TIME FOR OLD TIME

Badwolf

After numerous postscabout 'the gud ole days' and 'in my days', I thought a thread to remember 'the way we were'.

Yes fish 'n chips in newspaper, old engine oil on the shed....off we go.

You mean freezing cold outside toilets full of huge black spiders, with a gap top and bottom of the door so that as you sat on the throne you could look out of the top of the door into the upper house windows, who could presumably look back down at you sitting there? Used to be a scary pace in the dark with no electric lighting...

That sort of thing?

Colin - Like my aunties outside loo. Used to hang on til the last possible moment before going and then the shock of the cold and the wildlife made it hard to do anything when you got in there, so you read the damp newspaper hanging from the hook on the wall, yes exactly that!!

14 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Granny had a two seater so you could have company and compare.

Regards.

Paul

Ahh. The old "Two Holers" as us knew `em ooop ere!. With the "night soil" man collecting the "bins". All went on the land too. Some of the Houses had no back entry, and it came through the house, with granny putting old newspaper on the mats for the guys to walk on!. Even earlier (even I don`t remember this, I was told) There where 2 Toilets in the back Close, and as many as 10 or more families shared them!. Those houses (in Hull) only got pulled down in the 50`s.

Our first House when I got married (1964) still had the outside loo. Coal Fire, No central heating, (unless a cuddle in bed counts?).

Pete

I`m not as old as some of you,but great memories (late 60`s) of going to my Nans caravan for a holiday in Hayling Island,gas lamps lit by hand,toilets in a block on the other side of the site,freezing cold showers and lots of spiders etc.

Black and white small TV running off a car battery which we had to take to the local garage every 3 days to get charged.

Playing in a wooden sided inlet with my brother catching various sea life,we used to climb down the sides of it,you had to get out before the tide came in too far.

I loved it and still go to Hayling regularly.

Steve

Right, my dad used to have to take me with him in the car on staturdays during the seventies. Basically to give my mum a rest ! I remember making him go to national garage to get the latest collection , he had to put a fiver in the tank, not best pleased with that. That was the most time i ever spent with him as a kid, remembering those journeys. 

Frost, inside my bedroom windows on the morning.      A concrete air raid shelter in the garden - Dad built a greenhouse on top of it.  A milkman whose van was drawn by a horse.   

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Granny had a two seater so you could have company and compare.

Regards.

Paul

I shudder to think of what you'd be comparing with your Granny...

My Grandfather's house was an old Linen-Factory worker's house, with round light switches and sockets for the three-pin round-prong plugs. He had painted walls, two colours - dark brown below, light cream above with a black dividing line all the way round. It was always very gloomy due to the lace curtains. There was a huge 'Modern Mistress' coal fired range which provided hot water and had a temperature gauge on the front that used to fascinate me. The clock ticked constantly - it was often the only noise in the room as there was no TV, only an old radio set that was rarely turned on - and it chimed every half hour. I bought one in an antique shop when I first got married to remind me of him. The large 'Belfast' sink in his kitchen is nowadays very fashionable. 

Filling up my Honda 50 for 1 shilling and sixpence. Dustmen coming all the way down the drive to pick up the (metal) dustbin...and putting it back.  Waiting to catch the train from Stowmarket to Liverpool St, always a Brittania Class pacific majestically appearing, then watching the telegraph lines hanging from the lineside poles. London buses with the platform on the back.  My mum's AGA in her kitchen in her old rambling Suffolk farmhouse, the only heating.. The total lack of traffic there and catching the once weekly bus into Bury St Edmunds to go shopping, (not forgetting to catch it to go home again!).   Pre Beeching branch lines.  The labour intensive farm next door still using horses in the 50's. 

Pass the rose tinted glasses!

blue star batteries 

6d back on corona bottles 

milk bottles 

heating pennies to make a image in the ice on the windows 

going to school every week day it never closed even with 1ft of snow 

school blazers and stitch on badges 

making slides down the footpath and playground 

and Wrest Park hunting lodge still has a two seater downstairs Loo

having to grease loads of grease nipples on your first car 

police on a Noddy bike (velocette)

Waiting on the 'big bridge' by Barking train station to get covered in steam and soot from the trains passing underneath. 

