Cars I'm viewing - advice appreciated

mfidler

Good morning everyone,

After a couple of threads asking for second pairs of eyes on cars I've been viewing, I thought I might start a rolling thread to share my thoughts and some of the photos that I take viewing TR4s and possibly GT6s (although these aren't representing good value for money at the moment from my perspective).

I'm on the lookout for a TR4/A first and foremostly preferably original looking but with a few little modifications out of immediate sight to bring the 0-60 time under the 10 second mark or so and give a little enhancement to the driving experience while still retaining an authentic feel. I've viewed a couple of TR4s already and they all spoke to me, but unfortunately had issues that would have made them uneconomical for me to bring them up to a standard I would be happy with (very good - not concours).

I've had my eye on this one for a while

1967 Triumph TR4A IRS

It looks quite tidy in the photos (although there are a few little aesthetic infelicities that won't be hard to fix - I can respray the dash myself), the panel gaps look good, it has some modifications that appeal to me (although the proof will be in the viewing of course), I'm going to give the seller a call tonight and run through the usual points. Ideally I would want to get some high resolution photos of the cars underneath before travelling some 60 miles or so to view.

4 minutes ago, mfidler said:

1967 Triumph TR4A IRS

It looks quite tidy in the photos (although there are a few little aesthetic infelicities that won't be hard to fix - I can respray the dash myself), the panel gaps look good, it has some modifications that appeal to me (although the proof will be in the viewing of course), I'm going to give the seller a call tonight and run through the usual points. Ideally I would want to get some high resolution photos of the cars underneath before travelling some 60 miles or so to view.

Hi M,

that looks quite neat, high end of the 'good' range £wise.

Check the boot lower flange for rust and bodge repair. Bottoms of all wings. If there are no wheel arch liners check tops of all wings

Look at the floor - lift the carpets.

It still has a wide fan belt - as it got an alternator?

The wiper motor is the later TR6 14W - this is actually a good mod - but they could have put the blades in the correct position.

The Weber's look tasty but not economical on MPG.

The engine breathing system has been changed - does the pipe from the rocker cover go to a catch tank.

If not already done then a TR4 snorkel needs fitting just below the mechanical petrol ump.

Does the Rad overflow go into a catch bottle to be drawn back into the system - special rad cap required.

There will be a BIG  TR week-end gathering at Malvern in mid August  TRR/TSSC/MG joint venture. There will be cars for sale to see and buy.

Roger

On 08/05/2021 at 12:17, mfidler said:

1967 Triumph TR4A IRS

If you are still interested in a 4, one has appeared today on the Triumph TR4 Group on  Facebook - it looks quite interesting at a price that is probably achievable for you - located in Portsmouth (no personal interest) 

........ Andy 

44 minutes ago, AndyTV8 said:

If you are still interested in a 4, one has appeared today on the Triumph TR4 Group on  Facebook - it looks quite interesting at a price that is probably achievable for you - located in Portsmouth (no personal interest) 

Link please? I can't seem to find it...

To be honest, I'm taking a brief hiatus from my search for the next few days to deal with a crisis of conscience regarding Austin Healey Sprites 🙃 .

That looks a decent car but as Roger says it's priced at the top end of good 4As, looks like a dealer price and quite strong if it's a private sale. Roger knows everything worth knowing about 4As, so his advice is as good as you will ever get. The advert seems to imply the Surrey top is available separately. It's well worth having... perhaps a good haggling point if you decide this is the car for you?

As for the thirst of the Webers, I wouldn't worry unless it was my only car and a daily workhorse. As a fun car, just enjoy the acceleration and the Webers' unique induction music as you put your foot down.

Nigel

2 hours ago, mfidler said:

Link please? I can't seem to find it...

To be honest, I'm taking a brief hiatus from my search for the next few days to deal with a crisis of conscience regarding Austin Healey Sprites 🙃 .

This his should work:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/659232924278450/permalink/1656012721267127/

....... Andy 

9 hours ago, mfidler said:

Any ideas on the '3' theme?

I did read some info on it a while ago - but don’t remember the detail. I believe the owner is from the United States and probably a link to pool - doesn’t take much to change the gear knob, not sure if the roof is paint or decal - I’d speak to the owner if i were you.

....... Andy 

2 hours ago, AndyTV8 said:

I did read some info on it a while ago - but don’t remember the detail. I believe the owner is from the United States and probably a link to pool - doesn’t take much to change the gear knob, not sure if the roof is paint or decal - I’d speak to the owner if i were you.

Thanks Andy, I'll get in touch later - do you have a link to what you saw beforehand? Checking the MOT history reveals nothing since 2018 which is an awfully long time for a car in regular use.

10 hours ago, mfidler said:

Thanks Andy, I'll get in touch later - do you have a link to what you saw beforehand? Checking the MOT history reveals nothing since 2018 which is an awfully long time for a car in regular use.

