Ptfe or not?

Mathew

I am not 100% sure of the mechanics of this from looking at the parts diagram, but as I am hoping to do this job later in the year would like to clarify the fitting. Am I correct that the assembly is pipe into hole , followed by olive, them lock nut screwed into hole thread. If am correct here then I feel the best option is as mentioned earlier. Locknut onto pipe, then olive, then screw nut into spare pipe fitting with the same thread (if available) to seat and compress olive. When firmly seated I add a smear of red hylomar or similar and fit properly. You can of course fit it all together, then strip down to check if the olive has compressed smear with hylomar and reassemble. You don't need a sacrificial nut to compress the olive. If done properly the nut can just be retightened.

Edited by Badwolf
Spell checker invasion!!!

31 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I am not 100% sure of the mechanics of this from looking at the parts diagram, but as I am hoping to do this job later in the year would like to clarify the fitting. Am I correct that the assembly is pipe into hole , followed by olive, them lock nut screwed into hole thread. If am correct here then I feel the best option is as mentioned earlier. Locknut onto pipe, then olive, then screw nut into spare pipe fitting with the same thread (if available) to seat and compress olive. When firmly seated I add a smear of red hylomar or similar and fit properly. You can of course fit it all together, then strip down to check if the olive has compressed smear with hylomar and reassemble. You don't hear a sacrificial nut to compress the olive. If done properly the nut can just be retightened.

All apart from red hylomar. I was going to ptfe if it leaked

I don't like PTFE for much these days. As mentioned you have to be very careful not to shred it and get bits it the plumbing, hence the hylomar which should be none setting and will clean off with solvent if needed. I have used it or similar (hermetite) for years on all my plumbing joints. Works very well. Don't use too much or it make a dreadful mess when compressed out of the joint.

That's solved your initial worry, then. Pipes shouldn't slip off that. I'd fit as per BW's instructions above but tighten the olive nut last once all else has been settled into place.

Swage was the word I was looking for earlier, Frost have a tool for doing it but as usual well made and so massive money.

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's solved your initial worry, then. Pipes shouldn't slip off that. I'd fit as per BW's instructions above but tighten the olive nut last once all else has been settled into place.

Swage was the word I was looking for earlier, Frost have a tool for doing it but as usual well made and so massive money.

Yes, i have made a crude tool with some grips but only good for the larger pipes.

That reminds me that I torqued down the Herald head last night and have not yet fitted the waterpump housing or the equivalent pipe to yours in the Herald; I'm hoping I've remembered correctly that the tab on the pipe goes over the head nut and is held in place by a second nut on the same stud, but on thinking back, the stud does not seem long enough. I also forgot to fit the engine lifting eye but sod it, I'm not intending to lift the engine out again...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I don`t half feel bloody old!

When you do actually suddenly feel old? Is it a particular birthday, maybe shortage of breath when going up stairs? Maybe pushing the Triumph in and out of the garage is more difficult? That engine/gearbox has dramatically increased in weight over the last couple of years. Or, is it the realisation that the women you chase can outrun you like a marathon athlete?????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Badwolf said:

When you do actually suddenly feel old? Is it a particular birthday, maybe shortage of breath when going up stairs? Maybe pushing the Triumph in and out of the garage is more difficult? That engine/gearbox has dramatically increased in weight over the last couple of years. Or, is it the realisation that the women you chase can outrun you like a marathon athlete?????

It`s also when they start banging on about the blight of Plastic packaging. And you remember, the Paper packaging that was around when you where a kid. Cloth shopping bags, Meat, fish (and chips) wrapped in paper, Loose veg; by the pound (not Kg). virtually everthing WAS recycleable. Bikes (and cars)where repaired not scrapped. the list can be expanded.

Pete

11 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I replaced a ceiling yesterday and halfway through realised - I can't do this on my own any more! I eventually got it finished late last night, back wrecked and legs aching but this morning I'm still sore. It's not the work, but the recovery that seems to take longer. I raced the brother-in-law up a huge flight of steps a while back, okay so he's ten years younger, but at the end I was still fighting fit.

Fighting for breath and fit for nothing.

Getting down and under the car is easy, its the getting up, having to turn round to push down or find something to hold on to to pull you up. When i got arthritis i sold everything thinking working and driving low cars was no longer an option. I soon realized sod it and just adapt . When someone says you can't i just think, you restrict yourself and do it if i want too. I know i can't lift heavy objects now and my movement is restricted but i just change the way i move around and use tools/hoists to get round others.

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Getting down and under the car is easy, its the getting up, having to turn round to push down or find something to hold on to to pull you up.

Know the feeling getting down is easy getting up is the difficult part, used to be able to change light bulbs without a step up, now I need one.

Bought a spring balancer some time back at an autojumble, very useful for helping lift heavy items onto be bench just don't let go of the cable before clipping it on.

Regards

Paul