1974 Toyota Hiace

Paula

We've been on a few runs up to Hertfordshire and she's been fine, but recently she's decided ahe doesn't want to go over 60mph. She starts to stutter and lose power.
Then she's fine again at about 40mph. 
I've cleaned up the leads (i thought it might have got damp from an overflowing radiator) but still the same.
I'm now thinking fuel pump.
One day i might actually go bloody camping!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2022 at 19:24, Paula said:

We've been on a few runs up to Hertfordshire and she's been fine, but recently she's decided ahe doesn't want to go over 60mph. She starts to stutter and lose power.
Then she's fine again at about 40mph. 
I've cleaned up the leads (i thought it might have got damp from an overflowing radiator) but still the same.
I'm now thinking fuel pump.
One day i might actually go bloody camping!

Sounds very much like fuel starvation to me. Does it have a fuel filter, and if so is it clogged? 

Another thing to check would be the fuel lines. If they are old erhonal petrol will degrade them, making them collapse internally. 

1970`s?, Original Tank?, has it ever been cleaned?, Intermittant issues with fuel are sometimes down to debris moving about and preventing/reducing fuel being sucked into the pickup pipe?. More so if the vehicle had been laid up for some time, campervans/motorhomes are particularly prone to it. Fuel hose, needs to be ethanol suitable nowadays, E5/E10 degrades when stored and adds to starting issues.

Recently during the "fuel crisis", the only fuel available was unleaded E10 locally. My little P-107, (2006) which we "A" frame behind our motorhome, was behaving like "grumpy". Topping off with unleaded "super", improved the performance, and the next full fill (super) has improved on that. Not all "newer" cars are E10 ready. Never mind 70`s Engines.

Pete

7 hours ago, Peaks said:

Sounds very much like fuel starvation to me. Does it have a fuel filter, and if so is it clogged? 

Another thing to check would be the fuel lines. If they are old erhonal petrol will degrade them, making them collapse internally. 

You are correct! It was the steel fuel line from the pump to the tank. I blew back down it and that seemed to clear it out. I’m thinking of adding an extra inline filter near the tank, but I’m a little worried that’ll make 3 and it might be too much for the pump. 

Yeh, does look in reasonable nick, Looked at it twice, but couldnt see the pickup point?. That would be where any Debris might be?. (kids have been known to put crap in tanks too before today!) obviously if not a locking cap.

A lot of modern cars have heavy duty "plastic" fuel lines, any "rubber" Now must be ethanol suitable (R9?). But so long as the steel ones are proved clear and show no actual leaks they should not be the issue?. MOT examiners, can and do ocasionally condemn really grotty ones as well as brake lines. The fuel and brake lines now fitted to my 13/60 are copper/kunifer with no "rubber" conectors except the tank and the Fuel pump.

What type of Carburator is fitted?. I ask, because back in the 80`s, Ford had a lot of issues with a type of carburator fitted (mostly) to Mk3 Escourts, long while back now, but I think it had to do with what they termed as "emssions" reducing features?. My then, Company car, was back and forth to the dealership, it would be ok for a while and then lose power or stop, if you waited a while you could restart. In the end they fitted a "modified" carburator, (or so the young fitter told me).

Pete

Investigate all other aspects first, the simple one`s should be eliminated, but be aware that the condition of the box is an indication of the storage conditions, (age/heat/cold/humidity etc;) and may have had some effect on internal (especially "rubber" components).

As an example of how they can deteriorate, We had very large "O" ring seals on water jackets in Marine practice. Bitter experience made the realisation that leaving them stored in thier plastic packaging accelerated their dertioration. We resorted to storing them in an old oil drum filled with talcum powder and kept in the shaft tunnel (coolest place in the machinery spaces).

Pete

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Investigate all other aspects first, the simple one`s should be eliminated, but be aware that the condition of the box is an indication of the storage conditions, (age/heat/cold/humidity etc;) and may have had some effect on internal (especially "rubber" components).

As an example of how they can deteriorate, We had very large "O" ring seals on water jackets in Marine practice. Bitter experience made the realisation that leaving them stored in thier plastic packaging accelerated their dertioration. We resorted to storing them in an old oil drum filled with talcum powder and kept in the shaft tunnel (coolest place in the machinery spaces).

Pete

It looks in great nick. The rubber seal on the accelerator pump bit looks perfect. Better than the cheap copy that came off.
I'll keep the other as a spare.
At least i know if it happens again i can probably clear it again.
Would another filter at the tank end be a bad idea? That would make 3 filters in total.
It would also give me a break in the line to clear it easier next time?

you really dont need 3 fuel filters 

reliability comes from less joins (was going to say Joints )  but i know that would get picked on  |Ha 

one main filter is all it really needs .....did it have anything as original ???

nasty ebay rubber hose is the main problem it breaks up inside  and you breed rubber slivers 

every time yo refit it 

3 filters is obstructive    to full power , like riding a bike with 3 face masks on     huf and puff

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

you really dont need 3 fuel filters 

reliability comes from less joins (was going to say Joints )  but i know that would get picked on  |Ha 

one main filter is all it really needs .....did it have anything as original ???

nasty ebay rubber hose is the main problem it breaks up inside  and you breed rubber slivers 

every time yo refit it 

3 filters is obstructive    to full power , like riding a bike with 3 face masks on     huf and puff

Pete

it just had one. I've got rid of that it was very very old. I'll stick with the 2.

Cheers!

EDC1378A-1AD7-464F-A1EC-4BD283271281_1_105_c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Paula - I used 8mm copper microbore heating tube for my main fuel pipe. It's lasted for 30years. You just need the bendy spring thing to bend the tube without collapsing it, but an easy job.

Pretty cheap too. What about the thread sizes. No idea what the Japanese were using

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Smirnoff is triple-filtered and it flows quite easily.... :)

I assume you mean 'flows quite easily down the drain' as you poured it away in protest . .However knowing you before it got flushed down the loo it passed through your own body filtering system 🤪

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I assume you mean 'flows quite easily down the drain' as you poured it away in protest . .However knowing you before it got flushed down the loo it passed through your own body filtering system 🤪

There's been a lot of talk currently about disposing of Russian assets... so I'm helping. However the Smirnoffs were kicked out back in the day and ended up in Paris, so they're more French than Russian.

It's a sign of the times that during WW2 Russian forces had mobile stills with them, now in Ukraine they've got mobile crematoriums. Doesn't exactly instill confidence, does it?