Inhibitor / Reverse light switch

AidanT

Put this in here as I need to understand the switch actuation as I think my switch has reversed itself. Putting my finger where the switch goes, it would seem reverse would leave the ball pin out of the switch whereas the ball pin is pushed in on other gears. Is this correct? 

My switch connects when the ball pin is pushed in which I believe is the reverse of what it should do

Thx 

Aidan 

Just to make sure I'm not being bloody stupid, I am correct that the reverse switch and the od inhibitor are one in the same switch on the top of the gearbox left hand side when looking forward?? 

1 minute ago, AidanT said:

Just to make sure I'm not being bloody stupid, I am correct that the reverse switch and the od inhibitor are one in the same switch on the top of the gearbox left hand side when looking forward?? 

Thought they were two switches

yes  agree early had two brackets off the top cover fixing and the extended remote rod had two cams one for the od one for reverse

the later( when reverse lamps became std) have the same switch under the gear remote as in Robs  link picture

the OD continued  as a support bracket and cam off the extended remote rod  

the front brackets were handed so you could not mix them up 

Pete

Yes now found the right switch and the issue is the wire between the switch and the rear loom. Its very very odd I've never come across this one the loom junction is an 8 point Lucas. When I take a power cable from the battery to the rear loom side of the plug the reverse lights work. A volt meter check the other side of the plug gives out 13.7v without anything switched bit when the plug is joined it drops to a very low voltage and the reverse lights don't illuminate 

So solution- just rewire from the reverse switch to the plug I think 

Any other views????