My 2500 allergic to unleaded

sulzerman

14 hours ago, PeteH said:

There is an (alleged) issue with ethanol in fuels, with 10% ethanol on the cards, It tends to degrade more quickly in storage?.

Pete

So, if there is a problem with E10 what about the E85 being sold? Or is the 'E' for something else?

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Colin - ( morning rant coming up). It realled gets me when business people flea the country to set up their businesses in say Singapore or China so they can produce their products without having to comply with UK employment regulations and then ship back expensive items and make huge profits. I once had a client who bragged to me that he had moved out to Indonesia because his labour bill was greatly reduced and that he wouldn't otherwise be able to make money on his already stupidly expensive trainers. The only way that I see to return UK manufacturing is to tax these imports so that the UK products are more attractive. Not a popular move I know but if employers in the UK have to pay minimum wages and the Orient pays it's workers sod all and force them to work in appalling conditions then there will never be a fair playing field. We all love to pay as little as possible for our product but that's the way it is going to be. Sorry about the thread drift. I'll go and find my pills.

Over here there is a growing tendency for companies to re-relocate back to Europe. Although the costs can be higher to produce the goods transport costs are reduced plus reaction times are much shorter. The companies coming back are those that want to be able to update their product and get the new version/style on the market quickly.

3 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Colin - ( morning rant coming up) 

No rant but a good point - however - it galls me when the host country refuses to pay its' workers a decent wage, or gives them proper working conditions, and then the UK ends up paying for it in the form of Overseas Aid. As you say: if the host country can't comply then tax them into compliance, otherwise we have billionaires by the dozen raking in cash form the efforts of workers which other countries pay for.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

E5 in the standard  but zero ethanol  in the super unleaded.

Nigel

Just got back from the weekly shop at Tosco. Had a look at their Super Unleaded pump (Momentum). The pump is clearly marked E5 which I assume means 5% ethanol added.

3 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Just got back from the weekly shop at Tosco. Had a look at their Super Unleaded pump (Momentum). The pump is clearly marked E5 which I assume means 5% ethanol added.

Yes, I'm going back about 3 years when I said the super was zero ethanol. Tesco Momentum is indeed now E5, and my classics still seem to get on fine with it.

Nigel

Ive said before we get more troubles from crap chinesse rubber hoses than any E5 or E10 fuels

anyone heard of fuel pumps and carbs dissolving   , its a bit similar to the millenium clock myths    and  the end of the world tosh 

we know it can affect but so far  E hasnt dissolved your ancilliaries 

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive said before we get more troubles from crap chinesse rubber hoses than any E5 or E10 fuels

anyone heard of fuel pumps and carbs dissolving   , its a bit similar to the millenium clock myths    and  the end of the world tosh 

we know it can affect but so far  E hasnt dissolved your ancilliaries 

Pete

Remember how unleaded was going to kill all our classic car engines in short order? More 'end of the world tosh' to quote Pete. I ran the GT6 for nearly 30,000 miles on mainly super unleaded without additives and when I eventually removed the cylinder head for a full engine rebuild, there was only the slightest trace of valve seat recession.

I'm convinced E5 will be fine for classics as long as good quality hoses and seals are used for the fuel system. We will have to wait and see about E10.

Nigel

• Like 1

I dont think the issue with E5/10 has to do with it`s ability to affect Some components (Hose etc). That is manageable. It`s the potential to degrade when stored. No problem with engines used regularly an refilled regularly. Just items that are stored for (sometimes) months on end. I used unleaded in the Beamer, for many years with no effect on the heads, what I did do however was go out the way to run a tank of "Full Fat" leaded periodically.

Pete

10 hours ago, Chris A said:

So, if there is a problem with E10 what about the E85 being sold? Or is the 'E' for something else?

Luckily the E85 never arrived in the U.K., only ever seem It in France.

very little will run on it. 

Thunk it I sold to trap unsuspecting Brits visiting.

51 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Luckily the E85 never arrived in the U.K., only ever seem It in France.

very little will run on it. 

Thunk it I sold to trap unsuspecting Brits visiting.

I have a friend with a Dacia Duster and that will run on it as standard. Another has a Renault Mégane convertible that has had a black box added to enable it to run on it. The law was changed here a while ago to make it legal to modify engines. The main attraction is the price, around 1/3 that of the real stuff

18 minutes ago, PeteH said:

One good recomendation. Is NOT to put it in a Diesel. (Don`t ask me how I know this!).

Pete

Yes, my dad did that! Half filled, drove it a couple of miles then realised. Then left 3 months in welwyn garden city as he lost the keys! They as if by magic turned up in my washing machine! Just after someone working for us visited! I still don't know how i should have had them as he was driving it!!!!

On 29/04/2021 at 22:22, Badwolf said:

I think the environmentalists really need to have a very hard rethink. If the Duke of Edinburgh and David Attenborough have had all this on the go since the 1950s (I think), then the yoof of the day who think it's all new, have a long way to go

Interestingly i saw Prince Philip being interviewed in one of the tribute programmes.

.At least 40 years ago he was saying the rate of human population increase is completely unsustainable.

Greenies won`t address this though,we have to apologise for the industrial revolution now.

S

multi fuel you need a Commer TS3 2 stroke diesel 

Rootes two-stroke diesel engine. with a few easy-to-perform modifications this engine was adapted to run on several fuels including gas oil, regular gasoline, military gasoline (80 - 86 octane), kerosene base fuels and jet fuels JP3 - JP4 and JP5.

7 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

multi fuel you need a Commer TS3 2 stroke diesel 

Rootes two-stroke diesel engine. with a few easy-to-perform modifications this engine was adapted to run on several fuels including gas oil, regular gasoline, military gasoline (80 - 86 octane), kerosene base fuels and jet fuels JP3 - JP4 and JP5.

I bet it would even run on snake oil