herald 13/60 1970 propshaft

Dave pb

Hello.

I have a strap-drive propshaft at present. There has always been a lot of vibration, and much worse recently.  I am planning to replace it with a sliding spine type from Dave Mac, after reading various old posts on this forum.

So, a question:-  is it just a straight swap or is the late 13/60 peculiar in some way? Rimmers shows shafts that are "not for late 13/60s".

Cheers

Dave

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You could always replace it with a solid type, no sliding joint to worry about. 1200 props are a straight fit.

Bin it and fit a solid one as Colin says. We had same vibration prob on our 13/60 and got a solid type from a 1200 in the local scrapper 

( those were that days). Strap rhymes with crap for a reason!  

Gav.

6 hours ago, Casper said:

John Kipping used to recommend ditching the straps and bolting the two parts together.

C.

Ah, thats where it comes from...

I did just that for a chappie who had terrible vibration. Cured it in 10 mins (or less?) Just undid the bolts holding te straps, and rotated teh shaft 90degrees, bolted back up and hey presto, no vibration.

Free, quick, nothing to lose.

Sorry, I didn't answer the OP question. All herald props are the same length. And the late 13/60 is the same. I have no idea where some of these anomalies started?

Anyway, if you have a new one made it is sensible to have a sliding joint. It will make fitting easier, and mean the UJs have an easier life. Dave Mac certainly knows his stuff...

• 1 month later...

I bought a spline propshaft from Dave Mac.  Fitted it today.  The old one dropped out nicely, and the new went straight in. A moment of panic when the stud holes at the diff end didn't line up, and I thought "the strap one has different holes!".   Then a bit of calm took over, a 90 degree rotation and all was good. 

Test-drive showed all the vibration I had suffered for years has gone. Fabulous.   But now I can hear all the other noises instead, which i need to track down.

Thanks for  all your advice.   One original strap-drive now available.............

Dave

===

there is no suspension movement at the diff , engine gearbox and diff are all mounted in the chassis so the prop doesnt need anything 

to allow travel there isnt any

the strap drive props are not the best  many fit a prop with a telescopic slide but that only takes up variances in assembly tolerances 

and they also tend to wear as they dont ever slide  

Pete

Hi

Surely, there is no need for slide on a small chassis, all the components are in the same plane?. Engine/Box and Axle are bolted to the chassis?. (with a few flexible mounts for good measure). You could (almost) do without ( prop shaft) U/J`s?.

Pete

with engine shift under braking a fixed prop would exert a load on the diff pinion bearings    

and with chassis tolerances etc some amount of give needs to be built in 

and as the alignment of engine / gearbox to the diff is not a straight line a having no UJ would be  ......terrible 

Pete  

Hi

I think I used the Word Almost?. I certainly would not (personally) want such a rigid system. Especially after having been involved with aligning Marine Engines! and asociated Shafting!.

Pete