Bell housing oil leak

7 minutes ago, johny said:

Its true the sump bolts go into the seal housing which has to be removed to replace the seal and the risk is that the sump gasket will be damaged during removal.

Also I see in my manual that the seal is supposed to be centralised with a special tool before bolting down the housing however I didnt use one and my seal has been fine...

I think the scroll type seal is the one that has to be centralized. Iv read that once you have installed the lip type seal which i will have, that a few turns of the crank ensures it is centralized. 

In regards to the sump, i have a slow leak from this anyway so il be changing the sump gasket while im at it 👍

to centralise a scroll wrap some feeler  strip around the journal 

an oil seal , a light smear of grease to aid refit and it should self centralise by itself

at least getting the sump off( if you have to)   on a 4 cyl wont take as much tea as doing a 6cyl   !!!

Pete

I am sure that my 1975 Spitfire 1500 has a scroll seal.  If you jack the back up high to work on the suspension, when you return from lunch there is a pool of oil with a distinctive odour under the bell housing.  Shortly after the clutch starts to mis-behave.  I hope that I will not be doing that again.

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

you can swap a gearbox scroll by changing the front cover for one with an oil seal , 

as the shaft is common its the cover that has the scroll not the shaft and thats all that determines and thats a light  fit in the clutch hsg.

Pete

Thanks pete, il make sure i check which one mine has while the box is off later and change the housing if required. I think its worth doing while iv got it off. Although iv never noticed a gearbox oil leak while on a hill so it may have already been done

The only place i keep getting a pesky slow leak at the box is at the speedo drive connection. Iv had it off and changed the 'o' ring, but looking at rimmers it seems theres another seal aswell so it may be that i need to have it back out and replace this aswell

Box is out and just thought id check if it leaks if inclined so leaned it downwards slightly, went back after half hour and its leaked like a trooper so its fair to say iv got the scroll type seal still in there.

Clutch disc has literally ZERO friction material left so also replacing this while im at it, along with rear crank seal, speedo oil seal and new sump gasket

The disheartening fact is that After all this there will still be some kind of leak from somewhere lol

2 hours ago, chrisbladen said:

Box is out and just thought id check if it leaks if inclined so leaned it downwards slightly, went back after half hour and its leaked like a trooper so its fair to say iv got the scroll type seal still in there.

Clutch disc has literally ZERO friction material left so also replacing this while im at it, along with rear crank seal, speedo oil seal and new sump gasket

The disheartening fact is that After all this there will still be some kind of leak from somewhere lol

Really heartening to find the clutch like that though as it makes the job even more worthwhile! You could be right about the gearbox seal although even with a lip seal its asking a lot for it to hold back direct contact with oil - in service the oil is just splashing about while the shaft is spinning and better supported...

2 minutes ago, johny said:

Really heartening to find the clutch like that though as it makes the job even more worthwhile! You could be right about the gearbox seal although even with a lip seal its asking a lot for it to hold back direct contact with oil - in service the oil is just splashing about while the shaft is spinning and better supported...

It certainly is, it makes being stuck in a tight space in the footwell, fighting with the gearbox all the more worthwhile!

And yes i agree, il just have to make sure i dont park facing downhill on a ridiculously steep hill lol

Update...

Flywheel and back plate removed which has confirmed the crank seal has been leaking so thats a positive. However, it looks like the core plug has also been leaking, which iv read am a right ball ache to get out with the engine in the car.

Iv also read to cover the sealing edge in some sort of lock tight before fitting a new plug.

Im just hoping that this is the source of the water and not what appears to be slight corrosion on the block directly underneath the core plug 🤦‍♂️

I think talc left for a while to confirm

20210521_171442.jpg

20210521_170922.jpg

i have a love of loctite 574 dont use any slippy silcon stuff on a core plug  they need to Grip 

Im pretty sure that leak will be the plug not a block problem 

its quite common    but with the gearbox out you have better than normal access to remove the little sod 

Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Im pretty sure that leak will be the plug not a block problem 

its quite common    but with the gearbox out you have better than normal access to remove the little sod 

I agree, (and also pray) that this is the case lol

And yes thats true its mush better finding all these issues now while the box is off

Plan is, replace all seals, gaskets and this plug, re fill oil and water and before i replace the back plate il run the engine get it nice n warm n check everything while il b able to see it all... theres no reason not to do this is there?

I take it the first picture is after its all been cleaned up Chris? Its unusual as the plug looks in really good condition and I dont think thats one of the higher risk plugs.

Running the engine without a backplate isnt recommendable or necessary as you could just refill with coolant and pressurise the system with air. Ive rigged up a hand pump to the radiator vent pipe before and then pumped up to the cap rating. You can then leave it overnight if you like to see if theres any leakage....  

Yeh the top pic is after iv wiped away all the old gunk and brown water. I dried it up and checked it after half an hour to see if i could see a trace of where it is originating. Nothing doing after half hour so il check in the morning.

On the 2nd pic theres a slight brown mark just under the bottom lip of the plug which is where im hoping its originating, but then again this could just be wheres its pressed up against the back plate and built up.

The reason i wanted to run the engine is because then i can check the new core plug but also all the oil seals and gaskets that i will have replaced, whats the reason its not advisable to run it without the back plate bud?