Is it (just) Me?.

PeteH

Not a programme I watch. but my wife called me to "come and see this". On the "One Show "BBC 1 , A couple came back from France, and after getting off the boat heard knocking from the roof box on their car. Beginning to suspect the worst they called the police who  asked where they where going, when they said home, they said OK we will meet you in. On arrival the Police opened the box to find an illegal, who they arrested. 6 Months later they get a fine, from Border Force for £200.00  for aiding the illegal. Now if you where "importing illegals". would you call the Plod?.

Now to my mind, this is a huge own goal by border force, because now no sane person is going to inform them nor the police. It'll be a "piss off get lost" and keep quiet about it.

If they had brains they would be dangerous!.

Pete

Poetic licence or no?. If you where now in that situation, would you call Plod?. I`d be in the first layby and he`d be off ASA, Not risking a  £200 fine for being a good citizen.

I had 7 lockers on the last R-V. Most would have held at least one. So Yes, we did check. Once had the British Border guys look on the roof in Calais, In case they where hiding up there, we`d just been doing a tad over 60 to make the Ferry too.

Pete

If you read the form they received they claimed the vehicle was locked, the illegal claimed he was able to access it because it wasn't. The driver says that despite the fact that there are warning signs saying 'secure your vehicle' to prevent illegals gaining access there isn't one for 'secure your roofbox' hence he's innocent. So: he failed to secure his vehicle as requested, the illegal got access, and that's what the fine's for. Of course, as you say, if he'd just said nothing... :)