1974 Toyota Hiace

Paula

13 hours ago, Paula said:

That’s bigger than my flat!

Believe Me, That is a baby at "only" 32ft. Some are up to 40+feet and with 4, yes 4, Slideout sections?. I sold it in Texas 2014, for just over $16.000. Around £12K at the time. I`ve had 2 "over here". But they are ongoing maintenance intensive, and need an LGV (most) to drive. And everything has to be freighted from "Uncle Sam" at great expense.

Pete

10 hours ago, Paula said:

I’ve found one I can afford!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1320628

For that price I'd expect the steering wheel to be on the 'proper' side... :)

There was a really sad story a few years back of a man who had retired and spent his retirement money on a huge campervan in order to tour about; he had it all finished to his specification including RHD. When he took delivery of it he found that it was too wide for UK Regulations and could not legally be driven on UK roads. The supplier refused to take it back and he couldn't sell it to Europe, where it may have been road-legal, as it was RHD and so would have limited the number of potential buyers.

I felt really sorry for him but always wondered what happened to it. 

34 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Further down the pages is this interesting specimen..

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1326986

Also, if you look through the pictures there is some interesting stuff in the backgrounds, like a Trotters Independent Traders Reliant. That might be a little small?

i had the same thoughts -" worth a trip down". Actually from her it is what? Point south, second on right?

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

a trotters van sits outside a excess over stock  frozen food outlet near Westoning    we frequent 

at least you only need one car ramp ?!!!!   but dont thing the image fits with Paula 

Pete

Not exactly what i'm going for.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/citroen-berlingo-pop-top-camper-campervan/1403345219

I like this style; small van so you can sneak it under barriers in car parks... :)

Citroen Berlingo based.

52504688_ScreenShot2021-04-30at14_08_56.jpg.7db6cfa147b1acfd9f6ee70686a6ef29.jpg

Do your own with a diy kit Paula. :)   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114600895035?hash=item1aaebee23b:g:4FUAAOSwtNlcqETp

Tony.

2 hours ago, Paula said:

There’s also this one. Looks very nice.

it’ll probably go for too much though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274773567781

Probably rotten underneath if the bubbles are anything to go by. Seller spends a lot of time on the interior and fittings and then adds a sneaky little composite photo of the rust, right at the end.

Hi

Definitely look into getting an Examination into the base vehicle. You can do a lot with interiors on a DIY basis. If you have the mechanical skills, Or a couple of good mates, running gear is manageable. But rectifying acres of Crusty, Rusty, underpinnings can  be costly. Be wary of Underseal too, it can cover a multitude of "sins". The T-5 was equally as prone to rot as it`s predecesor. Just in different places.

Pete

P.S. Please don`t let me put you off, But be extra wary of stuff that old. I`ve thoroughly enjoyed my "campers".

P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Probably rotten underneath if the bubbles are anything to go by. Seller spends a lot of time on the interior and fittings and then adds a sneaky little composite photo of the rust, right at the end.

Glad I was outbid now!

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hi

Definitely look into getting an Examination into the base vehicle. You can do a lot with interiors on a DIY basis. If you have the mechanical skills, Or a couple of good mates, running gear is manageable. But rectifying acres of Crusty, Rusty, underpinnings can  be costly. Be wary of Underseal too, it can cover a multitude of "sins". The T-5 was equally as prone to rot as it`s predecesor. Just in different places.

Pete

P.S. Please don`t let me put you off, But be extra wary of stuff that old. I`ve thoroughly enjoyed my "campers".

P

I've decided to avoid anything without a good MOT and i'm looking at MOT history too. It's a wonderful thing to be able to do!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Paula  , I  guess the price will escalate but its more of the camper than the toyo

I put a £4500 bid in and was outbid. The MOT history was really good. looks like a restoration in 2010 and sailed through every MOT after that.
Goes to show MOT's are probably more important than ever with the history being accessible by anyone.