Replacement filter and seal for fuel pump?

1969Mk3Spitfire

Started to tinker with my Mk3 Spitfire today, slowly bringing it out of winter hibernation.  As part of the service schedule, I removed the top cap of the fuel pump to clean the mesh filter. I'm reluctant to keep tightening the bolt but it looks to have a tiny weep.  Hence a couple of questions.  (1) Is there a max torque figure for the bolt? (2) Are replacement mesh filters and the seal available to buy as individual parts, not part of an overhaul kit?  Many thanks.

Is it a glass-dome Delco pump? The brass filter and sealing ring are available. For the other metal-bodied pumps, I found a source for a kind of gauze filter recently; it's just a circular piece that may require trimmed to size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-type-G-fuel-pump-sediment-bowl-replacement-filter-mesh-gauze-Ford-Cortina-etc/133558724724?hash=item1f18b86874:g:A4IAAOSwpLNYAqwF

There are only two other genuine filter gauzes for sale on eBay, one is in Australia:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Veteran-AC-Fuel-Pump-Filter-Gauze-P-N-856850/232597762947?hash=item3627e83383:g:a5wAAOSwZW5aM24D

At least that one gives the part number for future searches: 856850. The other is in Maryland USA.

Thanks for the response, Colin, but the linked parts aren’t for my pump. Mine is per the Autobooks workshop manual, picture attached. Items 4 and 5. The seal is a square section O-ring. It’s profile has taken a bit of a set and now the cover, item 3, is, inevitably, in a slightly different position, it’s weeping. I could tighten the bolt more, I’m sure, but I fear a risk of over tightening (which would undoubtedly spoil my day😀).

FE6157AF-40DC-4AAB-8294-E6B9933C9C0C.jpeg

No worries! There are quite a few pumps on the market with different filters: see photos below of two I worked on recently. It's just a matter of trying to identify the model then see who has replacements, if any.

07540B21-4A6C-4D87-8F00-CFDD0D657196_1_105_c.jpg.0f0bb7f2398860d68ac69af5f0a4ce61.jpg  65120067-A60A-438C-915A-B287833CF179_1_105_c.jpg.aa623cb0ddf21d2a99ec644725233d80.jpg

This one may be close, it's for a Daimler:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daimler-DE27-DC27-DE36-AC-Fuel-Pump-Filter-top-Cover-Rubber-Seal/143944343249?hash=item2183c05ed1:g:GRoAAOSw8b1gI-Xb

Choice of three:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-FUEL-PUMP-RUBBER-SEALS/333774970965?hash=item4db689e055:g:oO8AAOSwjahfgW-v

• Thanks 1

Thanks again, Colin, much appreciated.  Mine looks like the one with three sectors.  I'll enter the garage with trepidation later this morning.........will I be greeted by that aroma of leaking petrol. 😢  I'll measure the OD and, hopefully, it will be one of those linked.  

Thanks, Detective,

The cover diameter is 45mm. None of the 3 within the eBay listing will fit. I’ve asked the seller of the individual one but, as it’s listed for a larger engine, I’m not confident.

As expected, it was wet around the seal when I looked this morning. No strong smell but not a complete seal. I tightened it another 10 degrees. 

Appreciate your help, thank you.

88CCC3EB-D890-459C-8FE5-46C6DB1315C7.jpeg

DFF8B1CF-0610-44F9-B7BC-C676FCC50C16.jpeg

I had a similar weep from the washer at the top of the pump around the bolt (part 2 in the exploded diagram). The washer had petrified and broke into small hard pieces while I was looking at it. After a little experimenting I used a small polypropylene O-ring out of my box of plumbing kit. Fixed it with no problem. Just waiting for the ethelene to dissolve it now.

What sealant did you have in mind, Pete?

The seal was naturally lubricated by petrol as the level in the tank is evidently higher than the pump cover. 😀

I will search for a 45mm od round o-ring if I can’t find a square one, same principle as looking at the bottom of my toolboxes.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the thoughts. I can’t believe that I’m the first person to witness this issue after checking and cleaning the mesh filter. 

I had this when i first got my spitfire, the first 31 years ago. Turned out i was a bit heavy handed and overtightened the screw after cleaned the filter . I ruined the lid and it would not seal after, always a slight dampness round the lid. In the end i bought a new pump and became alot more careful tightening smaller bolts. One day i might master that!

On 14/04/2021 at 10:47, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Thanks, Detective,

The cover diameter is 45mm. None of the 3 within the eBay listing will fit. I’ve asked the seller of the individual one but, as it’s listed for a larger engine, I’m not confident.

Don't go by the manual for that one; it's not an original Herald pump so the internals may differ. They differ in small subtle ways but you're better matching the bits you need to the pump you have as those little differences mean some of the replacement parts don't fit. The middle one in my photo is original, same as the manual page you posted, but you can see the difference in size with the one on the right, and the left-hand one has no dome at all, just two 'towers' for the valves.

45mm square section o-ring should be simpler to find.

5C3E43DC-95F2-43CC-8462-0604BC2DD3EE_1_105_c.jpg.0ee2c0e81fa57fd08f625c025028b64e.jpg

On 14/04/2021 at 11:47, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Thanks, Detective,

As expected, it was wet around the seal when I looked this morning. No strong smell but not a complete seal. I tightened it another 10 degrees. 

Appreciate your help, thank you.

88CCC3EB-D890-459C-8FE5-46C6DB1315C7.jpeg

DFF8B1CF-0610-44F9-B7BC-C676FCC50C16.jpeg

That pump looks exactly like the item 208493 that Paddocks have for sale.You could ask them if their overhaul kit is suitable for it? In fact is looks to be what they supplied for my 2L Vitesse and I thought it was wrong but has worked fine for a few years now....

It's all getting very confusing, I didn't realise that there were so many variants of a similar thing.  Mine, Colin, is similar to the one on the right in your picture. The Paddock version has an external primer, mine doesn't.

Haven't as yet found a source for square section o-rings.  I may try a smear of Hylomar or maybe a RTV and wait, fingers crossed, for a return of car shows during the summer.

Many thanks to all who have posted help, much appreciated.

Some of the kits sold online have the seal included (some don't) in fact some have more than one. Might be worth contacting the seller to see if he'll measure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Delco-BD27-7971387-Fuel-Pump-Repair-Kit-for-Vauxhall-Viva-1256cc-HC-1976-on/332460537105?hash=item4d68313511%3Ag%3Aun4AAOSw~AVYrDse&LH_ItemCondition=1000

s-l500-4.jpg.a88ac1f5237ed45edd0cbfb1fde78142.jpg

Might be worth splashing out on a new pump? Not expensive and the manual primer is quite nice to have if leaving the car unstarted for long periods. There seems to be a risk that some pumps on offer produce too much pressure so causing carbs to overflow but, as I say, my Paddock one hasnt given me any problems...

Hi

I too have had a similar issue with a leaky seal around the top of the fuel pump where it is screwed down. My solution was to re-tap the thread to take an M5 bolt and use an M4 neoprene washer carefully threaded on to it and underneath a steel washer.  I have also purchased some cork washers to try if this proves unsuccessful.