Rev counter.

Anglefire

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Allegedly the ONLY Vittesse Coupe, has popped up on the front of the latest Coureir, LHD too?.

Pete

I saw the magazine cover on the FB page, not got my copy yet. Yes LHD and old French vignettes (road tax) in the windscreen

11 hours ago, Chris A said:

old French vignettes (road tax) in the windscreen

Never noticed that!. Looks a bit scruffy, (passenger door needs looking at?) but I guess a viable rescue?. given it`s "historic importance". Wonder why "the only one"?.

Pete

The only text on this car in the Courier is in an editorial of about 60 words from Chris Gunby.   No mention of the evidence that this is a 'factory' coupe, when it is so easy for an owner to change the roof in the Herald series, but no doubt there will be a detailed article shortly, explaining.    I hope they can contrast this apparent one-off with the factory's attitide to other Vitesse variants, like the Estate.   That, they absolutely refused to build and left to Park Lane to construct, compelling them to buy Herald estates, and then the parts and trim for conversion, massively inflating the cost.   IMHO, a Vitesse Estate would have caught a market that the Scimitar and many later cars capitalised on.

JOhn

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnD said:

IMHO, a Vitesse Estate would have caught a market that the Scimitar and many later cars capitalised on.

JOhn

I would have thought that an estate version could have been a good seller, Triumph had all the bits so the productions costs wouldn't have been prohibitive. The extra power being useful for a full load, maybe back then estates didn't have any appeal to the better off?

11 hours ago, Chris A said:

I would have thought that an estate version could have been a good seller, Triumph had all the bits so the productions costs wouldn't have been prohibitive. The extra power being useful for a full load, maybe back then estates didn't have any appeal to the better off?

I wonder f it was thought to be a threat to another model in the range?

I had an owner converted Vit Mk 2 estate for about 13 years and I loved it.

It did have the usual problems with the handbrake guides roto/non-roto but that was a minor problem.

Also had a 1500 engined 1200 estate for 3 years which was also great, but a very different car.

C

I was offered a full Genuine C-V rear-end, back in the 80`s when we had the Vittesse (Saloon), It was a tempting swap. (the donor had been a major front end write off). But by that period SWMBO was already having problems with "mobility". and it got chopped in for a Capri Auto with PAS.

Pete

16 hours ago, PeteH said:

I was offered a full Genuine C-V rear-end, back in the 80`s when we had the Vittesse (Saloon), It was a tempting swap. (the donor had been a major front end write off). But by that period SWMBO was already having problems with "mobility". and it got chopped in for a Capri Auto with PAS.

Pete

I'm looking for a convertible at present and have already been offered two converted saloons... "it doesn't make any difference, that's how the factory did it." I'm still waiting for the saloon with the roof removed to come along... but our cars are very easily mixed and matched and after so many years it's not surprising that a lot of them have been.