Removing light switch plastic knob

Hi Guys,

Restarted work on rewiring my Spit Mk3 after my op. I have undone the bezel on the main light switch but how do you get the plastic knob off? I can see what looks like a grub screw but it does not have a screwdriver slot. The switch is the original from 1967 so would I be better off replacing it with a new one from one of the usual parts suppliers?

Cheers.

A bit of WD40 run into the knob will help.

Also if its the type with a clear plastic lens you can remove this to allow cleaning of the symbol and lens inside face. It needs a small flat blade screwdriver to push back the spring clip but the lenses are prone to chipping as you lever them out. If that happens the lens can be put back in the otherway round to improve its appearance...

• 4 weeks later...

Some good tips, thanks. I bought a replacement switch last year but haven’t as yet fitted it. My “second pull” position didn’t work to illuminate the instrument panel but there’s a spare spade terminal on the switch to turn it into “one pull” function.

I think I’ll go and spray the plastic knob with WD40 to give it plenty of time to soak before I get round to replacing it.

I’m finding that once the car is going well, I’d rather drive it than tinker with it. 😀

• 4 weeks later...