Which cable size do i need

Andrew

Hello

I have bought a new key ignition switch and I want to move it to the original position on the dash. (someone has put an old one on the wrong place) my question is what size wiring do I need, is  all the wiring on a Triumph Heralds all the same size or are  the ignition wires thicker than normal for the lights etc

Andrew.

I would suggest that you get the wiring diagram for your car and see which cables are supposed to come off the ignition switch or look at the current switch if you are happy with the PO's wiring competency.

Once you have identified which wires you need and the colour, have a look at the Holden website www.holden.co.uk.

They list all the colour wiring combinations and the correct wiring diameter for each of the wires specific role. By using their website you will be certain you are using the correct size & colour wire for the job ahead. 

Whether you buy from them (expensive) or not is personal choice; but at least you will know what to ask for if (when) looking elsewhere.

Just a thought & good luck.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard

Bought some 25 amp wire from my local motor parts shop in various colours to suit the original colours all wired up and new solenoid switch mounted in dashboard it the proper place. Pity the steering lock version is not available from anywhere . Am I right in saying that it was only the last heralds that had a steering lock. Anyway all wired up now I need to sort out the water problem pressurising the system

Thanks for your help and advise

Regards

Andrew

Hello Andrew.

That's quick work - well done !!

I can only comment on my J reg (June 1971) Vitesse which does have a steering lock. I would assume that as both cars ran parallel then the answer is yes for a Herald as well.

It is possible to get second hand steering columns that incorporate the steering lock but they do not often come up.

Best wishes.

Richard.