Rover 2600 in a Spitfire

hardhatharry

4 minutes ago, hardhatharry said:

Just mulling over period engines that would be good in a Spitfire.

Everyone one seems to say GT6, Vitesse 2L, Rover V8 but what about Rover 2600 straight 6 found in the SD1 why is that not a popular conversion?

When did you last see a rover 2600 engine? But I think they may be taller, and a difficult fit in a spitfire where space is tight.

Alternatives, I have seen an alfa twin cam fitted, and i fitted a sprint engine back in the early 90's. That went well...

Trouble is the GT6 or 2.5 are heavy and then the car loses its nimble handling. 

If you want an "acceptable" conversion, then the triumph six is about the only option. Besides a rover v8, even with the original 140bhp (pathetic for a 3.5 litre engine) will shred diffs. 

I have moved to the darkside, and fitted a modern-ish engine (20 years old) but  bombproof 185bhp from something that weighs the same as the original spitfire engine.  Diff has been changed to Subaru, a conversion that has been around for donkeys years. But I am aware the car would be difficult to find a buyer if I ever wanted to sell it. 

A Rover 2600 engine transplanted into a Triumph seems rather appropriate, as this 6 cylinder OHC design was intended to replace the OHV sixes in Triumph's big saloons. That plan was of course cancelled when the BL's Rover Triumph division decided to rationalise and build the Rover SD1 as their only large passenger car, withdrawing the big Triumph saloons and estates.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

A Rover 2600 engine transplanted into a Triumph seems rather appropriate, as this 6 cylinder OHC design was intended to replace the OHV sixes in Triumph's big saloons. That plan was of course cancelled when the BL's Rover Triumph division decided to rationalise and build the Rover SD1 as their only large passenger car, withdrawing the big Triumph saloons and estates.

Nigel

Again shrinking the market for competitors to move in. 

Nigel was the Rover SD1, 6 cylinder 2.6 the same as used in the 73/76 Australian 6 cylinder Leyland P76. I had one as a Co car in July 74 it went very well. I think it was used  in the  Tasman or Kimberly before that they were Land crab derivatives. 

18 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Nigel was the Rover SD1, 6 cylinder 2.6 the same as used in the 73/76 Australian 6 cylinder Leyland P76. I had one as a Co car in July 74 it went very well. I think it was used  in the  Tasman or Kimberly before that they were Land crab derivatives. 

No, I  don't think so. The Rover SD1 2.6 litre engine was coded PE166. Your P76 had a BL E series engine according to Wikipedia. 

Nigel

I believe the Rover 2600 is one of those "what if" engines. As already said, it was developed from the Triumph 2500 for the Rover/Triumph big saloons. Being overhead cam it is taller than the older engine. Someone (Canleys?) had a picture of a Triumph 2000 test vehicle for the 2600 engine, which had a large rectangular raised section in the bonnet. The cross-flow design used the single cam layout of the Dolly Sprint and apparently the performance was so good that they had to de-tune it so it didn't embarrass the Rover V8 engines used in the top range models. I can't seem to lay my hands on any tuning catalogues from the period, but I haven't spotted anyone offering hotter cams to restore the power this engine should have given. I suppose the problem is that this was a one-car-engine. Just imagine what it could have been with a decent cam, then add 4-valves per cylinder - a Rover 2600 Sprint!

Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Richard

PS: Leave the 2300 well alone - it was gutless, presumably to go in a cheaper stripped down model.

36 minutes ago, rlubikey said:

I believe the Rover 2600 is one of those "what if" engines. As already said, it was developed from the Triumph 2500 for the Rover/Triumph big saloons. Being overhead cam it is taller than the older engine. Someone (Canleys?) had a picture of a Triumph 2000 test vehicle for the 2600 engine, which had a large rectangular raised section in the bonnet. The cross-flow design used the single cam layout of the Dolly Sprint and apparently the performance was so good that they had to de-tune it so it didn't embarrass the Rover V8 engines used in the top range models. I can't seem to lay my hands on any tuning catalogues from the period, but I haven't spotted anyone offering hotter cams to restore the power this engine should have given. I suppose the problem is that this was a one-car-engine. Just imagine what it could have been with a decent cam, then add 4-valves per cylinder - a Rover 2600 Sprint!

Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Richard

PS: Leave the 2300 well alone - it was gutless, presumably to go in a cheaper stripped down model.

I know somebody who has a plan involving a 2600 engine, for the very reasons you mention. I expect a std cam can be reground to give something "appropriate" and running it one modern EFI should make it very interesting. 

But I still anticipate issues wedging one into a spitfire without making some ugly decisions.

17 minutes ago, clive said:

But I still anticipate issues wedging one into a spitfire without making some ugly decisions.

You're right of course Clive. How long is it compared to the 2500? Would an "engine back" work?

31 minutes ago, rlubikey said:

You're right of course Clive. How long is it compared to the 2500? Would an "engine back" work?

Probably engine back and a GT6 bonnet to gain enough clearance for the tall OHC Rover engine in a Spitfire.

Nigel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rlubikey said:

The one I have heard about is going in a big saloon, copying Mr Pearsons prototype.

A normal Triumph 6 is enough grief in a spitfire, I am unsure how much taller the 2600 is, but it will multiply the headaches. And as I said, could end up being very ugly. Like some of the USA "modified" cars with what appears to be an inverted wheelbarrow stitched to the bonnet top.