Our wonderful suppliers

Mathew

23 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

At last. Pete no longer has to contend with his sagging bits. "Reasons to be cheerful....I think" (you can sing the last bit of you feel the need)

1-2-3. 

Special mention must go to Mev Spares (Jumblemaster) on eBay for getting a set of Spitfire front discs to me in less than 24 hours at a carriage cost of only £7.50.

I only bought them yesterday afternoon and they were waiting in the garage half an hour ago. 

Just had Davies Craig temp sensor and in line adaptor arrive from T7 Designs, ordered less than 24 hours ago. Great price and the third time I've used them, always arrived in good condition and next day. Highly recommended supplier! 

Iain 

A thank you to Canley classics.  Having ordered one of there kits for the spitfire i did not check it properly and put the box in the car to fit last weekend. Found out half way through fitting that i did not have two vital components. Rang them on the tuesday and without quible they sent them out, although they were puzzled as there stock was correct. Roll on yesterday and they came, wrong parts! Rang and the penny dropped which bits were missing and they sent them next day delivery and will pay for the wrong bits to come back.

The service was great as everyone makes mistakes but they handled it very well. Many ask why people recommend them, this is why.

Well done Canley, and my car is back on four wheels again.

Slight drift here, but please bear with me.

Our wonderful suppliers are one thing but transportation is another. Be warned that DHL drop off services can be a nightmare. Booked and paid for a parcel weighing 13kg last week. The DHL site gave me a list of local drop off points for their service. Great, thought I. Got out the car, down the road to the local point, passed the parcel to the bloke behind the counter...he picks it up, what does this weigh? Answer 13kg. Too heavy, our limit is 10kg. (??!!) But the DHL website gave me your address for this specific parcel!!....where is the next nearest drop off spot that I can use.....I don't know (!!??..oh really). I leave, very disgruntled. Go home complain to DHL via email. Get a complete list of drop off spots for 10-15kg parcels in my area. Next day, go to another...exactly the same story....very, very unhappy. Try a third. Behind the counter is a TINY asian lady, about 4 foot 6 inches tall..she had a box to stand on to use the till (honestly). I say, I have a parcel in the car 13kg in weight, is that a problem? She asks, is it a big parcel. I 'air indicate' it's rough size. Bring it in. I do. She checks it in. I ask, do you want me to put it anywhere for you. No thanks, as she picks it up like a Russian weightlifter and takes it out the back.

The reason for all of this is a word of caution if you are sending parts. Make sure that the drop off points will actually take it. Don't believe the web sites, in this case I couldn't find any reference to a 10kg limit on the service that I had booked. As for my complaints (now several)...all ignored...got the time being!!!

Ha just been to local homebase for some grass seed (dont ask) 

you wind your way round the layout which is now boutique not DIY and decide to get some bags of topsoil to firm over the seed

well thats outside the front so you wind your way all over the place theres no signage for tills or exit 

found the way out , you cant go out you have not paid   Grrr  i want some top soil its outside the tills  

Oh ok so wind this blasted trolley now loaded back into the store and fight the ruddy thing wich has 5 sets of wheels through all the daft islands and closed off displays only to find the queue is now 30 people  

but to get on the end needs another 6 laps of the crackers store layout and join the queue

sorry theres a delay only 1 of the 6 tills work as a power spike has blown all the tills up and it obviously has serge protection built in the IT     Hmmmm!!

its all got to be replace by the time we got to the till with staff taking the brunt of what the !!! the guy in front had been there so long his pansies were now a 12" tall 

heaven knows what happens in a fire as there are no exit or till signage  just loads of muppets walking around somewhat   LOST its more like Hampton Court Maze 

and when i get home the grass seed  ISNT   Grrrr   

Pete

Pete. I have much sympathy for you. Not H-B but a local(ish) Large Garden centre, Through the door, required item just on the left 10 paces and left turn through door left turn. Checkout dead in front 50 ft?. NOT a Bloody Chance!!. It`s "follow the yellow brick road" (well the green arrows actually) through every department of the emporium Including the exterior plants, eventually finish up 10 feet from the door, which had it been in use, was just 50ft from tills. SWMBO is by now heartilly wishing she had used the mobility scooter. All I want is a long sit down and a large coffee.!!. End result? Pack of Blood, fish and bonemeal!

