Our wonderful suppliers

Mathew

12 hours ago, thescrapman said:

And they with hold your money until you provide them.

Got my first e-mail from Paypal to the extent that a seller I bought stuff from on March 29th has closed their Paypal account and not provided any other details, so they've refunded my payment. 

I wonder if that's a forerunner of things to come? I'd be very wary of providing my bank details to unknown amateur sellers - at least Paypal were the only ones with the data, so it limited access and any potential fraud.

16 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

So: if I'm charged VAT on postage and it arrives via Royal Mail, it's incorrect and possibly illegal.

I doubt it. The company will be selling you "postage" and so can charge VAT. They are then free to send via whoever they please, and the VATman is happy. 

It is a bit like buying books at an auction, you can be charged VAT as they are a "lot" rather than books. 

Re payments to ebay, I had to sign up to their new T+Cs. Put my account details etc in. Next theng, I got a message from my bank that I had set up a direct debit. digging deeper, Ebay have upped their sellers fees to almost 13%, but that includes payment processing. Whether you get paid in cash, dubloons or via credit card. And the eBay payment system will be a proprietary one, so perfectly safe. As good as buying from M+S, john lewis or the TSSC club shop. The actual seller will never see you payment details.

On teh plus side, ebay payments now come into your account immediately. But a downside, if a buyer raises a claim, and you don't settle it so ebay get involved, the seller gets charged £16odd fee, plus the buyer will get a refund. I did wonder why a recent purchase I made of a temp sensor that was rubbish (half the claimed resistance at 80 degrees), and the seller stopped replying, got refunded immediately I opened a case. The temp sender was £8, the seller did not want to be paying ebay £16 and still have to refund me. But I bet there will be unscrupulous buyers out there now they have this to wield over a seller.

24 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Bought four items of eBay yesterday morning, two delivered less than 24 hours later, paid by paypal no other details requested.

I keep a card with a low limit for online payments.

Regards

Paul

Yes, a dedicated card for on-line/car show seller's payments and an old bank account with only a token amount of cash in it that you can add to for payments out or clear when payments come in. A little messy, but it works for me an gives piece of mind. Someone tried to defraud a credit card a couple of years ago after I had been to the NEC show. Why??, I thought, someone from the show. No, someone had hacked/obtained the details from another merchant I had dealt with, and tried to spend 5 grand at Tesco!!!

1 hour ago, clive said:

I doubt it. The company will be selling you "postage" and so can charge VAT. They are then free to send via whoever they please, and the VATman is happy. 

It's a workaround - if I stipulate an option on their site and tick a box for Royal Mail as an alternative to other carriage methods then possibly they can say I've opted to 'purchase' postage however it's still VAT exempt. If they then send my order by Royal Mail, after charging me VAT, but do not pass the VAT on as they themselves aren't being charged, it's possibly tax fraud. Either way it's a sharp practice and says a lot about how they treat their customers. I've learned over the years who not to buy parts from.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

DPD have told the driver to  sort it out  !!!!!

Pre-Brexit I ordered parts in the UK and for nearly 2 weeks no one knew where it was. The German DPD page would not accept the number I was given so I went to the UK DPD site and while I could find the parcel it had some comment about consignment address not findable.

There was ANOTHER parcel number on the page that worked on the German site and I changed the delivery from "signed for" to "can be dropped off at a secure location" and put my address and added "back terrace".

I didn't hear anything  for a day or two and since there were no numbers on the webpages and the seller was getting no help I shamed them on social media (twitter and facebook) and it arrived in 24 hours!

The plonker just laid on the bin storage next to the road... close to 100€ worth of parts... that anyone could have taken.

I sent e-mails to all DPD contacts I could find including social media asking what went wrong. All I got back was "enjoy your shipment"....

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Colin - Trouble with postage etc is that as soon as you wrap it up etc or take it to the post office/collection point, it will become a service and then its VATable. They have you all ways.

That probably means that when I drink beer, I become a beer processing facility and liable to business rates. Doubly so when I hit the Gents and become a waste disposal facility.

28 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That probably means that when I drink beer, I become a beer processing facility and liable to business rates. Doubly so when I hit the Gents and become a waste disposal facility.

VAT = Value Added Tax. Therefore anything I touch/use should have VRT applied. . .

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

I wish there were a way to pay politicians based on their "value added".

Payment by results would be good enough, they would have to pay the taxpayers 😁

Courier company "lost" 25Kg+ of power steering unit, During First lockdown. Easysteer sent out a complete replacement unit!. I understand it did eventually get found and was returned to them after a couple of months!.

I too have a very low limit Credit Card, paid out of an old, rarely used account, used just for online and over phone use, even to pay Pay-Pal.

Back in 2003/4, I had an ISP with AOL Paid by direct debit in the USA. Paid from Barclays, Despite Multiple Written Cancellations, they kept tying to obtain D-D`s from the Barclay account, Barclay kept refunding me. In the end I was advised the only ways was to close the account completely!.

Pete

7 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

DPD have told the driver to  sort it out  !!!!!

well trying to get some sense has ended up with headless chicken mode  and the exhaust is now heading back from whence it came 

will i ever see this darn pipe 

a day wasted in anticipation of something sensible 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

well trying to get some sense has ended up with headless chicken mode  and the exhaust is now heading back from whence it came 

will i ever see this darn pipe 

a day wasted in anticipation of something sensible 

Pete

My down pipe arrived from chriswitter yesterday, going to fit it this weekend. No problems. The spitfire bits from fitchets arrived only because the courier called me for directions, they had put the wrong house name on! 

had a reply from Chris tonight , house number was way out   dont know who's Oops  that was 

if i had known i could have cold called and grabbed them 

i guess next week now with bank hols added in 

didnt want to fit the bl**dy things anyway  hey ho 

Pete 

37 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

had a reply from Chris tonight , house number was way out   dont know who's Oops  that was 

if i had known i could have cold called and grabbed them 

i guess next week now with bank hols added in 

didnt want to fit the bl**dy things anyway  hey ho 

Pete 

Had a hub puller from the club, was delivered about 6 doors up the road, got a notification it was delivered! Rang the club and they found out where it was delivered. So i walked up and knocked on the door and asked for my parcel, they looked a bit puzzled how i knew it was there. They did hand it over though and i could ring the club and tell them not to send another.

8 hours ago, Mathew said:

was delivered about 6 doors up the road,

I get this regularly. So much so 2 people in the road have almost become "Friends". I live at No 4. I get 44`s mail (and they`ve had mine!) and No4 "The Bryants" (off our road) is another "regular". The regular Posties used to know. But during lockdown we`ve had so many different Posties and the use of Couriers, many of whom don`t even speak English!!. It`s all gone to rats. But how you "lose" 25Kg+ of Power Steering Kit???.

Pete

good grief    its here    yippee   

good bit of kit  . has pheonix motifs on it 

this is new downpipe and single silencer semi sports , i can take my sagging flexible off from last years front silencer removal  i mean you dont need 3

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

good grief    its here    yippee   

good bit of kit  . has pheonix motifs on it 

this is new downpipe and single silencer semi sports , i can take my sagging flexible off from last years front silencer removal  i mean you dont need 3

Pete

New bit of under bling, where are the pictures?