Cd to tape and mp3 memory stick

Mathew

Anybody got recommendations for a machine that can transfer cd's to tape and mp3 memory stick. I have a car with a tape deck and a car with usb connection  but no cd player and lots of cds!

I transfer CDs to memory sticks on my laptop. So you need a laptop with a disk drive. 

I have an old stereo (somewhere!) with CD player and cassette player modules. It copied one to another, but not lately!

Doug

Doug it's probably the belt drives that have perished, easily replaced rebuilt two old car radio cassettes and a CD player, I brought a bag of various drive belts from our local electronics retail chain (Jaycar)

i used a walkman type CD player with a 3mm pin plug in my Picasso but the C4 only as a usb and the 3mm to usb lead doesnt work 

there are the phono cd tape radio integrated player that get advertised in many letter box sales brochures  not much output but 

say they copy anything anywhere or a portable boom box combi

or a add on CD player     ie  stand alone  unit with  various outputs  there was some on e bay i considered but never bought 

love these wooden  ones its got knobs to twiddle 

91HBfvA3XLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Every time I get hold of a CD, any CD, it gets ripped to my desktop PC. I currently have over 11,000 tracks available. I use a programme called "exact audio copy" (there are, of course others) which works really well. It links to a central database via the internet for track information having read the CD id code. Once the track list is found you can edit track titles etc if you want. Why do that, you may ask? Simply because I like to remove words like 'the', 'a' and other indefinite articles so when I sort the tracks by title, I don't get hundreds filed under 'T' or 'A'. I also add (as EAC no longer does this for me) the album cover picture to the mp3 meta file using "Mp3tag". When you do this sort of thing correct indexing is important and you will be amazed at how many copies of the same song are on different albums. You could also say "music was my first love, and it will be my last" (John Miles)

If I need to transfer to tape I simple plug my cassette recorder into the line output of my pc, prepare a track list via VLC, then record the tracks as they play. No easy shortcut for tape I'm afraid.

Links.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_Audio_Copy

https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

as always take care when downloading and ensure your machine has up to date virus protection and run a full scan after downloading and again after installation of any programme.

14 hours ago, Mathew said:

Anybody got recommendations for a machine that can transfer cd's to tape and mp3 memory stick. I have a car with a tape deck and a car with usb connection  but no cd player and lots of cds!

If your car has a USB connection buy an old iPod; they're as cheap as they'll ever be these days and as everyone wants the latest wifi etc versions the old lead-only versions are very common. iTunes or Windows Media Player will copy the music from cd to the iPod.

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If your car has a USB connection buy an old iPod; they're as cheap as they'll ever be these days and as everyone wants the latest wifi etc versions the old lead-only versions are very common. iTunes or Windows Media Player will copy the music from cd to the iPod.

Have not got a cd player! Its my cds (a few hundred) that i want to listen too. Have memory stick and smart phone, no computer.  New car only has usb port , old 2500s has cassette. 

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

3mm to usb lead doesnt work

the walkman CD i have only has a 3mm plug output  lead

i got a lead to convert it to usb is useless  otherwise its a cheap way of just playing cd  without the hassle of downloading . i dont have the time to wait 

now i just listen to Gold UK for oldies to sing along too  ( thats with a DAB radio )in the 2000 but it does play cd as well 

Pete

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

Have not got a cd player! Its my cds (a few hundred) that i want to listen too. Have memory stick and smart phone, no computer.  New car only has usb port , old 2500s has cassette. 

Ok... it seems logical to me that if you don't have a CD player and want to listen to CDs, you're going to have to meet them halfway and buy something that will play CDs. Buy a cheap laptop and copy the CDs to memory stick, and if you want, buy one of the ION tape to CD machines - very cheap these days, it will copy cassettes to PC to allow you to burn CDs or else copy MP3 files to cassette in the other direction.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133762629267?hash=item1f24dfbe93:g:Z4AAAOSwYVxgoV0H

I would be inclined to try to get an old laptop with cd drive to convert your CDs to digital and a cassette recorder. There are no doubt units around that rip audio CDs to MP3 but getting two separate units is probably more versatile. Any old computer will do the job even an old windows xp model. Ask around at work and see if anyone has some old kit lying about that they don't use. Tell them you'll take it to the tip for them. I must have access (they are not mine) to at least 5 machines that aren't being used that would be more than suitable that will probably end up being junked...sorry!!

