Keeping the GT6

As part of my rehabilitation to things Triumph I thought I’d introduce myself, although arguably I’ve not been away.  I bought my GT6 MkIII some 36 years ago and have been a member of the TSSC ever since. We bought in RMM in the year 3 bc  - before children - and it was our only means of transport until 1988.  The first child dented finances and so RMM went into the garage for a complete restoration.

My father in law worked as Unipart at the time and through him I built up a stockpile of parts.  Between 1990 & 2000 I slowing stripped the car down and repaired/replaced most panels and overhauled the mechanical parts.  Mike at MW Restoration did a super paint job.  Originally magenta RMM was black when I bought it, but for the respray my colour consultant told me it had to be damson or she wouldn’t ride in it again.

Back on the road I found a rear seat conversion and the two boys loved being taken to school in the “Six”.  Amusingly (well to me anyway) the nickname given to the elder boy by his scout troop was “GT”, a moniker he still has to this day.   The younger one somewhat inevitably was called “Spitfire” when he joined.

In 2003 I bought a Lotus and the Six was wrapped up safely in the garage.  RMM appeared for the occasional wash and ride and this went on until 2020.  With retirement approaching I decided to sell RMM and put the proceeds into buying a kit car.  Fortunately on actually retiring in August 2020 sense prevailed and I abandoned theis plan and will now be putting my efforts into getting RMM running as our second car.

So, as I’m coming to the end of some house projects, RMM will be getting my full attention in summer 2021.  And if Tom Hartley Cambridge AO reads this, I promise I will be attending the meets when we can get out.

IMG_4269.jpeg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RichardG said:

I bought my GT6 MkIII some 36 years ago

Richard,

Got mine 43 years ago, but I know there's some on here can top that!

It's a familiar story, car kept in the garage for decades then. retirement and what am I gonna do? My daughter wanted it for a wedding car, took me 7 months solid to get it up to MOT and with a month to go, "Shouldn't we try fitting you and your dress in the car?" :o

Good luck.

(those sills look a bit odd?)

Doug

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome all.

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Well, all the panels fit together better than Johnny Cash's... Nice one!

We used to say that at the time!, but it was all legit m'lud.  At the time a pair of rear wings retailed at £150; mine cost £28 including VAT. (Actually that was Spitfire wings so I had to do some fettling for the petrol filler.)

15 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

(those sills look a bit odd?)

Yes, I thought that when I selected the photo but it's just a reflection of the gravel in the (shiny) sill.

15 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

My daughter wanted it for a wedding car, took

My daughter-in-law (aka Mrs GT) wanted to turn up to her wedding in RMM until my wife suggested she'd get grease on her dress.  The cheek!