Introducing Hetty the Herald

jagnut66

Hi, 

I've posed a few questions on this site recently, so as I finally went over and collected her from Llangollen in Wales and drove her back on Saturday, I thought it was about time I introduced the source of all my questions.

Of course there may be some on here who know her former owners, Bryn and Pam, if so you will also have crossed paths with the Herald before but for those who don't: Here's Hetty.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Hetty.JPG

1970 Triumph Herald Hetty.jpg

Hetty's interior.JPG

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Casper said:

Can I see a sunroof?

Yes, she has a white Webasto.

Yes, she does make me 'smile', I think the Herald looks like she's smiling too.............

Work to be done but that's half the fun of ownership.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• Like 1

Lovely, but then, it being a 1200 I'm biased.

Pity you've named it already... I've got The 'Morris On' band playing in the garage on the iPod at present and they sing: "My sweet Jenny Jones is the pride of Llangollen, my sweet Jenny Jones is the girl I love best...."

So: guess what I'd have called her...

41 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Pity you've named it already... I've got The 'Morris On' band playing in the garage on the iPod at present and they sing: "My sweet Jenny Jones is the pride of Llangollen, my sweet Jenny Jones is the girl I love best...."

The previous owners had already named her and I said I was happy to go with that.

I'd never heard of that song until now..............

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Mike - Looks very tidy. Just enjoy.

Thanks, one thing that will bother me though is that there are a couple of small spits in the top of the drivers door, one on the inside below the quarterlight and one on the outside in front of it.

A shame because the door sits really well and are in line with the body (not sticking out), so I don't want to reskin.

Is this common? Caused by constant use / slamming of the door? If so can you just weld up the splits?

Best wishes,

Mike. 

• 2 weeks later...

a couple of small spits in the top of the drivers door, one on the inside below the quarterlight and one on the outside in front of it.

Not unusual, yes, it's due to slamming the door.  Ignore them !

C.

52 minutes ago, Casper said:

Not unusual, yes, it's due to slamming the door.  Ignore them !

C.

Okay.

So long as they don't turn into rust magnets.......

As an aside, I recently posted requesting advice about a rivet gun, as I need to refit the chrome trim to the drivers door (some old rivets had broken off), anyway with the trim removed I spotted the  typical 'rush job' giveaway of white overspray on it and on closer inspection of this and the 'quality' of the white side stripe I am almost certain that it is a later addition.

I now have 5 litres of Wedgewood blue, so it's days are numbered.....

Best wishes,

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally got round to checking out the commission plate, the paint code was '26', nothing else, so was just Wedgewood Blue origionally and the white stripe was an add on by a later owner.

The trim code states '11' I think that's black but can someone else confirm or otherwise? Thanks.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Black is 11.

When the cars were built the stripe was an optional extra, so it wouldn't be featured anywhere on the car's commission plate, but could still have been there from new. It's quite a common colour scheme, there are dozens of photos on the Net. 

Okay but the stripe still looks to be of poorer quality (in terms of the actual spraying) that the main blue body colour and there are chips revealing good blue underneath.

Plus there is white overspray on the underside of the chome side strips.

Or was the above standard?? 

Best wishes,

Mike.

com plate on my cactus and black  paint coded was 15/11  so a plain 26 had no stripe from the factory its a must have been added somewhere in its life

the over spray confirms as on production the paint was applied before the chrome strips were fitted 

Pete

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

com plate on my cactus and black  paint coded was 15/11  so a plain 26 had no stripe from the factory its a must have been added somewhere in its life

the over spray confirms as on production the paint was applied before the chrome strips were fitted 

Pete

That's what I was hoping from the start, not that I'd have felt too guilty for deleting it when she gets a bottom half respray but from what you say I will be putting it back to as she left the factory. 

I'd still prefer a dark blue interior but that can wait, especially as the black ones in such good condition (no tears or anything).

Unless of course someone out there has a blue interior and wants to swap it to black?

Best wishes,

Mike.

38 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

That's what I was hoping from the start, not that I'd have felt too guilty for deleting it when she gets a bottom half respray but from what you say I will be putting it back to as she left the factory. 

I'd still prefer a dark blue interior but that can wait, especially as the black ones in such good condition (no tears or anything).

Unless of course someone out there has a blue interior and wants to swap it to black?

Best wishes,

Mike.

Hi Mike 

that’s not a bad idea swapping with someone just post your idea and I bet you’ll get some great feedback regarding a swap or if someone knows someone who knows someone that wants one ....😄

mark 

I don't want to high jack the thread just a slight detour.

The commission plate on my 13/60 shows the colour as DB 572. I've always had my doubts about the plate being original although the original colour of the car was red. The plate and rivets look to clean.

SAM_1748.thumb.JPG.552026bbfdb925baa3601eb62f709c8a.JPG

1 hour ago, Mark Seniac said:

That plate looks in too good a nick 👀 I could be wrong... probably just well looked after ... my plate not in its best shape but you can still make the stamps out 3CE5F055-0EBE-4693-9F4D-6F65268909BD.thumb.jpeg.f68aca3fe39c669dc7e0f780fb519132.jpeg

Yes I think it is a replacement also because the trim is 'beige' rather than a code as in your's.

On 10/06/2021 at 15:33, Mark Seniac said:

that’s not a bad idea swapping with someone just post your idea and I bet you’ll get some great feedback regarding a swap or if someone knows someone who knows someone that wants one ....😄

I have created a 'wanted' ad, which should appear in next months mag and on this site but if there is no response I will create a post, as you suggest, in the hope that someone on here will read it on this forum, who may have missed (or not been looking for it) it in the mag or wanted section of this site.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Hi Mike 

I've just looked at your wanted ad hope you get what you need mate... you can still try posting it as well just check your not breaking any rules and make sure it goes on the right forum section. There are a lot of great members who surf the forum probably more than the ad section I’m not sure but always worth a try ... 

Mark 

ps. have you entered the HOLY GRAIL compo yet it’s worth a go prizes for club shop vouchers available... 

On 11/06/2021 at 18:28, Mark Seniac said:

ps. have you entered the HOLY GRAIL compo yet it’s worth a go prizes for club shop vouchers available.

I'd never heard about it until you mentioned it, where do I need to look for it?

Best wishes,

Mike.