Electronic Ignition For Triumph GT6 Mk111.

Michael Parry

I have a '73 GT6 with a Delco and Aldon Ignitor electronic ignition, (they are also known as Pertronix). Quite expensive, I've seen them between £80 to £120, but they are probably the best. Cheaper are Accuspark around £40 and well thought off. Cheaper still Powerspark  and Sparkright £30. 

The way they work is there has to be a ring of magnets equally spaced and embedded in the ring. Getting the spacing right during manufacture can be a problem on cheaper brands particularly when you need 6. 

I still carry the old points with me in the car just in case the EI develops a problem.

There are quite a few threads on this on here, use the search option in the top right corner and type "electronic ignition" 

Doug

Michael

I am currently using a Pertronix Ignitor 2 module in my Delco distributor, twinned with a Pertronix Flamethrower 45,000V coil.

The Pertronix Ignitor 2 works by 'lobe sensing' so does not have anything fitted over the shaft (I think the original Ignitor did).

It is running very well a present, but the points are in the spares box just in case.

Ian

• Thanks 1

On 19/04/2021 at 15:36, dougbgt6 said:

lobe sensing, sounds interesting

No doubt some electronically minded expert will be able to explain, but I suspect there is a little man in the red knobbly bit with a measuring tape and a toggle switch.

The unit I have is a 92163LS (LobeSensing)

Ian

• Haha 1