Hard top for Herald transportation?

Jeffds1360

Been watching on Ebay this wreck?? of a hard top and putting in silly offers.

Damn the man went and accepted my last one!

Now need to arrange to transport it from Thatcham, near Newbury the 300 miles up to home.

Anyone got suggestions for a courier and an idea of prices?

Also.... where to get glass, seals and fittings.....oh boy, what have I done :(

13 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Also.... where to get glass, seals and fittings...

Make them! 

Mine was an old S&D hardtop that was badly crazed, so the fibreglass was repaired and repainted, the windows are all cut from new perspex and the seals were old bus window rubber seals - they had the correct tight profile of bends.

As for clamps etc you can make up your own; same front header-rail catches as the convertible uses but otherwise any kind of bracket or clamp that will match existing fittings at b-posts or under rear deck.

DSC_0142.thumb.jpg.7cf6a2cfa406e7d054032acea89994a4.jpg DSCF7385.jpg.b1c57a32d21dc82217fabb1136c9c422.jpg

• Like 1

Jeff - I have a list of COH Baines sealing rubbers for a MkIV Spitfire hardtop that you are welcome to when I can find them. Can you post the link to the item please. Can't help with glass though. May be able to help with repair photos when I pick up on the restore again.

£375 or best offer!!

Looks in better nick than mine...until you get the paint off.

Guesstimate, maybe about £100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-herald-Hardtop-roof-/233980493146?hash=item367a52fd5a%3Ag%3Avi0AAOSwojRgRPZH&nma=true&si=bSymxEvX2IctcAPt9SSOmjRgTcs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edit. It looks like Herald hard tops are very scare so my guesstimate is cr*p...what do I know??!!

Edited by Badwolf
Rubbish estimate

Eek I paid  200 :( he was asking 400, then 375 then 360 and I saw they were 800 new ! So I thought 400 for a decent one with all the bits ( which cost about 200) so I offered 150, then 175. He accepted my next offer.

looks like I've bee done 

mind he is going to sort a courier but i think he expects me to pay.

Wonder how much that will be ?

Aaaargh

hey, when you go to next paragraph the capital does not come naturally but it does after a full stop. Yes

no

not ???

16 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Eek I paid  200 :( he was asking 400, then 375 then 360 and I saw they were 800 new ! So I thought 400 for a decent one with all the bits ( which cost about 200) so I offered 150, then 175. He accepted my next offer.

looks like I've bee done 

mind he is going to sort a courier but i think he expects me to pay.

Wonder how much that will be ?

Aaaargh

hey, when you go to next paragraph the capital does not come naturally but it does after a full stop. Yes

no

not ???

No, I don't think you have been done. You have to think what it's worth to you. To me it would be worth more if it were for a spit, for a herald, not worth much. However considering that there does appear to be a scarcity of herald hard tops it's probably worth a lot more than I originally thought. Others will have a better idea.

12 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

for a herald, not worth much.

:)herald is a spit+ more seats more room and more easily accessed :)

I honestly could not get in, or out ! of a spit, not with my back......

which I further knacked getting UNDER the herald. Ha ha. Alls good, time for bed, I'm knacked. That 2nd jab is taking effect...snoreeeee

thank you for input and if you find the rubbers, give me a shout. Ta.

That one's quite unusual - never saw that type before. They don't use glass, usually always perspex and BW's link to COH Baines should get a good rubber seal when you know which profile it needs.

I paid £50 for mine and almost took £150 for it when it was finished... must hold out for a better offer.

Rear catches are quite basic; they just screw under the bodywork.

s-l1600-66.jpg.f5834f28d4db7bd03dcc50a2970ef75e.jpg  s-l1600-76.jpg.90a18a23c382e1abe0b43de58cc5f450.jpg

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Ok guy, once I get it up here I'll measure up. It seems very square?

Screenshot_20210425-202208_eBay.jpg

Hi just looking at this thread and not entirely sure that's a Herald hardtop.  I might be missing something here but it looks more like a it might be for a TR6?

• Thanks 1

Oh no..... it was advertised as a herald.... I will confirm with seller before shipping.

I thought it looked a bit like badwolfs spotty top but are they not rounded??

Look lads I'm definitely falling asleep. Bye.

P.S. TomL, your posting is hidden in the 'quote' and only visible when that is expanded ??!!

How did that happen. ?

28 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Jeff - Don't want to worry you but Tom might have a point see pictures below. TR6 owners can you advise please?

image.png.7e9766cfa5fd92097eed1946a6b065b7.png

Well spotted, that man! I debated the possibilities for a while but doubt if it could even be adapted to fit the Herald.

Jeff: you should be able to get a refund easily enough.

• Sad 1