Holes

cliff.b

I'm just fitting a variety of open & closed grommets to holes that either have something going through the bare metal or are just unused.

Just wanted to check if the 3 holes in each outer sill are supposed to be left open for drainage or not?

2 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Leave open, but spray wax oil or similar in

That's what I was thinking 👍

Around each hole there is a very thin layer of something black & a bit greasy. Could this mean they have already been treated? 

On 30/04/2021 at 15:09, Badwolf said:

Great believer in painting edges and then going over with a wax product of some sort, Dinitrol these days.

I had not heard of Dinitrol so checked it out and see there are various products offered for different purposes.

Any thoughts on what is best to use as a preventative measure inside sills, doors, rear wings, chassis members etc when there is currently no obvious rust present?

Dinitrol do a range of products. All that I have seen are highly recommended. Underbody hard wax, cavity wax along with others. Here is a start..

https://www.dinitroldirect.com/vehicle-rustproofing-kits/

I will track down the most popular as there are several product codes for what appear to be the same product. Other members will be along with their favourite brands and product. Wayoyl has fallen out of favour with many. An excellent product years ago but now regarded by many to have gone off and is selling on a past reputation, superceded by modern products.

Edit Also look here..

https://rejel.com/blog/the-difference-between-dinitrol-cavity-waxes-explained/

Several dinitrol products require a compressor to spray. This is Dinitrol 1000 as a 500ml aerosol

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233382911547

and is what I will be getting shortly for my bonnet, doors etc. Dinitrol ML is similar but oil based so not as useful near fabrics (roof headlining etc) or where physical contact might be made.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2021 at 15:09, Badwolf said:

Great believer in painting edges and then going over with a wax product of some sort, Dinitrol these days.

Never used Dinitrol BW, i have always used  https://www.bilthamber.com. Same sort of stuff, i was swayed by the cavity wand for box sections etc. I'm with you on painting edges and using wax. I use remnants of old wax's that have be lying about for ages. :) 

Tony. 

Tony - Totally agree about Bilthamber products they are excellent. Just a question of using what you like and also trust. I use Bilthamber for rust treatment, Karl (Bordfunker) uses Rustbuster products to good effect. Everyone has their favourites. You can get a cavity wand for Dinitrol as well.

I`ll vote for Bilthammer too, the "test" results are impressive!!. But the old Waxoyle still has a place. Besides I have best part of a gallon on the shelf. Works best (IMV) in the old airline "oil spayer" diluted with White Spirit/Turps subs.

Turn back the clock, 1950`s, and Dad would spray his old engine oil on everything under the car!!. It was parked outside on the road too, the road suface outside our house must have been lethal!

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

I`ll vote for Bilthammer too, the "test" results are impressive!!. But the old Waxoyle still has a place. Besides I have best part of a gallon on the shelf. Works best (IMV) in the old airline "oil spayer" diluted with White Spirit/Turps subs.

Turn back the clock, 1950`s, and Dad would spray his old engine oil on everything under the car!!. It was parked outside on the road too, the road suface outside our house must have been lethal!

Pete

I seem to remember my Dad mixed it with creosote to paint the garden fence. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cliff.b said:

I seem to remember my Dad mixed it with creosote to paint the garden fence. 

Yup, That too. See, us "Old Timers" WHERE the original recyclers after all?. Paper bags, The torn up Newspaper hung on the nail in the privy?. Fruit and veg, loose not shrink wrapped?. List is endless.

Pete

Err? Climbing over the wall at the "offy", passing 2 or 3 empty bottles back to your mate, who went in the front door and got the 3d a bottle back?. Which was then spent on "sweeties" (post rationing) or in some cases 2 woodbine.

Pete

Washing your car in your drive is illegal in most places in Germany. (it always amazes me how the average German seems to know what is and isn't legal)....

When I asked why they said because it would hurt the water table.

In the US my Dad used the old oil on a lot of things like treating fence posts, borders around the garden and as lubricant for things like the lawn mower etc. We almost never dumped the oil directly into the ground (though accidents do happen).

We also had our own water well (i.e. we were not hooked up to any city water works) and our own sump out back.

So anything we dumped in the ground went straight to our drinking water (we did have a water softener and the salt did absorb some bad stuff...).

I asked my geology teacher about the risks and he had a nice scale model of how the earth filters things. He could modify it to represent different types of ground, rock etc. 

He put 100 ml of oil (which on a scale must have been something like 100 liters) in the top and added water and we waited and tested the water that came out the bottom.

The impurities were barely measurable.

