Rivet gun -- hand operated

jagnut66

Hi, 

What is the most suitable rivet gun to install the rivets that hold the side trim in place?

I see halfords do one for £15, link below, which seems okay but does anyone have any recommendations?

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/welding-and-metal-work/halfords-hand-riveter-kit-124289.html

It will need to be hand operated, as I don't have a compressor or access to one.

Many thanks,

Mike.

54 minutes ago, RogerH said:

When pop riveting on or close to paint work wrap your hand around the head of the riveter to stop the reactions.

Roger

Reason I like the push type, also the mechanical advantage means less effort is reguired therefore more controllable.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Halfords is just around the corner, so no waiting. 

I have bought the correct sized rivets off Rimmer Bros, so with regards to the halfords type I just wanted to be sure it would fit them, before spending my money.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

When pop riveting on or close to paint work wrap your hand around the head of the riveter to stop the reactions.

Noted, thanks.

Best wishes,

Mike.

I've had my rivet gun since the mid 60's looks very similar to the Halford one and I use it at least weekly, only issue I have with some aftermarket rivets is the rivet stalk sometimes gets stuck in the gun after shearing off the rivet head, solution only needs another rivet to push it up and out. Some rivets which appear to have thinner stalks are OK & I keep one handy to release the thicker stuck rivet stalk, so presumably cheap PRC rivets. There again the fault could be fair wear n tear after 50 years, but I do service it strip it down and oil! 

Thanks to all for the above, I now have the halfords rivet gun, which jumps just as described above, despite me having one hand covering it. 

I think I was getting the hang of it after two or three........ 😄

Shame the door strip was slightly warped and would not go back onto the last two rivets (too worn and distorted -- previous owners had tried to glue it back in place). I tried reshaping it and putting it on the other way around (after using wire wool to remove overspray from the white stripe) but after several attempts still no joy.....

So I've ordered a new one from Rimmer Bros, however they are out of stock, so it's now on back order, should be in by the end of June.......

Best wishes, 

Mike.