DVLA

PeterH

Anybody had any experience of the DVLA recently? 

I taxed my Mini at the Post Office on 1st April and applied to change the Tax group to historic. The Post Office sent the logbook away. A month later and I've not had it back. I wondered when I should start to worry.

Probably delayed due to Covid; there's no-one in the office at present and while on-line enquiries are being fielded out to workers at home the actual physical postal end of things may be different.

Can you check the car details online and see if anything has been changed?

I changed mine to Historic when we moved house.  My wife's modern registration document came back within a few days.  After a couple of weeks, they returned the build certificate which I had sent to prove date of manufacture.  Nothing happened for another couple of weeks so I made enquiries.  They claimed that they had no records of my application even though they had returned the certificate.  Time to start worrying. After another few days the completed amended registration document  arrived.  From this I concluded that DVLA seem to be efficient at everyday requests but anything out of the ordinary such as changing to Historic seems to cause them problems.

I am sure I read that some of the DVLA staff WFH are doing a very good job, gettting through their boxes of work very quickly and efficiently, and others are lazy and slow and doing a poor job.

Both are paid the same, so you can see the issue, there is no incentive to be the former.

Slightly O/T. New MOT on the Camper last week, went online to tax it (was on sorn). You cannot tax before the first of the Month. (which you could at one time and did often via the post office in the "old days"). If you do it`s backdated to 1st of the previous month. Who writes the "progamming" for these Govt; departments?. They get millions and most, Like the NHS one too, don`t work properly. I really feel sorry for the Millions of (Mostly Older) people who are not computer litterate. 

Pete

18 hours ago, PeterH said:

Anybody had any experience of the DVLA recently? 

I taxed my Mini at the Post Office on 1st April and applied to change the Tax group to historic. The Post Office sent the logbook away. A month later and I've not had it back. I wondered when I should start to worry.

I also had my Spit taxed as historic on 1st April. Still not had the log book back. Online it still showed as sorn a week later. I contacted dvla online chat and they confirmed it was taxed and OK to drive. It can take 8 weeks to get the log book back. 

Danny

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterH said:

I've checked the Mini. It's shown as taxed. But not MOT'd. I'd declared it MOT exempt. It was convenient to do this just to get it taxed as it had been SORN'd. But I will get it MOT'd.

I haven't checked that angle yet, mine are exempt but MOTd; however there doesn't seem to be a category for exemption - they're either MOTd on record, or not. I'd like to think any potential interested party would have the sense to realise they're historic and therefore exempt rather than unloved and untested.

People need to remember MOT exempt doesn't mean road worthy exempt.

I've been looking for a daily driver and there are a lot of classics for sale, even from dealers with no MOT as they are exempt!

I have passed on those.

I would always put a classic through an MOT, the advantage to me is I can be late getting it, but not too late.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Had the letter last week to renew my driving licence for another three years, applied on line last Sunday new license through my letterbox just after eight this morning.

Which even in more normal times I would say is very good service.

Regards

Paul.

20 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Had the letter last week to renew my driving licence for another three years, applied on line last Sunday new license through my letterbox just after eight this morning.

Which even in more normal times I would say is very good service.

I'm going to have to work out how to do this this year. I'm still on a paper licence so I've got to get a photo and get it approved - fortunately a neighbour is a retired copper. I've been told to make sure all my permitted groups are included, otherwise you only get the basic car.

6 minutes ago, PeterH said:

I'm going to have to work out how to do this this year. I'm still on a paper licence so I've got to get a photo and get it approved - fortunately a neighbour is a retired copper. I've been told to make sure all my permitted groups are included, otherwise you only get the basic car.

When I went to credit card licence entered my passport number and they used that photograph, as to the extra groups could not remember the last time I drove anything that big and I seem to remember that a Doctor needs to sign you off as fit enough.

Regards

Paul.

15 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

as to the extra groups could not remember the last time I drove anything that big

Ah but I do have motorbike licence and you never know........ Also I think there is something - not sure now - about towing.   My Passport expired when I stopped travelling for work - not been abroad since.

Hello All

I had 2 letters from DVLA!

One is a tax reminder for a Triumph Vitesse

The other one is to say their records have been up dated and I am no longer the keeper of this vehicle Triumph Vitesse as in letter one!!!

Both in the same post!

Roger