Beat me! Beat me! (who used to say that??? :)  )

I have the ION turntable which records LPs to PC and the ION tape to tape machine, they work quite well but the only thing to remember is: set it to record than GO AWAY. If you don't, you'll find you've just listened to the LP and don't want to go through it all again... :)

I think that Colin & I are similar in that we have loads of old kit around that is surplus but don't want to chuck it in case it comes in useful, plus, well, it may be obsolete but it still works. I read in the Radio Times that they have found a cache of 1/4 inch recording tape in Delia Derbyshire's (Doctor Who original theme) loft which has loads of interesting stuff on it. All of mine will probably end up in a skip, never listened to again!!

Vinyl, cassette, open reel, cd, mini disc, dat radio, computer editing software, Sonos, got the lot. Got a set of computer backup tapes somewhere with nothing to reload them with. Regarding the skip in the previous post, make that two.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

I think that Colin & I are similar in that we have loads of old kit around that is surplus but don't want to chuck it in case it comes in useful, plus, well, it may be obsolete but it still works.

Last time I was recording (and I've just realised how long ago it was!! Yikes!) I brought in my equipment and leads etc and the producer looked at them and told me: we don't use that any more... or that... or that... 

He had the cheek to be using an M-audio interface that I went out and bought on his recommendation, then found I couldn't get the drivers as it was too old and my PC was too new...

Thanks for the suggestions. Was looking to get a cd/tape deck portable to get the cd's to tape but it looks like the only way to get onto a memory stick will be pc?.

Audacity is a great suite for audio manipulation. I use a similar one 'Goldwave', have done for years. The problem is that when recording, like when recording to tape, you have to do it in real time. Using a rip programme (comes with Goldwave but don't know about audacity) you can copy over a track in seconds, then you manipulate it if needed. This is very useful, but to do a full album takes ages. Far better to rip the album and just enjoy. One thing that I have noticed is that recording levels vary a great deal from album to album. I put together a compilation of The Who for the car and some of the tracks need boosting in volume. Not a problem to do...must put it on the list. One thing to beware when manipulating a track is not to keep editing an MP3 file. Every time you save an MP3 it compresses the file and you lose more quality, like photocopying a photocopy. By the time you get to the 5th open/save the quality drop can be noticeable, especially if the mp3 'save' settings are set low (for say, small file size), but for a decent tape/flash drive for the car a single pass will be fine, unless, you are trying to inaudiably take the swear words out of the album track of 'Who Are You' which is a challenge!!!

2 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

One thing that I have noticed is that recording levels vary a great deal from album to album. 

Some programmes will allow you to set all to the same volume. They'll boost or lower the original so that they're all the same.

I have some albums - The Blue Nile for instance - that have copyright protection and no program will copy the original CD. They were slated for it as it meant genuine users couldn't transfer the album between devices.

Interesting about 'The Blue Nile', but they haven't produced an album yet that I have come across that I haven't copied (yes I do make performing rights licence returns). If I can play it, it's in my collection. That's one of the beauties of Goldwave. Set to record, play the album, split the tracks, name and save, add the album cover, more complex but simples.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Interesting about 'The Blue Nile', but they haven't produced an album yet that I have come across that I haven't copied 

The CD 'High' was originally released as copy-protected; they accidentally pressed / released the master copy with the anti-pirate software that protected their original recording as part of the burn process. Any copy reprinted since 2004 is copyright-free, and of course I had the version before that...

I`ve often wondered, but never been too concerned. If I`m "offending" by copying my CD`s to MP3. Or my Old Vinyls and tapes?.

This search, seems to OK the process for personal use

"".Under UK Copyright Law, end users can make 'personal copies for private use' of content they 'lawfully acquired on a permanent basis'. ... With the expression 'private use', the law explicitly allows format-shifting (e.g. converting audio files from CDs into MP3 format) and making back-up copies.""

Pete

PeteH - Copying/copyright has always been a thorny issue as regards 'personal use'. On the whole the authorities turn a blind eye to it unless there is a situation of mass counterfeiting for example selling copies at, say, a car boot or festival. On the whole, for the general public, copyright laws are not, on the whole, enforceable as photos on this forum and the internet in general prove. Every photo is copyright to the photographer so, even quoting a post containing a photograph breaks copyright rules in some way.