What's the best Carb to get the most out of a 1200 engine?

jagnut66

Colin / Mike 

heck knows how that angled float chamber would ever work   on your pictured unit  a definite must have ...not 

whilst you can re angle some SU float chambers the Strombergs must be horizontal  maybe two adaptors together  Ha 

at that angle you have no control of the fueling levels .    i would be very surprised,  you could   expect some headaches

Pete 

Well,  it ran for all of about four months like that until the car was taken apart for restoration. Very rich, too, lots of carbon buildup on the pistons but I couldn't say how much the Stromberg contributed to it.

The float chamber was the reason I was intending to experiment with the single SU from a Morris Minor, although I did dally briefly with a Reece-Fish carb that has a rotating float chamber so it can be fitted at any angle and adjusted whilst on the car.

Once it arrives I'll be looking for a suitable SU, ex-classic Mini perhaps, I beleive they are the right way round for the Herald set up (after linkage adaption).

I bought it for the adapter anyway, never been a fan of Strombergs any more than Solex.

If it works I'll sell the Stromberg on as a seperate item.

Best wishes,

Mike.

14 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You'l have to adapt the studs for the SU, aren't they different to those for the Stromberg?

That's why I'll wait until it arrives, I have an idea in my head, seeing the adapter in the flesh (so to speak) will help to clarify things.

I have an SU already, which will help me visualise the idea and clarify certain details but this is off a Marina, so orientated the other way round and destined for my Traveller anyway.

Best wishes,

Mike.

19 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

typical Redbourne lad   Ha !!!

Pete, Ducking the clear superiority of SUs, I note...😉

tbf, the SUs (HD type) on that Daimler are rather better made, and more expensive, than the HS models we have on our Triumphs - you might even approve....they are quite Strombergy....

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Well I've now adapted the SU to fit the carb adapter. I simply 'elongated' the holes in the SU (ex-Mini) with a round file, so that it mates comfortably with the Adapter.

I adapted the carb as there are plenty of these Mini carbs around (at present), so that I could keep the Adapeter unaltered, as these are like 'hens teeth'.

I then sourced a couple of (ex-Morris Minor) studs to screw into the adapter, put the two together with a sandwich of gaskets and a spacer, tightened up the nuts, checked that the 'flow' hole lined up and Bob's your Uncle! 🙂

Best wishes, 

Mike.

Stromberg Carb Adapter with 'adapted' SU    1.JPG

Stromberg Carb Adapter with 'adapted' SU    2.JPG

There I am open to suggestions Pete.

I have run these successfully on a Morris Minor fitted with a 1275 engine in the past, using the needle it comes with. I will try it 'as is' on the Herald and see if I can get it running happily.

However, (as above) if someone thinks it will run better on a specific replacement needle I will get hold of one and keep it in readyness.

Best wishes,

Mike.

The ones I have were all custom-made by Speedograph for Solex to Stromberg carb conversion, Pete. I can't find any details on them, period advertising or the like, but I have an SU carb from a Ford Anglia with an angled float chamber but don't have the associated manifold parts to confirm how it was fitted.

21 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The ones I have were all custom-made by Speedograph for Solex to Stromberg carb conversion, Pete. I can't find any details on them, period advertising or the like, but I have an SU carb from a Ford Anglia with an angled float chamber but don't have the associated manifold parts to confirm how it was fitted.

Hmm?. Could be I had 2 or 3 Anglia`s pass through my hands, most being gutted out to go stage rallying. Before we moved onto Mk1 Escourt`s.

Pete