Just been to my lockup.

Steve P

Just been to the rented garage my Vitesse has lived in for the last 12 years,and its been busted into,padlock etc broken off,evidence of someone inside rooting around an old toolbox.

Thankfully the car looks untouched but i am worried about return visits.It is in a block of  7 in a dead end road with mostly elderly peoples bungalows and a care home.

All 6 other garages had also been either broken into or an attempt has been made to get in.I know 2 other garages have classics in them,one Humber and one a 1963 Merc,but i don`t have contact details for the owners.

Bring back firing squads asap.

Steve

A contractor knocked at my door recently, and said he had been hired by the local council, who own my lockup, to replace the door, and could he have my keys, please?       I said there was no way I'd give jhim the keys unless he had some proof of this.    No probs. he produced a letter from the Council and ID.   So I gave him the keys, and I now have a nice new door! 

Sorry for your problem, Steve, who owns the garages - it is up to them to make them secure.

John

33 minutes ago, JohnD said:

A contractor knocked at my door recently, and said he had been hired by the local council, who own my lockup, to replace the door, and could he have my keys, please?       I said there was no way I'd give jhim the keys unless he had some proof of this.    No probs. he produced a letter from the Council and ID.   So I gave him the keys, and I now have a nice new door! 

Sorry for your problem, Steve, who owns the garages - it is up to them to make them secure.

John

Rented council garages before and if you want them secure a lock in both corners to stop them being turned up is the best you can do. Had one broken into and luckily my spitfire body was on its side and hid my two motorbikes. People who steal are scum. 

18 minutes ago, Mathew said:

People who steal are scum. 

I agree, but we've stopped dealing with them as such and these days they have to be understood before they get punished. My greatest hate is vandalism for the sake of vandalism - people who destroy things then claim they've got no idea why. Craigavon. Co. Armagh has a lot of lockup garages in estates and when one old man secured his to keep his car in, and they couldn't get inside, they prised the two small vents off the rear wall and threw paintstripper and petrol in. Who on earth did that benefit?

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I agree, but we've stopped dealing with them as such and these days they have to be understood before they get punished. My greatest hate is vandalism for the sake of vandalism - people who destroy things then claim they've got no idea why. Craigavon. Co. Armagh has a lot of lockup garages in estates and when one old man secured his to keep his car in, and they couldn't get inside, they prised the two small vents off the rear wall and threw paintstripper and petrol in. Who on earth did that benefit?

Watch a bit of instant karma on YouTube. Brings a smile. Having had two cars stolen, one found after 3 years and another in the mist somewhere! Its nice to think quite a few of these scumbags do get whats coming to them.

Council rented garage,i e-mailed them earlier today to try to contact the other renters with cars and motor bikes in their garages.Re-secured the padlock for what its worth.Also reported on the police 101 site.

As for wanton vandalism,two kids burnt down our local football teams stand last week,just for the sake of it.They got caught but probably not much redress.

Ordered a tracker so i know if the car moves  as well.

Steve

General garage door locks don't do anything of use from the security point of view.  If you want to secure it then:

One of these in the middle of the door to prevent it opening/the car being stolen - https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Garage-Door-Locks-/PJB-Garage-Door-Defender.html

Then a pair of these in the bottom corners to prevent 'door corner fold', where people just bend the corners of the door to get in and pinch anything small-enough to carry (tools, etc) - https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Garage-Door-Locks-/Asec-Garage-Door-Lock.html

My nephew works for the crown estate and lives in Windsor Great Park,he has a spare garage so i moved the Vitesse there temporarily while i get the rented garage sorted and hopefully more secure.

Steve

I’m thinking of installing some cameras as a deterrent for both the modern and the garage doors. Luckily got the cars at home but at the cost of space for anything else!

Neighbour had their focus st snatched off the drive!

any suggestions gratefully accepted! 

wire up a farmers electric fence supply to the door, quick ZZap, just remember to wear insulated gloves yourself.

Not really acceptable these days but worked on the teachers common room @ one of  Melbourne's most prestigious private schools in the early 60's, maybe that's why I was sent back to England shortly after for a 10 year stint before coming home! 

The upside was the time in England started my love affair with Triumphs  

On 16/05/2021 at 18:19, Steve P said:

Council rented garage,i e-mailed them earlier today to try to contact the other renters with cars and motor bikes in their garages.Re-secured the padlock for what its worth.Also reported on the police 101 site.

As for wanton vandalism,two kids burnt down our local football teams stand last week,just for the sake of it.They got caught but probably not much redress.

Ordered a tracker so i know if the car moves  as well.

Steve

once my car is done, it will def. get a decent tracker..... along with an electric fence inside the garage.......

On 17/05/2021 at 15:39, Colin Lindsay said:

MOVE THAT... THING... OUT OF MY GARAGE! NOW!!

I can take her maj out for a spin if she likes.We can follow the same route James May did in the Ferrrari 275 California.

As for CCTV,would have done it ages ago but there is no power source anywhere at the garages.Might rig up a coil to the door to deliver 40k volts to them.

Steve