 but not impressed with them.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Sparkrite SX4000 - I have had quite a collection of them 4 in total (I think), all faulty. For a look inside one ......

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-carbfuel-problems-next-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/page/33/

I have been running on a Sparkrite SX1000 for many years until I started getting a misfire and switched back to conventional. I wish that I had the knowledge to repair it. It's probably old school electronics with valves and stuff inside but beyond me. I am looking for a working unit on fleabay but generally they only come up as sold as seen or for repair. That's why I was looking at the SX4000 but not impressed with them.

oh well bang goes my theory! Have you mentioned it to them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...