1974 Toyota Hiace

Paula

never tow your triumph ( or any other cars )

on tow you are turning the gearbox mainshaft inside non rotating gears  there is no splash lubrication and after a good few mile you will sieze the box  this is why many tows use a spectable lift or remove the propshaft

you could fit a tap in the clutch pipe , depress the clutch lock it off and 

engage 4th gear 

then it all goes round and round when towing 

or leave it idleing when towing if its a runner 

but its essential you turn  the gears on the shaft not the shaft in stationary gear sets 

and that applies to any car especially automatics that have a front driven oil pump

a couple of miles to home is one thing a 150 mile trip is doomed 

Pete

14 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

never tow your triumph ( or any other cars )

on tow you are turning the gearbox mainshaft inside non rotating gears  there is no splash lubrication and after a good few mile you will sieze the box  this is why many tows use a spectable lift or remove the propshaft

you could fit a tap in the clutch pipe , depress the clutch lock it off and 

engage 4th gear 

then it all goes round and round when towing 

or leave it idleing when towing if its a runner 

but its essential you turn  the gears on the shaft not the shaft in stationary gear sets 

and that applies to any car especially automatics that have a front driven oil pump

a couple of miles to home is one thing a 150 mile trip is doomed 

Pete

I had no idea. That's good to know!

On 25/05/2021 at 14:05, Colin Lindsay said:

I think you're right (well a 50% chance anyway!); I've been trawling through Hiace wiring diagrams and the white / black (or B- W on the diagram) goes from the negative terminal on the coil. That just leaves the other one, be it red or brown, for the power.

Lord those manuals are complicated. Give me a Triumph any day.

Looks like we have a winner!

1B0E8804-5C04-497B-8D24-0D9089297A53.png

• 3 weeks later...

The fixing up is going very well! (not fitted the distributor yet...

MX5 leather seats and all sorts of poshness though!

But I have a blown manifold gasket. I've found a replacement on ebay.  Would you put any sealant on it or just fit it dry? I'm a little concerned that the last one doesn't look very old and it might blow its end off again (see pictures).

26782C5E-0958-45BC-9AF6-D34C6C9DDD8A.jpeg

IMG_1763.jpeg

IMG_1766.jpeg

IMG_1883 2.jpeg

Paula - That looks really great. A real home from home. I see a fleet out for rental for all the so called staycationists. You can make a fortune here and sell off the pot plants at the end of the season.

As for the head gasket....not a clue. Wait for the engine experts to come on board.

3 hours ago, Paula said:

Actually on closer inspection the replacement part looks like its metal sandwich and the old one is just some cardboard type material.

Also the magnifier on iphone is really good!

IMG_1885.jpeg

IMG_1886.jpeg

I would put a straight edge along the manifold and head Paula, either that or were the nut's/bolts not tight? The new gasket looks good quality though. I would put on dry around exhaust parts, small amount of blue hylomar around the inlets. Love the front seats.

Tony.

It ain't a Triumph so there's no wood dash, but by gee it makes up for it with the timber overlay floor covering in the drivers cab area.

Where's the sleeping accommodation I assume the table drops down to give a flat area, but it look a little short!

Only experience I've had with camper HiAce was the wife's Canadian girlfriends son who fronted on our doorstep in the early 00's brought one which needed serious welding around the rear tailgate by my mate who restores classics, and at 3 monthly intervals over 18 months this Canadian lad returned from all over Aus for ongoing major vehicle surgery including an engine transplant, he sold it for twice what he paid for it to an English couple doing the round Aus tour! I gather HiAces never die! 

Back in Canada he still has a campervan some big classic Chevy thing that our son has used a couple of times to tour Canada with his family, and Yeh it's broken down a couple of times, and we get the trans Pacific call, Help "International Rescue".

8 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

It ain't a Triumph so there's no wood dash, but by gee it makes up for it with the timber overlay floor covering in the drivers cab area.

Where's the sleeping accommodation I assume the table drops down to give a flat area, but it look a little short!

Only experience I've had with camper HiAce was the wife's Canadian girlfriends son who fronted on our doorstep in the early 00's brought one which needed serious welding around the rear tailgate by my mate who restores classics, and at 3 monthly intervals over 18 months this Canadian lad returned from all over Aus for ongoing major vehicle surgery including an engine transplant, he sold it for twice what he paid for it to an English couple doing the round Aus tour! I gather HiAces never die! 

Back in Canada he still has a campervan some big classic Chevy thing that our son has used a couple of times to tour Canada with his family, and Yeh it's broken down a couple of times, and we get the trans Pacific call, Help "International Rescue".

I had some flooring left over, rather fetching I think. The bed is me size! 
The engine seems good. Starts well on the choke.

luckily these engines were used in a ‘Ute’ popular in Australia. So parts are available.

17 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i would fit dry  there is  a lot of panting goes on with  manifolds as the heat etc makes them shuffle about 

sealer can let go and then its worse so unless theres some problem 

keep it dry and tight 

yes to check the faces are flat 

Pete

I like the panting description! 🐶 

• 1 month later...

I was all ready for holidays but I’ve developed a new fun problem.

I started losing power over about 40 miles until I had to get recovered off the M25 because 20mph really wasn’t fast enough!
I decided that it was the ignition and went through all that, setting timing and it ran very nicely until it stopped at a set of lights and refused to start.

One more trip on an RAC van and I’m back home.

My thoughts are now fuel as it’s occurred to me that both these problems started soon after filling up. Possibly stirring up crap from the tank??  So today I’m replacing fuel filters and upgrading hose.

I’m not very confident about cleaning the carb though. I’m assuming that I remove the 2 plugs (arrowed in yellow) and the jets are under there? Wish they were Strombergs!

She’s looking nice though!

B60D1C4C-2231-466A-ADDD-190CFFA3CDD0.jpeg

F7C4672C-5B1E-43E8-B098-939977D9218A.jpeg

D4C41381-9E32-44B0-9FE5-6646E1AC5992.jpeg

C4A81ECA-B9BF-48F5-A2B8-075D2CFD67A7.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

looks a plan there is also the solenoid shut off slow running jet 

these things on other cars of the era were problematic doesnt affect full power but will cause non  starting and slow run stalls  if its not opening 

Pete

I thought about this. It looks like it’s been replaced. I can hear it click. But when it was running badly unplugging made no difference 

Sounds as if you are on the right track with fuel filters Paula. One thing to do after is take it for another run to try to get it to stop and if it does squirt some brake cleaner direct into the carb. If it starts its fuel, the air filter looks easy to get off with the wing nut.

Tony.

• Like 1

if unpluging didnt stall the idle then i guees the jet had a blockage and the idle screw has been wound in 

to get some idle as the slow run circuit stops as soon as you open the throttle is the idle when its running a bit fast 

if the  idle mixture screw has little effect thats whats going on 

how to clean solenoid slow run jet 

needs a battery and fat lips to blow through it  Ha    

Pete

I've had the carb off now. The jets were anoyingly clear, well the 2 in the bowl were. I can't see anything odd but i'm scared to take it apart any more. It's all back togther now and still no go. I still suspect the carb though as i'm not getting that flooded smell. I need to get some brake cleaner.

It almost starts with your foot right down, but it never does.

Blooming frustating!