Genius archivist at work

RichardG

Sad you may say, but I’m scanning in old photos, currently the GT6. Here’s a shot when I replaced the rear nearside wing.

I wondered when I did this as it must have been the mid-80s so flipped the photo over to see if I’d written the date on the back to find…

...the second photo.  I mean, it's not as if I couldn't have worked this out. 🤔

front.jpg

back.jpg

• Haha 1

Richard..Logical I suppose. Just a word of warning, if you are adding any notes to the back of your photos don't use a ballpoint pen. The ink doesn't dry out easily on the resin coated back and if you were then to stack the photos in a pack, the ink will transfer to the face of the photo below. It is a devil of a job to clean it off. You are better using an instant dry, write on glass/cd style spirit pen.

• Like 1

When an aunt of mine died I was going through a whole stack of of old photos on which she had written such illuminating comments as, “Blackpool, earlier this year”. “With Betty earlier in the year”, etc.etc.etc.

• Haha 1

So. one Lock-down job has been to "Archive" the contents of the Boxes in the Loft. At a rough count. I got to 11,000. Took over 3 weeks, although not actually full time. I had 2 Scanners working onto to 2 Laptops simultaneously. The end result. added to "n" hours of camcorder tape now digitized, fills a 320GB USB hard drive!. (almost).

Pete

• Like 1

Lady BW set herself the task during the covid lockdowns, of sorting out the photos and other records, for a group she is involved with. We reckon that there were over 30,000 photos spanning well over 60 years. All sorted into year order into 30 ring binders with 4" spines. I am now building the shelves to house them all. People have been warned not to mess with them if they enjoy life as they currently know it!!!