Cd to tape and mp3 memory stick

Mathew

32 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Every photo is copyright to the photographer so, even quoting a post containing a photograph breaks copyright rules in some way.

I really hate it when certain sites take a photo that's been in the public domain for years and watermarks it as though it's their own personal property. Sometimes the watermark obscures quite important areas of the photo too. There are even photos of mine that I took and uploaded to some sites that have been used this way on others.

23 hours ago, PeterH said:

A useful free program to record onto PC and save as almost any file format, including MP3, is Audacity.

22 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Audacity is a great suite for audio manipulation. I use a similar one 'Goldwave', have done for years. The problem is that when recording, like when recording to tape, you have to do it in real time.

Yes, I use Audacity for transcribing vinyl to CD - especially old records not released since. You can clean up the sound - although de-clicking I find best done manipulating the waveform "by hand"- and split into tracks ready for burning. If you enjoy this sort of thing (I do) it becomes quite engrossing. Perhaps I should have been a studio engineer!

But as to CD-to-tape, I think you are stuck with real time.

Cheers, Richard

Just going back to MP3 file quality. Several years ago I needed a copy of Gordon Giltrap's Heartsong for a project. I was surprised to find that I didn't have a copy in my library so sourced one off the web. Actually I sourced several versions, all not sounding quite right. So, onto fleabay and found a secondhand copy. It arrived, I played it and yes, the difference in quality was astounding. By the way it's the only record that I have come across ( up to now) which appears to feature a bicycle pump.

3 hours ago, rlubikey said:

Yes, I use Audacity for transcribing vinyl to CD - especially old records not released since. You can clean up the sound - although de-clicking I find best done manipulating the waveform "by hand"- and split into tracks ready for burning. If you enjoy this sort of thing (I do) it becomes quite engrossing. Perhaps I should have been a studio engineer!

But as to CD-to-tape, I think you are stuck with real time.

Cheers, Richard

Some programmes can be really annoying and split one track into several when it reaches long pauses or quiet parts. When I burned the Cd it had also changed the order, so you had the last 3rd of one song  commencing before the other two thirds had played... 

Just now, Badwolf said:

See what the programmes make of something like Tubular Bells.

Sounds of the seventies had mike oldfield talking about how he put a beat in that was deliberately out of time, un danceable,  "Yes" has a track with a drum beat in that is out, think its off the fragile album.

Tubular Bells, one of the album's of my youth. I was really surprised a couple of weeks ago to find that one of the phrases from it had been lifted into The Who's 'Quadrophenia' title track. Oh yes it is!!!

I listened to a great violinist (fiddle player over here!) talking a while back about a tune he wrote, deliberately full of f-sharps and the like, so flute players couldn't play it. :)

I've got Tubular Bells (I was just about to type TB) on LP but I've just noticed that both it and the sequel TB2 have vanished from my CD collection. The 7/16 gremlins must have them.

What is that with cd's that disappear from there case's! 🤔

Have several over the years gone missing. Some i have replaced but some are hard to get hold of. Still have the case's just in case they return from there holiday's 

I know I've sold cars and forgot to take the Cd out of the player first... and have bought cars with them still in, including a full 6-Cd mutichanger. Usually all country stuff tho... not my thing.

Some poor sod ejects my Cd and goes: "Who the f*** is the Albion Band?"  :)

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Usually all country stuff tho... not my thing.

Like my Alan Jackson, CD. Left in a Hire car at George Bush!. Gutted I was. It was never released in the UK!!.

Pete

Love Tubular Bells but the digitally remaster version has numerous sections that have been looped to pad them out. The original arrangement is better, same with the follow up, Hergest Ridge which, I bet, not a lot of people know about

On 21/05/2021 at 12:45, Badwolf said:

By the way it's the only record that I have come across ( up to now) which appears to feature a bicycle pump.

Good Lord! Have you never heard the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band?

Doug

5 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Good Lord! Have you never heard the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band?

Doug

Ahh..now you come to mention it, but Urban Spaceman is the only record of theirs that comes to mind (I do remember the flying hosepipe, funnel and mouthpiece). Is there a bicycle pump on that?? Just checked my library and I don't have a single record of theirs!!