Our wonderful suppliers

Mathew

Ok, first i will not name the company until it is resolved! Don't  ask as i don't  want the thread pulled.

I have been getting parts for my 2500s and spitfires for this year, as we did not go away last and are not this year for a holiday.

Mostly they have been good, with perhaps a little nudge when slow .

I have been overcharged by almost 60 pounds by one of these companies and no matter how many emails they do not at present seem to want to accept and pay me back, I started to get somewhere when i sent them a screenshot of one of the items but only to 17 pounds!

I have today sent my final demand for my money back with an itemised list of what was bought and taken back with screen shots of the prices from there own website  . Asking for my card to be credited the amount owed and for them to contact me today.

Where do i go from here, my credit card provider or county court?

For all of you to avoid this happening  . When buying a kit, check the kit price against there itemised list they produce, there is a good chance it does not match. Before you jump on that, they charged the greater while claiming its reduced items make the price! It does not, check it.

If getting say for example a discount for "drive it day" just an example then make sure it is applied ,not their "oh yea we applied that!"

When returning goods, do it on a separate transaction, i had the value deducted when i paid, then had the amount for one item taken off from my credit card only for them to call me and say i underpaid and then take it back!!! Then deny they did and say they had credited my account for the item!!

If i had much hair left i would be pulling it out, but i won't stop now its a point of principle. 

Be careful out there!

Small claims court is very effective at getting businesses' interest. Its very easy to start the process and its not worth them involving the legal people so they pay up including the additional cost... 

1 hour ago, johny said:

Small claims court is very effective at getting businesses' interest. Its very easy to start the process and its not worth them involving the legal people so they pay up including the additional cost... 

The last company i took to the small claims court went bust!, did not see a penny! That was for 800 pounds! About 20 years ago. But as i used a credit card wondered if they would be my first call?

Hot press

Their accounts department has gone through the email and a further 45 pounds has been credited on top of the 17 pounds. So a little more than even i was claiming!

Although the situation has been corrected (when i see the money)it has left me sad that a company i have been dealing with for 30 years took many emails over a week and no apology. 

Just be careful when you shop especially when an invoice that should be straight forward is so mixed up with part numbers instead of kit's with the parts listed! Funny , if they had not mucked one thing up i would not have gone through the invoice as much as i did, assuming it was correct. I wonder how many times now that could have happened. 

Well done Mathew for sticking with it.

For future reference always pay by credit card where possible, don't be seduced by the ease of PayPal. Then, if it goes wrong, after a reasonable time of course, threaten to put the matter directly in the hands of your credit card company under a Section 75 claim. I think that the total bill paid has to be over £100 but only one penny of that has to be on the card. This has worked for me every time. I will post a link later as an edit for further details. This is well worth remembering.

Link..

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

Edited by Badwolf
Link added

Phoned the Vitesse insurers, on club panel, last Wednesday about the agreed value, they told me they would extend it for a year if I was happy with the existing valuation. I asked for an email confirming, which they agreed to send that day, it took two further phone calls and till this morning to get what had been promised.

Fills you with confidence.

Regards

Paul.

19 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Well done Mathew for sticking with it.

For future reference always pay by credit card where possible, don't be seduced by the ease of PayPal. Then, if it goes wrong, after a reasonable time of course, threaten to put the matter directly in the hands of your credit card company under a Section 75 claim. I think that the total bill paid has to be over £100 but only one penny of that has to be on the card. This has worked for me every time. I will post a link later as an edit for further details. This is well worth remembering.

Link..

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

I agree paying by credit card is a good safeguard for larger sums.   

However I must praise PayPal for refunding me in full when a wheel I purchased  from a dodgy seller never arrived.  Just DO NOT use "friends and family" for commercial transactions which will leave you unprotected.

31 minutes ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

I agree paying by credit card is a good safeguard for larger sums.   

However I must praise PayPal for refunding me in full when a wheel I purchased  from a dodgy seller never arrived.  Just DO NOT use "friends and family" for commercial transactions which will leave you unprotected.

You are spot on there with Paypal, never use friends and family unless they are just that.... As you have NO protection.

Alf

2 hours ago, johny said:

yes I see now that ebay has sold off Paypal theyre disconnecting themselves from it but want your bank details instead😵

That's so they can claim their fees by direct transfer, which means that you have to fight them if they get it wrong, and they will say, 'pay your incoming money more quickly' (!!!). They obviously want control of the ins and outs that they pay/take to/from your account and also and cut out the middle man not having to pay Paypol fees now that they have split.

yes cant say I like the idea much although sellers will save the 5% Paypal charge. I think also ebay has historically had problems getting paid on time so this change kills two birds with one stone...

