Distributor

woody pecker

Woody, have you looked at the engine?   The metering unit is designed to go between the blo cc k and the dizzie.  Take out the M/u and the dizzie slots right into the block.    That's it.

Mind you, you're crackers to change reliable Pi for a set of carbs that need adjusting every five minutes!  Think again and reconsider!

John

PS mind you, you'll get a tidy sum for a complete Pi kit, if you have he full set!

i would guess a 2500S  dizzy is close being on carbs ???

i woud try with the existing  , youre going to loose some horses removing the Pi  so try what you have and work from there if 

you find problems   you may just need to swap the vac unit to change cruise  advance ( if it has one ) 

Pete

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Mind you, you're crackers to change reliable Pi for a set of carbs that need adjusting every five minutes!

You should be OK with Strombergs, good enough for USA TR6s.

Have a look at Buckeye Triumphs for how they work, how to fix them and how to set them up.

https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/carburetors

Doug

I restored a friend's TR6 around 15 years ago - it was a US model, so came with Strombergs.  I threw those away and fitted triple 40DCOE Webers - after a decent rolling-road setup, that thing absolutely flew and was much quicker than an injected car.  I can't remember what cam we used but with around 10:1 CR and a properly curved distributor it was glorious.  Made a glorious noise, too, and not too thirsty.  Sidedraught Webers are fixed jet, so once the jetting is done on the RR, including the pump jets, the only fiddling you can do is to synchronize them, so not a lot of adjustment to worry about and no diaphragms etc. to fail.  I ran a Healey 3000 with triple 45s for some years, too - great.

20 hours ago, JohnD said:

Mind you, you're crackers to change reliable Pi for a set of carbs that need adjusting every five minutes!

PI has it's good points I assume and gives more accurate metering, good for racing etc.

For a lot of our car that have general road use, I'm interested in the "need for constant adjusting you mention". What goes "out of adjustment" quickly on them?.

I understand ambient temp will have some effect on mixture, so a carb won't recognize this (also, doesn't Lucas PI struggle with driving high up?).

Dave

Edited by daverclasper

2 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

PI has it's good points I assume and gives more accurate metering, good for racing etc.

For a lot of our car that have general road use, I'm interested in the "need for constant adjusting you mention". What goes "out of adjustment" quickly on them?.

I understand ambient temp will have some effect on mixture, so a carb won't recognize this.

Dave

PI is hopeless in the mountains, goes incredibly rich (there is about 20% less oxygen at 3000m) where carbs largely cope as the less dense air pulls less fuel. But that is a little unusual for most PI cars (except on the 10CR!)

PI is a relatively crude injection system, I would expect carbs to give more accurate fuel metering. But not much can touch a PI for grunt.

As for USA spec TR6, I think they were about 30% less power than the PI cars..... so a poor comparison. But on the original cam etc should be pretty reasonable, but keep the dizzy as it will match the cam/CR

On 06/05/2021 at 22:00, woody pecker said:

Im changing from fuel injection to carbs on a 2500cc tr6.

You could always go for 3 Jenvey Heritage Weber look alike injection? 

Would look great and be the best of both worlds. Not a cheap option but as said you'll get some money back for your PI system. If I were changing I'd go Jenvey Heritage. 

Iain 

There other ways.......

3BAF1483-3E35-483E-802C-92F0D5003730.thumb.jpeg.80d8f50e3537b5d9dd11469d7e1b5cd6.jpeg

My Vitesse.  I used the PI hardware as a base when I did my PI saloon so that looked fairly “factory”. Don’t have a pic of that on my phone.

Re the OP, is this a CR or CP TR6? CR should run well on Strombergs or SUs. CP could be a bit crabby at idle/low speed part throttle and would do better with one butterfly per pot.

For either I would start with the the original distributor but try connecting the vacuum advance if it has one. Most PI engines did have them but not connected.

Nick