ULEZ Historic vehicles

Mark B

18 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Even though things are changing rapidly i think we have 10 to 15 years before worrying about petrol supply for our cars . Once solid state batteries are cheap and available on the market the 2500s may get converted.

I think things will happen over time, and maybe not as we see it at present - there's always something new round the corner be it hydrogen or a better form of battery.

I don't believe petrol will disappear completely for many years yet, but the availability will. As with leaded and LRP, we'll find fewer and fewer places willing to stock it, with the inherent costs and risks. I think it was BP on the radio a few days ago unveiling their first electric-only fuelling station in London with the promise of many more to come. Many places won't stock both, so we may have to travel further and further to find petrol. I would agree that fifteen years from now the scenario is going to be very different.

15 years from now i will be 67! Unfortunately most of the males in my family die at 67! So won't be worried too much about petrol. Except my dad whos going to be 81 this year. 

4 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Could be a bit of a downer the next morning when you battery is still flat. I guess you have to go and find a charger else where and be a few hours late

If the battery is flat how do you get it too a charger? Push the car? Have it towed? Remove the battery? Carry a petrol powered generator in the boot perhaps? 😁

It'll all get sorted, eventually

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

15 years from now i will be 67! Unfortunately most of the males in my family die at 67! So won't be worried too much about petrol. Except my dad whos going to be 81 this year. 

You're either not going to be cremated or else have access to an electric hearse, then....

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned about selling the lecky from the car back to the national grid. Interesting idea but if you need to go out in the middle of the night that could cause problems especially if you get a software update overnight which shuts everything down (just like they do these days). Just too much mucking about.

Mathew - Don't worry about turning 60, I've seen it, it's rubbish?

ChrisA - Flat battery covered earlier, you just call out the rescue services

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Mathew - Don't worry about turning 60, I've seen it, it's rubbish?

Can't remember what 60 was like too long ago. Mind you can't remember this morning either.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You're either not going to be cremated or else have access to an electric hearse, then....

Surely cremation must add to the dreaded rise in CO2 greenhouse gas ?   

Perhaps the Red Kite population explosion has been encouraged to provide enough carrion eaters to scoff our bodies from future "Towers of Silence". 

💀

Pretty well covered here:

Regarding the selling back to the grid at night: They ask you up front. They don't do it automatically (unless you allow it) so if you think there is a chance that you will have to go for a midnight run deactivate it...

I'm not sure medical or emergencies of any type ("Dad there's water pouring through my ceiling") work like that. I'll keep petrol in my tank or my car fully charged (if the enevitable happens). I'm afraid that the national grid will have to look after itself in the future.

Unless you live within 20 minutes of emergency services it is usually better they come to you.

You can set the car to not go below a certain amount so figure out what that range is and make sure it never goes below that.

If you let your fuel tank go dry you would have the same problem.

If there were water coming in from the ceiling I can't think of stores open in the middle of the night that could help... again I would call in for services...

People really need to write done how, when and why they use cars and instead of saying things like "but when I want to drive to Scotland" or "What about when I absolutely must buy a kebap at 3 AM" . If you only had 1 car in the family and someone happened to have it you would be in a similar situation...

I cried when we sold our second car (which was the first "new" car I had ever bought with my own money) and we have had exactly 3 situations where I had to borrow a car off someone because my wife had the car and I was home alone and that was more than 12 years ago.

Still miss the green monster though!

7 hours ago, Mathew said:

Many old systems are still being used in industry and the panic slowly goes out as they breakdown and no spares exist! Suddenly new entire systems have to be bought.

Whilst true in many circumstances. There are an awful lot of Point of Sale (tills) still running Microsoft XP underneath the POS software!. And some doing stock control too.

Pete

6 hours ago, Mathew said:

67??? That won't even be state retirement age by then I reckon.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

67??? That won't even be state retirement age by then I reckon.

Retire, there's a bloke working at 70 here and he has no plans to retire any time soon.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Whilst true in many circumstances. There are an awful lot of Point of Sale (tills) still running Microsoft XP underneath the POS software!. And some doing stock control too.