3 hours ago, johny said:

Up from 10% cheeky b@st#r&s. Trouble is FB marketplace or the others are no competition...

Stopped selling on ebay a few years ago, only buy. Gumtree or car and classic now.

I only tend to list on eBay when they have their £1 max-selling-fee offer these days. I have had great success with F/book marketplace - but I don’t use it for car stuff.

back to Mathews initial problem, personally I would allow a trader/company 10 days to resolve the situation, after which I’d raise a case with the credit card company.

...... Andy 

Amazon is worse.

I started selling old books and things back in 2004 and it was OK as we had a special posal rate for books here in Germany at the time.

I stopped selling because they were charging customers 3-7€ and I was getting 1-2€ for shipping which did not cover the cost to me.

When this was highlighted to them through the official channels they said "oh, just make sure your asking price is high enough!"...well... they take 1€ per sale plus 10-15% depending on the item with a minimum of 50 c€nts (this info is ate least 5 years old I doubt it has gotten better).

The problem was there were this huge warehouses dumping books on Amazon at 1€ or even .01€ and given their volume they could afford it.

All I wanted was to not throw away things that were in my opinion still decent enough and likely never to be produced again. When I the got a complaint form a guy claiming the book was in worse condition than advertised (so much time had passed that the pages of the paperback started to "fluff up" from humidity) that I got completely shafted because they took all the money he had paid (a total of 7€ of which I saw 3.40€) from me so I LOST money. I also got a complaint because Amazon  changed a picture of a product without telling me and on the picture there was a pair of nuts (the 6-sided metal kind) and I was only selling one and he thought he was getting 2. He threatened me with legal action so I called it quits.

I switched to eBay for a while as they had a phase where 1€ starting price and no reserve auctions were commission free (or rather, a fixed percentage, I think 10-15%) and I could set the shipping price so the worst thing that would happen was I would only "earn" 1€.

Since then I have discovered "eBay Want Ads" (ebay-kleinanzeigen) and it is completely free and things can be kept up there indefinitely. I can set any price and I have usually gotten rid of everything so far.. I have some snow chains that for some reason NOBODY wants...(even in winter...) !

ebay-co-uk seems to have put the fear of Higher Powers into most sellers that they MUST use their Global Shipping scheme. Right after Brexit I saw a magazine that would have cost 10 GBP to send to Germany which is just crazy.

Some sellers will work with you on the shipping but a lot won't.

19 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

eBay now charge 12.8% seller fees. That's quite a whack, especially when you think of the volume of sales.

And the to**ers charge on the postage as well which to me sounds like fraud? They are always saying keep your postal charges down.... how can you when you keep getting ripped off. :(

Tony.

5 minutes ago, poppyman said:

And the to**ers charge on the postage as well which to me sounds like fraud? They are always saying keep your postal charges down.... how can you when you keep getting ripped off. :(

Tony.

So do quite a few Triumph suppliers; they total your order, add the postage and THEN calculate the VAT. Sneaky...

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

ebay-co-uk seems to have put the fear of Higher Powers into most sellers that they MUST use their Global Shipping scheme. Right after Brexit I saw a magazine that would have cost 10 GBP to send to Germany which is just crazy.

Some sellers will work with you on the shipping but a lot won't.

I've recently had a gearbox posted to me for £7, two Herald steel wheels for £15 and a huge heavy sheet metal folder bought for £80 with completely free postage. Contrast that with sellers asking £45 for small metal panels, and £12 to post points and a condensor that will fit in small packet post and would be about £2 locally. It seems some sellers don't care; how much input eBay has in that I don't really know but it does colour what I buy or who I buy from.

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

Tony.

they did that because people were selling items at low asking price (only on which ebays fee used to be charged) and making it up on the postage....

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

So do quite a few Triumph suppliers; they total your order, add the postage and THEN calculate the VAT. Sneaky...

I believe by law VAT is due on postage. Certainly when you buy a stamp Im sure theres a VAT component in the cost.... 

16 minutes ago, johny said:

I believe by law VAT is due on postage. Certainly when you buy a stamp Im sure theres a VAT component in the cost.... 

I thought it depends how postage is treated, but it is MUCH simpler for a company to charge VAT on the whole bill than trying to seperate it out. Something like that.

VAT is not chargeable on Royal Mail; only on private delivery companies.

"If your business uses the Royal Mail for delivery to your customers, you will not pay VAT on the cost of postage, and hence you will not be able to reclaim VAT. The reason for this exemption is that Royal Mail are classed as the “universal postal service provider in the UK” and they are subject to price and regulatory control. 

Businesses using courier and delivery services other than the Royal Mail, can expect to be charged VAT on delivery charges."

So: if I'm charged VAT on postage and it arrives via Royal Mail, it's incorrect and possibly illegal.