Brake Pad Interchangeability

Peaks

As my Vitesse has Girling 16P calipers, does that mean that pads will fit from any car that uses the same caliper? Those calipers seem to be used on a lot of other vehicles, and if the pads are the same then it'll make sourcing performance pads easier (and in some cases cheaper). 

Sort of.

The triumph ones come in 3 flavors, 16p, pb and metric. The metric versions were fitted to the last GT6's (swing spring IIRC)

The earlier imperial types use a larger pad retaining pin. Th ford fitment calipers use the metric sized pins.

So if you buy pads for a capri etc, the pad holes will need opening up a smidge. 

Yes, I have used greenstuff (not impressed) OE girling asbestos pads (superb but go off when very hot) 1144 (similar to the old Girling) Ferodo DS2500 (lack cold bite, but superb when warmed)

All Vitesse 2 litre  models left the factory with Girling 16P imperial calipers. That's not to say that metric replacements couldn't have been fitted later. 

My 72 GT6 has one imperial and one metric caliper when I bought it 20 years ago! 

Nigel