So in a country where the cars get checked regularly and leaky oil less than pubescent teenager I highly doubt it is an environmental catastrophe if you wash your car.

IN fact, the water likely flows into the sewer, which is sent to the water purification plant and then dumped back into nature...

Needless to say before I started tearing my Spitfire apart I did wash it in the driveway because there was no way to move it (no motor or gearbox) and I did not get a citation.

I had a bottle of dishwashing detergent in the open but used car wash soap so if something said something about the soap I could say it was the same stuff you do your dishes with. 🙂

I consider myself very green. I use solar heating for water even though it will never amortize in my lifetime. I ride my bike everywhere. I am draconian about turning lights off and try to stay abreast of new technology advancements but I realize things have to remain practical and realistic hence whey I highly doubt a few people washing their cars is going to kill us all...

4 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

I consider myself very green.

I don't consider myself green but I'm tighter than a duck's whatever. I believe in looking after things, taking care of them as they cost money to buy and will cost money to replace... so my clothes go through stages of being wearable in polite company, then reaching a point where they become 'garage clothes' and then when they're too holey even for that they become rags for cleaning. Like you, I'm always closing doors and windows and turning lights off, to the annoyance of the two females I live with who will open the fridge, leave it lying open, and when I close it will shout from another room "I'm putting stuff in there!" despite clearly and obviously lying on the settee.

• Like 1

Like Colin, I hate to spend money unnecessarily. To that extent when I got a message from Top Cashback on Monday, saying that they had a 24 hour Bank Holiday special of £2 extra cashback on a £5 or more spend, the eyes lit up. We have three accounts in the household so 1 x glass petrol filter, 1 x set of 6 scotchbrite pads and 1 X set of 10 stainless jubilee type petrol hose clips. All for £13.45. Isn't fleabay wonderful!!

My favorite is leaving the light on in the kitchen because "I'll be back there in a minute"... Mythbusters showed you are wasting electricity but letting it burn.. granted, LED ligths are a lot better but its the principle...

I have given up!. I can switch off as many lights as I like, It will never compensate for the fact that the Washing Machine goes on (almost) every day! and sometimes more than once. What is found to wash daily (2 persons) remains a mystery. When SWMBO was "laid up" after her accident I manged to get it down to twice a week. Because "we never wash coloured with whites". As soon as mobility, albeit limited, returned we went back to "daily".

Pete

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I don't consider myself green but I'm tighter than a duck's whatever. I believe in looking after things, taking care of them as they cost money to buy and will cost money to replace... so my clothes go through stages of being wearable in polite company, then reaching a point where they become 'garage clothes' and then when they're too holey even for that they become rags for cleaning. Like you, I'm always closing doors and windows and turning lights off, to the annoyance of the two females I live with who will open the fridge, leave it lying open, and when I close it will shout from another room "I'm putting stuff in there!" despite clearly and obviously lying on the settee.

We could be related Colin..... on the clothes side anyway :) My excuse is i hate shopping for clothes. Swmbo is still tutting away like "skippy" that there could be someone as scruffy as me......I also hate buying new if something can be repaired.

Tony.

14 hours ago, poppyman said:

We could be related Colin..... on the clothes side anyway :) My excuse is i hate shopping for clothes. Swmbo is still tutting away like "skippy" that there could be someone as scruffy as me......I also hate buying new if something can be repaired.

Tony.

My problem is my height; clothes that are the right length rarely survive two or three washes before 'Er Indoors shrinks them. She swears she doesn't but they always end up too short. Once I feel they no longer sit right then they're used in the garden or garage and very quickly become beyond public display. It gets awkward sometimes when someone calls in unexpectedly... not only the scruffiness and the oil-stains, but when one of her Board of Governors called here one night (a Church minister, too!) I answered the door wearing a very tatty, paint-splattered t-shirt with the logo: "Cool as F**K"... :)

On 05/05/2021 at 14:15, Colin Lindsay said:

. so my clothes go through stages of being wearable in polite company, then reaching a point where they become 'garage clothes' and then when they're too holey even for that they become rags for cleaning.

Just like the 7 ages of man, my clothes go through 7 stages of their life.

Smart

Day to day going out

Around the house

Gardening /DIY

Dirty work, painting etc

Rags

I think the rag box has more in it than my drawers/wardrobe 

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Nothing else???...cool!!!

Give me a few minutes and I'll check the rag box in the garage; most of the other stuff I was wearing is in there by now.

Socks are great for putting over your hands and degreasing oily or dusty bits, by the way.

• Like 1