I wonder why I had asthma as a kid? 

Iain 

1 hour ago, mark powell said:

Filling up my Honda 50 for 1 shilling and sixpence.

6/8 a gallon for 4*.

1/10 for a pint of bitter, the best was a huge 2/-.

Getting my first pay rise which took my salary to very slightly over £1000 per year.

Then a few years later buying my first house, 3 bedrooms + integral garage, bought off plans for £7149

We used have a large Tin bath and all six of us used to que up for a bath in front of the fire in the kitchen on a Sunday, we  also had a a outside toilet and our toilet paper was the news paper!!   Six children and 2 x adults in a two & half bedroom terraced miners house!

Mum and me moved into a house where the bath was at the end of the kitchen and the toilet was the other side of the wall outside. That was not the sixties or seventies but 1986! The old couple before had never changed it from when it was build. I used to park my motorbike in the back room, having to wheel it through the front room! Just so some thieving git did not steal it. (My dad long since driven off into the distance)

The "Rag man" coming down the street with his horse, neighbour's at the windows waiting for it to have a dump so they could put it on the veg patch. and "Smog" real pea soupers in the 50's and 60's.

Tony. 

Car magazines and newspapers were full of ads like this:

994867293_ScreenShot2021-05-06at15_51_49.thumb.png.a21f9f60e3717b63ab1e99b20840daf2.png

I've covered up the pointy bits for family consumption... but that was in THE COURIER! They don't make 'em like that any more... That wee girl on the left needs another sandwich, she looks very hungry.

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Car magazines and newspapers were full of ads like this:

994867293_ScreenShot2021-05-06at15_51_49.thumb.png.a21f9f60e3717b63ab1e99b20840daf2.png

I've covered up the pointy bits for family consumption... but that was in THE COURIER! They don't make 'em like that any more... That wee girl on the left needs another sandwich, she looks very hungry.

I can remember that Advert!

The Model on the right is Corrine Russell one of the Sun Page 3 Girls, not sure about the lady on the left though 

I also remember visiting John Hills in the 80's for parts on several occasions, how about a full set of Brand New PI Ro-style trims for £18?

I also had a re-conditioned 13/60 Bonnet off them when my Herald 1200 Bonnet was crushed by a Forklift Truck (There's a story?!!) together with a Second hand Herald roof with Sunroof, I think I paid £150 for both

I suppose the Advert would be classed as Politically incorrect nowadays?

Gary 

On 05/05/2021 at 15:58, poppyman said:

The "Rag man" coming down the street with his horse, neighbour's at the windows waiting for it to have a dump so they could put it on the veg patch. and "Smog" real pea soupers in the 50's and 60's.

Tony. 

Our milkman had a horse, same race to beat the neighbour to the steaming heap left behind !

Howard's Dairies | Shops and Businesses | Benfleet Community Archive

Nick

44 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

I also remember visiting John Hills in the 80's for parts on several occasions, how about a full set of Brand New PI Ro-style trims for £18?

I also had a re-conditioned 13/60 Bonnet off them when my Herald 1200 Bonnet was crushed by a Forklift Truck (There's a story?!!) together with a Second hand Herald roof with Sunroof, I think I paid £150 for both

I suppose the Advert would be classed as Politically incorrect nowadays?

Gary 

That advert would be classed as starvation these days... :)

Just been looking at old Couriers... I wish I had a time machine...

129439585_ScreenShot2021-05-06at17_17_03.png.95ef8495eb2b18ba19983a6ecd47f003.png

2 hours ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

Our milkman had a horse, same race to beat the neighbour to the steaming heap left behind !

Howard's Dairies | Shops and Businesses | Benfleet Community Archive

Nick

... and they called him Ernie, and he drove the fastest milk cart in the west.