1974 Toyota Hiace

Paula

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

if unpluging didnt stall the idle then i guees the jet had a blockage and the idle screw has been wound in 

to get some idle as the slow run circuit stops as soon as you open the throttle is the idle when its running a bit fast 

if the  idle mixture screw has little effect thats whats going on 

how to clean solenoid slow run jet 

needs a battery and fat lips to blow through it  Ha    

Pete

I've gone mad and ordered a new carb. Just out of despiration really! And the fact it was £50. Always nice to have spares if i don't need it. (trying to convince myself here)

I just checked buy my shorting out the rotor inside that there’s no continuity.

The electronic one I bought has a cap with sprung contact. It seems to work as long as the 4 contacts line up ok. 
blimey 

with that flat fixed contact rotor the spark would have to jump the extra gap between the two 

not good and it would soon errode the fixed carbon  brush away 

works fine with a sprung centre brush but not with a fixed one 

take care with swapping caps as it may need a different rotor sweep diameter if its a very differing unit 

take car with muddles 

Pete

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Paula said:

I’ve got a eBay distributor that I might try.

the cap doesn’t have a sprung contact. Is that normal?

C4888348-1573-4D8E-8C12-E3C5D4643EC2.jpeg

The centre brush isn't simply stuck in the up position Paula? It wouldn't be the first time.

Tony.

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

some one has to ask   who found it ???    

Some random bloke down my road tried to offer advice. He then called his mate from a local garage. He told me to take the rocker cover off and he'll come and have a look on his way home. 
He told me that "something's not right with the timing" and that i needed to take the front timing cover off. He'd be back tomorrow to look again.
He was pretty stumped when all the marks lined up and he told me to get the timing gear off as it must have lost the woodruff key. 
The timing gear came apart taking it off and i could tell it had moved.
New gear ordered from Australia!
The new gear was fatter than the old one and i needed to grind out the timing cover!
It's been a hell of a mission!

57C9CD8F-FEC9-46F1-91AE-A5B26E6E236C.heic 3D6E23FE-AC3A-40CA-BEFD-43EF40DFED19.heic 97762D3C-A9A8-4872-9360-119C899CEBC7.heic 51E77135-DB37-4865-9B73-0A42592A8811.heic E739D2C0-2825-4269-ACBD-9E9F4FF69610.heic 9C5D6529-D141-4889-955E-4F2343D87EAC.heic

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

hope all that debris didnt end up in the sump

where on earth diid that name come from ???? but then i only read thomas the tank engine stories  

Pete

I stuffed a lot of rag in there before getting the angle grinder out.
The P/O called her Betsy and the number plate is TNG so tingle!