Pete

Windows xp is modern compared to most of the systems! At nestle we were running a kister machine that was 60 years old! With glass valves! Even the kister engineer when he came had never seen a machine of there's that old. 8088 processors on some. Then state of the art kuka robots a stones throw away!

3 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Unless you live within 20 minutes of emergency services it is usually better they come to you.

If there were water coming in from the ceiling I can't think of stores open in the middle of the night that could help... again I would call in for services...

Sorry I must disagree with these two points. As for late night travelling, when you gotta go you gotta go. Can't sit around waiting for emergency services that may or not turn up (a friend of mine waited 90 minutes for an ambulance last month - not the fault of the service, just pure pressure of work). No good calling out someone to fix a problem when the relations are screaming for help (sorry can't come, flat battery, call a plumber, electrician, ambulance etc would go down like the proverbial), and I can't call a taxi out and go with a bunch of spares, tools, pipes, kitchen sink and god knows what else and then maybe have to come back home for something else. No all this stuff is ok in theory but in the real world, I prefer my pie on a plate, not in the sky, sorry. A EV with a flat battery is nothing more than scrap and they will have to change dramatically before I consider them, but I think that you may just have guessed that by now. I am far from impressed, Grotty Thunderburg can keep them!

Belt, Braces,AND the string. At most times I have 3 vehicles available, to order. We once had a 3way conversation going with the 999 control, Me and the paramedics. We met half way. Mrs Pete is still on this earth not under it as result.

Pete

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Windows xp is modern compared to most of the systems! At nestle we were running a kister machine that was 60 years old! With glass valves! Even the kister engineer when he came had never seen a machine of there's that old. 8088 processors on some. Then state of the art kuka robots a stones throw away!

Kuka robots state of the art, more like over complicated, get ABB or even better Kawasaki.

The only people I know who like Kuka are the ones that that was there first robot, horrible things

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

Retire, there's a bloke working at 70 here and he has no plans to retire any time soon.

Lots of the "lifers" at work are on the gold-plated final salary scheme and could retire comfortably at 55, but loads hang on until 70, or even 75. Why??????

Absolutely crazy.

3 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Lots of the "lifers" at work are on the gold-plated final salary scheme and could retire comfortably at 55, but loads hang on until 70, or even 75. Why??????

Absolutely crazy.

There are a number of reasons. But in my case, I went 2 years early** rather than re-locate. Built a house. And went part time agency driving. Spent 6 years wintering in Spain. and 5 years (on and off) Traveling the USA in a R-V, 23years "retired" now!, Still having trouble finding time to work on the Herald!. (** best day`s work ever).

Pete

1 hour ago, andybeau said:

Kuka robots state of the art, more like over complicated, get ABB or even better Kawasaki.

The only people I know who like Kuka are the ones that that was there first robot, horrible things

You should see them fight! Not ment to go in controled zones but they do. Forever welding them back together after they clashed with each other. 8 years since i was at nestle best move away ever. Every machine i work on now is stand alone with only monitoring on some. Prior was full plc control from start to end.

8 hours ago, Mathew said:

You should see them fight! Not ment to go in controled zones but they do. Forever welding them back together after they clashed with each other. 8 years since i was at nestle best move away ever. Every machine i work on now is stand alone with only monitoring on some. Prior was full plc control from start to end.

That really is bad. I've been programming robots for over 20 years and you usually only see knocks while commissioning. The odd forgotten collision zone.

Small stand alone cells are nice, I just wish some big OEMs would go with that instead of insisting on plc control because that's there spec 🙄

1 minute ago, andybeau said:

That really is bad. I've been programming robots for over 20 years and you usually only see knocks while commissioning. The odd forgotten collision zone.

Small stand alone cells are nice, I just wish some big OEMs would go with that instead of insisting on plc control because that's there spec 🙄

When the whole line stops due to a minor program clitch , you have to find to step on or change a value , not just a quick recycle as other processes will be affected. That line is raw material in to forklift pallet out. With stand alone you can bypass or recycle the plc.