Bell housing oil leak

I can see why Chris as its a lot of work to find theres still a problem! However if you closely inspect everything (block core plug hole, crank seal surface and new components), maintain good cleanliness and take your time with the reassembly Id put the chances of success as very good. Its the way just about every engine rebuild is done....

well the rusty build up has  probably come from there , its unlikely but might have been from an outside source  if you had antifreeze in the cooling that would give a blue stain   the fact its very rusty 

may be its exterior like  ...there is the drain from the heater plenum ???

where is that running to??

Pete

It can only be 7 or 13psi and yours being a later car should be the latter. One thing my method of using the radiator overflow to connect to the pump is convenient but means that the radiator cap cant lift and you could over pressurise the system. Also if youve exceeded the cap pressure when you remove the pump connection the cap will vent the excess immediately....  

Thanks will try it over night 

Next problem to add to the list that iv found, 🤦‍♂️ when replacing the sump is that the 2 bolts in the front sealing block are just spinning and not tightening, must have been overtightened previously. Is there any reason why i cant tap these to 3/8"? 

Or is it just recommendable to buy a new sealing plate?

you can tap to 3/8 no problem or even metric. A new sealing block is not too expensive but does mean taking the front engine plate off, so that is a definite engine out front pulley off timing cover off and chain off. then to be honest might as well check the bearings for wear  and then where do you stop? If you have the sump off you could use a helicoil insert which would leave the thread the same.

you can also try M8  being a coarser thread can make a fix without  drilling 

if you go to 3/8 x24 the tapping drill is normally 8,3mm

check the stripped is often down to too longer set screws and the bolt had bottomed   very common, apart from gorilla ingress

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

you can tap to 3/8 no problem or even metric. A new sealing block is not too expensive but does mean taking the front engine plate off

If it's held in by three(?) bolts through the front engine plate can it not be removed with the sump off, by just undoing those three bolts and letting it drop out? Never did one that way but was just wondering... I can't think off-hand of what else holds it in place.

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If it's held in by three(?) bolts through the front engine plate can it not be removed with the sump off, by just undoing those three bolts and letting it drop out? Never did one that way but was just wondering... I can't think off-hand of what else holds it in place.

I think it is just held in through the front timing cover and front plate and then the wooden wedges, so it should just drop down with the sump off as you say.

I would still rather retap in situ as its an easier fix.

Thanks pete il try an M8 first but if not then i have a 3/8 tap so that will be my next port of call

The seal block does come out but may be stuck to the gasket of the front plate which if damaged complicates things a bit😵

It is easiest to just re-tap in situ so I did mine Metric because its a courser thread than UNF and theres more availability. It had to be M10 as the stripped hole can be almost 8mm diameter and then I used allen socket cap head screws as only this type will fit perfectly in the channel of the sump. I did this without even removing the sump but of course if it is being removed that then allows its two holes to be opened up slightly... 

• Like 1

I did think that the hole may already be to big for an m8 tap to do anything.

Il see how i get on tommorow, im sure iv got a few 3/8 UNF bolts lying about so il tap it to that if needs be

Reassuring to know that i can do it in situ though, be glad to get the thing back together lol