Spitfire Mk2 Engine

cxd01

Hello All, I'm hoping that some members could provide me with some advice and options relating to my soon to be arriving Mk2 Spitfire?

At some stage in the cars life, a Herald 1200 engine (GD115896HE) has been fitted, retaining twin carbs and the correct exhaust manifold (I think)

Ideally I would like to get the car back to original specification as I assume the bhp will be down?

I'm guessing that my options are:

1. Leave (GD115896HE) in the car as I wont be able to tell the difference in performance?

2. Try to secure a complete replacement FC 1147cc engine but I expect that these may be a little scarce?

3. Would I be right in saying that the Herald and Spitfire blocks are the same so I could get the engine rebuilt using a Spitfire Camshaft and Cylinder Head?

Any advice on the best course of action and that my vague assumptions are correct would be really appreciated.

On a non-engine topic, if anyone has any experience of fitting a brake servo and some uprated discs/calipers I would be interested in knowing whether this is an easy/useful modification

All the best

Chris (newbie)

I agree with Pete (yes, really!), Spitfire brakes are decent especially with Mintex 1144 pads.

As for the engine, why not simply enjoy the car with its present engine this summer? If you decide you would like more oomph, consider uprating the present engine as a winter project.

Just my thoughts....

Nigel

I agree with Nigel.  The GD engine is 48 bhp with single solex and the cast exhaust manifold.  The tubular manifold will allow it to flow better.  The twin SUs will only have much effect at higher revs and will probably not contribute much to driveability.  Enjoy the car as it comes to you - get to know it for a year (I expect there will be other things to get to grips with) and consider upgrading the engine to Mk 2 spec. in due course.

A lot depends on how you are likely to use it.  If it's a fun occasional car then I expect you could get loads of enjoyment from it as it is.  If it's to be an every day driver for long distances then upgrading might be worthwhile. 

C.

not sure Mintex 1147 available for the type 12 calliper, though you can fit type 14 callipers with mods to the hubs or later hubs .

As for the engine the herald block is not an issue, the herald cam I believe ran direct in the block whereas the later spit mk2 had bearings, so you can put the late mk2 cam in just without bearings( early mk2 also ran direct in block and had milder cam). I believe that the head casting is the same the only real difference being the spit had the valves held in with collets the herald had a figure of 8 cap, they may have had different compression ratios so may want a skim. Of course it could be that the engine you have has been built to spit spec, they just used a herald block. The GD engine may have the early scroll type rear oils seal but early mk2 spits did as well oh and the mk2 spit engine didn't have the breather in the block it had a tube from the rocker box to the air filter box (all pretty minor)

First thing to do is to drive it. That's the only way you'll see how it performs. It's entirely possible the 1147cc block has been replaced with a reconditioned unit originally from a Herald, but with the Spitfire mechanicals. You won't really know until you feel how it drives, and then you'll know if it needs more power.

Yep drive it the mk2 spit engine loves to rev, it's not fast by modern standards but feels quick as the car is small and low. Plus to be honest with an old engine a good herald 1250 engine could well be better than a worn spit

Cannot speak for Spit, Motors. But Maybe a rebuilt 13/60 would be an "upgrade" IF the existing engine was in need of refurb?. With an (apprently) shared block It could be a straight "drop in"?. Unless the object was pure "originallity". I do know that when looking for Parts. Very many are described "Fits Herald and Spitfire".

Pete

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I think I’ll wait until the car arrives, determine what I’ve actually got to play with, then use it during the summer and decide on a course of action over the winter.

I hope to see some other Triumph drivers out there over the next few Months.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1