No, I don’t have any other links, the owner wouldn’t be the first person to align to the revised MoT testing for Historic vehicles - as mentioned, a conversation with the owner is probably the most effective way to proceed.

..... Andy 

Thanks for the heads up Andy, I might be going that way in a couple of weeks so might postpone until then, looks like it needs a few little bits done, but no obvious clangers in the pictures.

I saw this very tidy example

1963 TR4

On the carandclassic site today - probably well worth a trip up to Warwickshire, looking very original with all the desirables and the same owner since 1972, which hopefully means there'll be a good deal of information about the quality of restoration it's seen in the last 20 years or so.

Another interesting one across the Thames from me

1964 TR4

A little bit too modified for my liking, and the price is a little high, panel gaps may be off judging from photos (although polybushed)

I'm quite tempted to sit on my hands for another week, see how much this one sells for at auction and then take it from there, as a few much more promising looking cars have come onto my radar after a few months of pretty much nothing at all.

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yikes! There's a Herald convertible going on that site for £13,000 and the paint looks to have been applied with a roller...

1926773289_ScreenShot2021-05-10at20_49_13.png.e52ad5073d0ccfe6416e36f319105525.png

That bulkhead looks decidedly more uneven than the paintwork - someone will still have it now the sun's come out! Insane that someone's asking that money for any Herald convertible, especially one with a tired looking interior and surface rust alluding to a lack of diligence in ownership.

Either that or they've decided to spray it on as thick as they can to avoid the time it takes to put a second coat on. I lamentably did something similar earlier this year spraying a coffee table which I now regret every time I look at it.

2 hours ago, mfidler said:

I'm quite tempted to sit on my hands for another week, see how much this one sells for at auction and then take it from there, as a few much more promising looking cars have come onto my radar after a few months of pretty much nothing at all.

Super..... glad you are having more success, enjoy the search :) 

....... Andy 

48 minutes ago, AndyTV8 said:

Super..... glad you are having more success, enjoy the search :) 

Thanks, I keep meaning to ring people up, but just as I'm about to I always see something a little more enticing. I wonder what's going to happen to the market over the next few months now that no-one's been really selling over winter due to the usual reasons.

7 hours ago, mfidler said:

Thanks, I keep meaning to ring people up, but just as I'm about to I always see something a little more enticing. I wonder what's going to happen to the market over the next few months now that no-one's been really selling over winter due to the usual reasons.

I sold my modern on Autotrader in early April enabling me to buy a replacement when the motor trade opened on April 12 . I knew what we needed and had a list . We purchased the replacement at 11am on the 12th April with a deal I was happy with . I went in the following week and 80% of their forecourt had changed together with several 21’s waiting to be collected . We’re going from 2 cars to one , plus of course our Vitesse . The second car  is on Autotrader with a couple of enquires already . There’s a lot of pent up demand and equally a good supply of moderns . Not sure how that applies to classics but my guess is that is prices will trend up as there will be more buyers than sellers . There’s little point in saving with our low interest rates and COVID has given us a lot of time to reflect and decide what’s important in life 

Paul 

8 hours ago, mfidler said:

I wonder what's going to happen to the market over the next few months now that no-one's been really selling over winter due to the usual reasons.

My impression is that demand is currently driving prices up for good,  usable classics.  Expect this trend to continue through the summer.  Post lock down, enthusiasts seem to want to get their hands on classics they can drive straightaway rather than a project or fixer upper. 

Nigel

27 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

My impression is that demand is currently driving prices up for good,  usable classics.  Expect this trend to continue through the summer.  Post lock down, enthusiasts seem to want to get their hands on classics they can drive straightaway rather than a project or fixer upper. 

Nigel

Not many people want to get there hands dirty these days. So they factor the price of repairs by a tradesmen before purchase . This means a drivable car has alot more value than book price. So if you don't mind getting your own hands dirty there could still be some bargains out there.

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

Not many people want to get there hands dirty these days. So they factor the price of repairs by a tradesmen before purchase . This means a drivable car has alot more value than book price. So if you don't mind getting your own hands dirty there could still be some bargains out there.

True - although some barely drivable ones have been selling for rather too much.

I've messaged the seller of the very original and tidy looking 1963 TR4 on carandclassic just now, apparently had it for the past 48 years so should know everything about it. If I could get one like it I'd keep it as-is and wouldn't bother with any mods.

2 hours ago, Roger K said:

Having restored 4As and TR6s in the past, I would take panel gaps with a pinch of salt and wouldn't buy without seeing it up on a lift whilst armed with a good torch, especially an original RHD car.

I've asked in my message to the seller whether we could take the car to a local garage, have it MOTd and then do a quick inspection afterwards - I'll look in the usual places and upload some pics here for more experienced eyes.