ULEZ Historic vehicles

Mark B

Earlier in this "debate" there was a bit of a thread on Batteries? and the enviornmental "cost" of manufacture?. Looking for something unrelated. I came across this:- https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/millions-electric-cars-are-coming-what-happens-all-dead-batteries?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB 

Certainly "food for thought"?.

Pete

11 hours ago, PeteH said:

Bock on topic, BTW. I am still awaiting a reply from TFL. That was Now back on the 5th of May.

When I checked my spitfire it said it was exempt from all clean air zones. image.png.026bd3a15e33a8aab47a4bcc9d051e9c.png

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Earlier in this "debate" there was a bit of a thread on Batteries? and the enviornmental "cost" of manufacture?. Looking for something unrelated. I came across this:- https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/millions-electric-cars-are-coming-what-happens-all-dead-batteries?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB 

Certainly "food for thought"?.

Pete

It sort of follows the way electricity generating rushed into nuclear and ignored the recycling question.

40 minutes ago, Chris A said:

It sort of follows the way electricity generating rushed into nuclear and ignored the recycling question.

So nuclear powered cars each with its' own small reactor are out of the question for now, I take it?

So now we are on the verge of cleaning up the environment for the next 10 years with EVs, only to destroy it with the left over batteries that are no real use to anyone. Maybe they should be shipped to the moon as in Gerry Anderson's, Space 1999. Ahh, yes, that stockpile of nuclear waste blew up and sent the moon out of orbit, causing tidal waves, gravitational shifts etc.... maybe not such a good idea. Perhaps Elon Musk should shoot them all into the sun with his expensive, polluting oversized fireworks?

34 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

So nuclear powered cars each with its' own small reactor are out of the question for now, I take it?

Well, 70% of electric cars here are nuclear powered, logically as that is the percentage of electricity produced by nuclear power stations.

The philosophy of Physics? You don't create energy, you merely convert something else into your required form. From which there will ALWAYS be some form of  debris, somewhere in the chain.

37 minutes ago, PeteH said:

You don't create energy, you merely convert something else into your required form. From which there will ALWAYS be some form of  debris, somewhere in the chain.

What one man considers debris another knows is rose fertilizer.

db

There is a lot of 'rose fertiser' being talked about the environment at the moment. Nobody, but nobody, appears to have actually thought this through from start to finish, only little pockets of thought that suit their ideals. I remember as a teenager (well just about remember), we all wanted to save the whale, stop the wars, save the planet but none of us ever thought through how to do it or whether it was possible. The joys of youff!!

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

The philosophy of Physics? You don't create energy, you merely convert something else into your required form. From which there will ALWAYS be some form of  debris, somewhere in the chain.

Matter can neither be created nor destroyed only transformed. That's what we were told in physics, one of the few things I still remember

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

AKA the second law of thermodynamics - "There's no such thing as a free lunch.".

14 hours ago, Chris A said:

Well, 70% of electric cars here are nuclear powered, logically as that is the percentage of electricity produced by nuclear power stations.

That's the ultimate NIMBY escape; we drive a car that doesn't pollute our own area, but someone else's... and at end of life they go off and are broken up in someone else's area, too.

BW's point reminds me of the debate on end of world / cataclysm / plague movie or book... everyone sees themselves as the survivor, not as the victim, although I suppose a book from the perspective of the victim wouldn't be that long, really.. :)

We all want to save the planet but preferably with the impact on someone else, so that we can continue on as before. Covid at present is a perfect example: let's stop people coming into our country and bringing infections, let's socially distance and keep away from spreaders, but when can we go abroad on holiday?

Last summer Lady BW and I watched our box set of the BBC drama 'Survivors'...it appeared appropriate. We had forgotten the opening sequence. For those of you who have forgotten too, a plague hits the world and the majority of the population perish except for a few 'Survivors'. The title sequence starts off in a laboratory where an 'oriental' looking scientist drops a flask of something which shatters. The scientist is then seen in a major airport, cross fade to jet aircraft taking off, he collaspes, shot of passports around the world.... Sound familiar??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch7N7KCn778

See for yourself, the future foretold in 57 seconds.

4 hours ago, PeteH said:

you merely convert something else into your required form. From which there will ALWAYS be some form of  debris, somewhere in the chain.

wind power............well i create wind  sometimes there's debris  the previous day it was sprouts 

the law of physics is proven 

Pete

If you're going down that route, you also create methane. So, do we take out all the vegetarians and er, dispose of them for polluting the planet. As I said, they don't think it through. 

By the way, I read a couple of weeks ago that the little Yank martian tractor thingy had produced oxygen from carbon dioxide. Just a minute.....thinks.... why don't we all do that. Maybe Lidl could market a DIY build kit as a special..world saved!!

NB. If you are a veggie and are reading this, sorry, no offence or personal insult intended.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Covid at present is a perfect example: let's stop people coming into our country and bringing infections, let's socially distance and keep away from spreaders, but when can we go abroad on holiday?

A good few years ago I met a couple of Brits who had moved out to France. Their reason? Too many immigrants in Britain. Made me smile, but they weren't too happy when I pointed out that they were now immigrants.

3 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

By the way, I read a couple of weeks ago that the little Yank martian tractor thingy had produced oxygen from carbon dioxide. Just a minute.....thinks.... why don't we all do that.

I had pretty much the same thought, spend millions on sending that to Mars rather than a fraction of the money here . . .

I blame that Italian bloke Christopher Columbus for it all, he should have kept quiet about what he found!

20 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I blame that Italian bloke Christopher Columbus for it all, he should have kept quiet about what he found!

The Vikings were there first, they had the sense to shut up about it.

I used to love Survivors, the only query - even as a child - was why they always drank out of glass jamjars? Did the plague kill off all the mugs, too?

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I used to love Survivors, the only query - even as a child - was why they always drank out of glass jamjars? Did the plague kill off all the mugs, too?

Well all the mugs went and a good few other people, the jam jars were just for the poitin

10 hours ago, Chris A said:

A good few years ago I met a couple of Brits who had moved out to France. Their reason? Too many immigrants in Britain. Made me smile, but they weren't too happy when I pointed out that they were now immigrants.

In the USA. We where officially "legal aliens".😆

Pete

7 hours ago, PeteH said:

In the USA. We where officially "legal aliens".😆

Pete

Hence the Sting song:

Oh, I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
I'm an Englishman in New York

I substitute "in The Orne" 😎