Installation of bell sports exhaust

Martin White

Hi All

I have on order a bell twin exhaust purchased from TSSC. I also have a bell manifold. Before the exhaust turns up I wondered if any of you had any experience of fitting and can suggest any extra items I might need in addition to the kit which comes with it (other than exhaust sealing paste).

I have seen several articles where additional exhaust clams were used. Would like to get anything I need in advance so that hopefully can get this put together in one go. I also realise that I may well have to change the jets to accommodate for the additional airflow.

Any other tips or pointers greatly appreciated

Thanks

Martin

The Club Shop supplies fitting kits with the necessary clamps,  rubber mountings etc. That's the easiest way to ensure you have everything required. 

However,  Mikalor clamps are better than the standard U bolt clamps (search the forum for more info). If you go that route,  you will need to buy the necessary sizes of Mikalor and rubber mountings, working out what's needed. More complicated than buying the fitting kit but a better result in the long run. 

Final tip is to assemble the pipe joints with copper grease,  not exhaust paste.  Makes life so much easier when needing to take the exhaust apart in future. 

Nigel

45 minutes ago, Martin White said:

Hi All

I have on order a bell twin exhaust purchased from TSSC. I also have a bell manifold. Before the exhaust turns up I wondered if any of you had any experience of fitting and can suggest any extra items I might need in addition to the kit which comes with it (other than exhaust sealing paste).

I have seen several articles where additional exhaust clams were used. Would like to get anything I need in advance so that hopefully can get this put together in one go. I also realise that I may well have to change the jets to accommodate for the additional airflow.

Any other tips or pointers greatly appreciated

Thanks

Martin

I doubt you will see much extra from the engine, and you probably haven't checked the CO emissions over the rev range on a rolling road or by using a wideband sensor. Yours may be rich already once off idle, or a tad weak (but rich is far far more common). So don't play with needles without knowing what is happening.

I have not seen what is supplied with the shop mounting kit, but if they supply the little rubber bobbin mounts, I would avoid having the exhaust hanging on them. They are designed to be used in compression, which requires some simple brackets. Likewise make sure the exhaust is supported off the diff front plate. I usually use the old fashioned rubber hanging strap material, simple to cut to length and seems bombproof. Time spent tucking the exhaust up as high as possible is well spent. 

5 minutes ago, clive said:

I usually use the old fashioned rubber hanging strap material, simple to cut to length and seems bombproof. Time spent tucking the exhaust up as high as possible is well spent. 

I've just bought a length online, canvas reinforced strapping and very easy to cut with a hacksaw to the required length. Probably the cheapest option if you require a quantity of it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154016531021

I agree with Clive about keeping the exhaust high; otherwise it will hit on absolutely everything, particularly speed bumps!

Thanks all. Copper grease I have and sounds like a good idea. Will purchase some lengths of the canvas strapping in readiness. I do not know what comes in the fitting kit but I am hoping it is everything I need as I guess these have been supplied for many years. I have already purchased a 1300 gasket (on recommendation from Roger G) to replace the 1500 manifold to head gasket. Hopefully then I am all set.

The current jets in the car are brand new so I should have some control over the fuel mixture. How does everyone check the fuel mixture is optimum without a machine or colour tune? Colour of the plugs after a few miles of running?

Martin

1 hour ago, Martin White said:

How does everyone check the fuel mixture i

old school   ears eyes   nose   work well 

adjust the mixture to get the best idle ,reset the idle if it rises   job  done  

if you have not set the throttles so each idle stop opens them the same and the jets have been raised level with the bridge and backed of equal ammount around 3 turns down as this give you a mechanically balanced starting point 

if your 1500 has wax stat jets i  recommend you replace the wax with two 1p peices 

just carefully prise the crimp off the bsae of the wax jet   lift off the wax capsule  add two 1 penny peices as spacers and add the small metal spacer thats sits on the wax capsule its needed , re fit the capping and re insert the jet a cheap and reliable fix to temperamental was stats 

and as you dont upset the mixture setting you have already it wont mess anything up

Pete

That is great Thanks Colin. Really helps. Did you have to drill the mounting points or can it be done without drilling? I think I may have to settle for 4 axle stands although having a car hoist looks extremely useful for this particular job. 🙂