Pete

A Filling Station I sometimes use has one door in, one out and a very definite one way system. Last week I found out after a complete circumference of the shop that the newspapers were outside the front door. Had to go past the till, pay for what I had, go outside, put the stuff in the car, go pick a newspaper, go back in and all the way round the system again to the tills.

Ref BW and DHL: I bought stuff from Paddocks on April 17th, UPS collected and e-mailed me a delivery date of three days hence. Next day they sent me another e-mail to say they were delaying delivery by another week - no explanation why. That would have put it back to 26th April but for some reason they didn't deliver until the 29th. The next order of a pair of brake calipers took three days, and were much heavier. A pair of brake discs were sent from England via Royal Mail in under 24 hours for £7.50. Sometimes there's no logic to it all.

26 minutes ago, andybeau said:

DHL is Drop it Hide it Lose it, or 

Dirty Horrible Layabouts

Oi!! you be careful there M`lad. I did some agency LGV "trunking" for them in the "Nauties". Night work in their depots is like the United Nations!. Especially the old Huddersfield one! Just off the M62. UPS, probably run the tightest ship. Their big MAN`s and Scania`s are cracking drives.

Pete

As many of you know two of my favourite suppliers are fleabay and Liddle. Fleabay, over the period of the covid lockdown appears to have problems with many sellers. Not just poor quality, but wrongly described, wrong size, long delivery times. I have returned a lot of stuff or simply been given a refund and told (in dreadfully worded, pigeon English messages) to junk the item, it's incredible. To write off so much product, the buying in price must be sod all!! Has anyone else had similar problems. It's not just the cheaper end of the product range either it's like a lottery as to..will it work, is it as described, will it fall apart before I open the box. At least, as the end of the pandemic appears to be in sight, I can get out to look at products, that is, if I can find anywhere to go to look at them? I must say that Shamazon are better...most times.

4 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

At least, as the end of the pandemic appears to be in sight, I can get out to look at products, that is, if I can find anywhere to go to look at them? I must say that Shamazon are better...most times.

I used to be very sneaky and probably contributed singlehandedly to the demise of the High Street, but used to see something I liked, make a note of the serial number or brand, then buy online, or elsewhere, for half the price. I have three very very good local Autofactors which are rock bottom cheap, all a few miles out of town in warehouses, and one town centre shop which is massively expensive - for example Brake cleaner aerosol £15.95, and three for a tenner in the others.

I use eBay a lot - at least I will until I check out their new payment options, but at 12.8% seller fees I don't think they'll get much more trade off me that way. I know the local shops just can't compete with online with regards to range of products and prices, but there are still items like oil and paint that can no longer be posted to me, and there are always things that are needed immediately and can't wait on postage.

Don't use Amazon much but recently had two orders cancelled and refunded, one not in stock other could not supply to UK "because of covid restrictions". Not had any trouble with ebay but have found that the main description of the item sometimes not matching title, different size, different material etc.

I read very carefully and if unsure I order from another supplier.

Regards

Paul.

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I used to be very sneaky and probably contributed singlehandedly to the demise of the High Street, but used to see something I liked, make a note of the serial number or brand, then buy online, or elsewhere, for half the price.

Have looked for items on ebay then found the company's website and ordered direct, recently wanted some UPVC window gasket about three pounds cheaper direct on a sub twenty pound order and paid by PayPal.

Regards

Paul

Recently bought tyres on ebay, used a seller that i had never had a problem with before, but.........

Needed four tyres, set off. See they had two on one listing, and a listing of one with option for two. You can see where this is going. Purchased four, not dispatched after arrival date, no contact details!! And no communication from the seller. The only way i could move was to open a dispute of non delivered item. Two days later the seller contacted me to admit they only had two in stock. Refund asked for and given. They were quite happy to sit on my money for over two weeks! Now on only going to click on full set on a listing or if two that they have more that 2 sets. Ordered from a different supplier 2 sets of two, arrived the next day and was 30 pound cheaper!

I ordered some used books over the Bay of e ... this will be my first shipment from the UK since since December.

He didn't mark them as a "gift" so I am curious if German customs will pick up on it....

3 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

I ordered some used books over the Bay of e ... this will be my first shipment from the UK since since December.

He didn't mark them as a "gift" so I am curious if German customs will pick up on it....

I haven't ordered any bits from the UK either but Madame has had quite a few embroidery kits and bits from Scotland. None have been any longer being delivered or incurred any extra charges. The packages have all had the correct customs stickers on. They have all been sent by normal postal services, not courrier companies. Fingers crossed for you.