Jump to content

1974 Toyota Hiace


Paula
 Share

Recommended Posts

so keep looking,         dont get carried away 

the MOT check is a good asset always worth a look 

but now many oldies are not requiring an mot  this data is going to get scarce  

I cant see whats good about that , its a good aide to selling and buying 

good luck 

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a tendency local to me, to advertise old vans as 'ideal camper conversions' and bump up the price accordingly. They're just basic end of life builders or labourers vans, but add that magical 'camper conversion' phrase and they're suddenly worth much more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There's a tendency local to me, to advertise old vans as 'ideal camper conversions' and bump up the price accordingly. They're just basic end of life builders or labourers vans, but add that magical 'camper conversion' phrase and they're suddenly worth much more.

Yeah. Exactly. I know a guy that is importing Peugeot J7/J9 vans and selling them as catering vans. ££££££££££

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I only went and did it! I think i've done ok. It was running ok, just a little underpowered. After a 150 mile trip back down south everything is running lovely! 

Italian tune up does it again!

I've bought an electronic distributer as I couldn't get hold of any caps rotors or points. It's come with a plug on though so i'm confused on how to fit it. 
The interior is coming on lovely though! Hopefully get some camping in this summer (if it ever arrives)

8B5F1E74-C893-4BD4-9F44-03318C0D5801.thumb.jpeg.566e38ad75611563b7f8a14e58996b8e.jpeg

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

so is that just two wires ??   here is just a guess !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at a guess the white black is the coil lead and the brown an ign feed 

what make model is the new dizzy ????

Pete

yes just 2 wires

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paula said:

I only went and did it! I think i've done ok. It was running ok, just a little underpowered. After a 150 mile trip back down south everything is running lovely! 

Italian tune up does it again!

I've bought an electronic distributer as I couldn't get hold of any caps rotors or points. It's come with a plug on though so i'm confused on how to fit it. 
The interior is coming on lovely though! Hopefully get some camping in this summer (if it ever arrives)

Brill! You'll have great fun with that one. Half of the enjoyment is working on it, getting it the way you want it... then the first coffee at the seaside makes it all worth while.

Re the wiring: some of those two-wire systems just connect to both coil terminals, one to -ve and one to +ve. I can't find anything on the Net specific to the Hiace (other than the dreadful Fixya site which should come with a health warning.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Brill! You'll have great fun with that one. Half of the enjoyment is working on it, getting it the way you want it... then the first coffee at the seaside makes it all worth while.

Re the wiring: some of those two-wire systems just connect to both coil terminals, one to -ve and one to +ve. I can't find anything on the Net specific to the Hiace (other than the dreadful Fixya site which should come with a health warning.)

I'm enjoying the carpentry. Missing the simplicity of the vitesse though.
There is a guy in the owners club that recommended that dizzy. He can't remember what he did though.
I'll try and get more info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

your orig with external condenser looks a bit ducillier  type 

so from your circuit plan its as i thought looks like 

the whit/black replaces your single points wire to the coil  negative

the brown is the red in the diagram  goes to the coil Positive  ignition feed 

if it goes bang   Im  Out 

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the whit/black replaces your single points wire to the coil  negative

the brown is the red in the diagram  goes to the coil Positive  ignition feed 

if it goes bang   Im  Out 

Pete

I think you're right (well a 50% chance anyway!); I've been trawling through Hiace wiring diagrams and the white / black (or B- W on the diagram) goes from the negative terminal on the coil. That just leaves the other one, be it red or brown, for the power.

Lord those manuals are complicated. Give me a Triumph any day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Steve P said:

You need to get an A frame so you can take the Vitesse to the seaside as well.

S

The van does have a tow bar. I thought that was optimistic!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...