Musical Memories

Badwolf

Following on from a thread drift on the ULEZ Historic vehicles thread, which went from ULEZ, to Electric Vehicles, to classic hi-fi equipment, to classic music tracks (what else??), I though that it would be an idea to get everyone's favourite music tracks both singles and albums. Something similar has been done before but what the ....!

I'll kick off with, not necessarily my favourite track but, to a certain generation, the track which is probably most famously associated with the pop music charts but never actually appeared in the charts...

Brian Fahey's version of 'At the Sign of the Swingin' Cymbal'.... Never heard of it? I bet that you HAVE heard it...somewhere.

alright... right....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcJPjvVtB0

....not arf.

Favourite tunes in no particular order, the ones that make me stop to listen, and will be updated as they come to mind..

Gordon Giltrap - Heartsong (theme to one of the holiday programmes - remember them?)

Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

Dire Straits - Telegraph Road, Brothers in Arms, Money for Nothing (in fact most of their catalogue)

Oxygene pt IV - Jean-Michel Jarre 

Fleetwood Mac - Albatross

Derek &the Domino's - Layla (full version, of course)

10CC - I'm Not In Love

I thought that tune link might stir a few memories of sitting next to a radio, cassette player in hand, finger on the pause button, copyright....what's that???

17 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Just been frightening the neighbours with “Werewolves of London” 

G D, D C, G C G  a simple chord progression but hypnotically addictive.

Doug

Warren zebon, if i spelt that correctly.  Remember when jonny walker took the cover of don't fear the reaper of the radio and played the blue oyster cult version.

Yes - wonderus stories

Rush - 2112

10cc - virtually any song 

David bowie - five years 

Time to look through my cd collection, if i only had a player. Need to get a cd player that can transfers to tape for the 2500s

I really wouldn't know where to start..

The Rolling Stones,  Can't you hear me knocking,  Sublime playing from Mick Taylor and the late Bobby Keys.

John Mayall,  California.   1969 in a nutshell

Ten Years After,  I'm going home.  THE Woodstock performance.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac ,  The 1968 (Dustbin) album, specially Shake Your Moneymaker ...;  Which leads to almost any classic Chicago or Mississippi Blues

Lynyrd Skynyrd,  Sweet Home Alabama,    Led Zeppelin, anything at all..  The Allman Brothers, any Top Gear fan will know which track...

I do like my classic rock!

I'm going to ask the moderator to pull this thread as it is bringing back too many memories of my (misspent) youth.

I don't think there has been one reference I don't agree with.

Nobody mention Joe Cocker please. Back when I was a 17 year old in Chesterfield he would be a regular singer in the town's pubs and we would find out which and avoid them 🥃 The rumour was that his fee was all the beer he could drink.

His 'hit' at the time was Marjorine.

I used to see Clapton in John Mayell’s Blues Breakers at the Conservative Club Hall, no alcohol, we used to rush to the Red Lion during the interval to down 3 pints in 15 minutes.

Also the Steam Packet featuring Long John Baldry, Julie Driscoll and Rod Stuart. We thought Baldry a “blues god”, Driscoll very desirable and Stuart  a complete prat.

And Christine Perfect, I was in there till she met McVie.

db 

I'm still buying vinyl....   Recent purchases, Blues Jam in Chicago (Fleetwood Mac and others 1969). The Stones, Blue and Lonesome. ( check out the video for Ride 'em on down with Kristen Stewart and Mustang

), The Rolling Stones from the vault, Live at the Marquee in 1971,  Mmm, classic.  The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East..  I will admit to purchasing the Led Zep 4 - Compact disc set

To add a bit of class, my favourite classical number is Tchaikovsky's 1812 featuring sound effects with Pachelbel's  Canon

The modern vinyl is so so quiet. Amazing how they can do it.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2021 at 13:51, Badwolf said:

Following on from a thread drift on the ULEZ Historic vehicles thread, which went from ULEZ, to Electric Vehicles, to classic hi-fi equipment, to classic music tracks (what else??), I though that it would be an idea to get everyone's favourite music tracks both singles and albums. Something similar has been done before but what the ....!

I'll kick off with, not necessarily my favourite track but, to a certain generation, the track which is probably most famously associated with the pop music charts but never actually appeared in the charts...

Brian Fahey's version of 'At the Sign of the Swingin' Cymbal'.... Never heard of it? I bet that you HAVE heard it...somewhere.

alright... right....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcJPjvVtB0

....not arf.

The versions I heard would never get public airplay Often heard in wardrooms and rugby club bars

• 2 weeks later...

That has now ruined my afternoon!! Going to look for my copies of On the trail of the lonesome pine and Ernie (you know the one, he drove the fastest milk cart in the west)

By the way Pete, unknown to me, but obviously I have found out, the remake of Dan Dare has been on Radio 4 extra  recently and most of it is still available on the BBC sounds thingy. I have however, sourced the complete cd.

52 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Getting to the goon show, have just remembered i have some tapes and cd's. I have the record "convoy" cj macaw, my sister bought it for me. 

The Chain, Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, but only for the middle eight, the 50 seconds from three minutes in.   Created on tape, it's the most amazingly emotive bass sequence, evebn without being the BBC's F1 intro for years.

But if you want real, bass drum emotion, then Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" can't be beaten.    This excelent version is from the BBC Proms:

I shall have that at my funeral!

No! No! No!     The Emerson, Lake & Palmer version starts off well, but denegerates into 'dinner' jazz noodlings.    Not really surprising, when the original, powerful work by Copeland lasts only three minutes, but ELP indulged themselves  themselves with nearly ten.

Your Greek memory doesn't play - perhaps a cunning scheme by the Russian KGP?