Oil filters???

cliff.b

10 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

without digging too deep 119 is a direct replacement for superseded gfe150

Pete 

Ah, right, that would explain it. Many thanks.

Are any brands considered to be particularly worth going for, or are they all much the same?

there a lot of myths and personal experiences with filters 

many complain of drain back due to poor drain valve quality some get paranoid about end knock until the filter is refilled when start up after 

a spell of  lack of use,   but some of this is down to the main  oil  gallery leaking back to the sump and nowt to do with the filter 

my own view is its been doing it for 50years with no detriment its a bit late to go over the top now

and triumph spec is one filter change every other oil change 

the filters as original without going overboard with endless searches for alternatives  the oe will  have vastly more capacity with our 3000mile service change and often  sooner  annual oil changes 

they are not worth loosing sleep over 

Pete

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

some get paranoid about end knock

So why not just let it idle, for a few seconds rather than giving it instant boot?. The number of people who rev the guts out of engines on startup are not aware of the need to allow the oil film to establish. Like you, I don`t know why there is an issue?.

These engines ARE "Old Tech". Treating them as such is likely to be the way forward. IMHO?.

Pete

• Like 1

Thank you for all the responses.

I quite agree with what has been said and will be using original spec oil with hopefully an original spec filter. I just want to try and make sure I don't buy something else that looks ok but is poorly made.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Pete

My current stock are Classic Gold which lots of people hate. I change oil & filter each year and it is less than 3000 miles with no worries. I have 1 more filter left for next year and after that it will be either what is available locally or a batch  ( probably Classic Gold) from the UK depending on price.

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

there a lot of myths and personal experiences with filters 

many complain of drain back due to poor drain valve quality some get paranoid about end knock until the filter is refilled when start up after 

a spell of  lack of use,   but some of this is down to the main  oil  gallery leaking back to the sump and nowt to do with the filter 

my own view is its been doing it for 50years with no detriment its a bit late to go over the top now

and triumph spec is one filter change every other oil change 

the filters as original without going overboard with endless searches for alternatives  the oe will  have vastly more capacity with our 3000mile service change and often  sooner  annual oil changes 

Pete

Oh dear! Oh dear! 

Don't wake Clive up, he may not have noticed. :o

Doug

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Gfe 150 from club shop have been my choice every year for the annual oil change 

Club shop was the first place I looked, as I assumed they would be good, but I couldn't see any for Spitfires on there, only a couple of 6 cyl ones. 

Probably me looking in the wrong place.

16 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the club shop on line is not the best but   but search gfe150 and you get or use the catalogue to get a part number and ring Angie  

https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/oil-filter-heraldstifire-dolomite-1315

this is non member price   log in as a member to get the discount      get 4 for same postage as one (by weight)

image.thumb.png.dd4a2e75636e03fc42607bb73ee6fddb.png

Thanks again. 

19 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Lincoln based i bet. Well known for substitution. Should be fine. Don't be fooled by there high price, what you get will do the job but you can get the same elsewhere for cheaper.

On this occasion I used another well known supplier with lower postage costs.

16 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Lincoln based i bet. Well known for substitution. Should be fine. Don't be fooled by there high price, what you get will do the job but you can get the same elsewhere for cheaper.

To be fair, the Unipart number is the oe part number, but they have not bene available for years. All the main suppliers sell either classic gold or B+B, both of which, like Lucas,  are sourced from the cheapest manufacturer and shoved in a box. 

There are proper quality filters available, but need to search them out. Mann is one that springs to mind. 

2 minutes ago, clive said:

To be fair, the Unipart number is the oe part number, but they have not bene available for years. All the main suppliers sell either classic gold or B+B, both of which, like Lucas,  are sourced from the cheapest manufacturer and shoved in a box. 

There are proper quality filters available, but need to search them out. Mann is one that springs to mind. 

Thanks. Do you happen to know the correct Mann part number? I might get one in for next time.

as far as i know club shop sell hundred and no problems or they would change supplier

having spent over 40 years in the truck manufacturing what makes you think some manufacturers dont do the exact same buy cheap and box it up 

its rife as most profits come from aftermarket sales not just initial  production

exchange products from a variety of names i wont print are just diabolical crap   

with a coat of paint nice box  

dont assume a name on the lid means anything 

ive used gold spin on's  from club for 18 years never a problem 

pete