Oil filters???

cliff.b

Just my twopenneth...

I had a new 1500 engine built at vast expense recently,when it came back after running about 6 hours on rollers to break it in,it had a note on the dash saying:

"Spin the engine over with no choke for 30 secs to get oil pressure up".

It had a cheapo filter on it,I have used Mann 719/29 on all my 4 pots with excellent results,i changed the filter to one,instant oil pressure on startup and no apparent drain back.I will stick with it,all you need is a thread adapter.(and decent oil).

Steve

I think it does depend some what on the state of the engine Steve, yours having tighter tolerances, including in the oil pump, will build up pressure quicker. On an older one, especially if it hasnt been run for a while, its not a bad idea to spin a bit if possible before firing...

the gallery can  also drain out and take just as much filling its not just the filter 

and on a 6 pot with a spin on kit the angle of dangle also comes into play 

the anti drain is such a simple(crude) rubbery flap valve theres a lot needs to be spot on 

to make it always be supposedly  better , 

what we need is someone to find what chinese  filter mann put inside the canister

pete

Re drain back I spin the engine with electric pump isolated so I don’t flood the engine for 20sec then reconnect the pump and start her no rattle using the original Vitesse filter element oil pressure light is off by then.

I do like GT6M’s oil header tank and solenoid set up that backfeeds the oil ways when ignition key is turned on. A lot of add on bits but we do like to fix original Triumph short comings

Filter changed, refilled with Castrol 20w/50 & now oil light goes off almost immediately and pressure 20lb higher.

Old oil looks weird to me. I've attached a picture. Is that normal? It seemed very thin compared to the Castrol. IMG_20210526_123843_085.thumb.jpg.af132e93a79218a4a25143c38c07a777.jpgHaven't done an oil change myself for a long while.

12 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

now theres a solution by sticking to the basics and dispel the  (well myths is a bit strong )

you can get that when the fuel pump has leaked as neat petrol goes into the sump 

does it whiff of petrol ???

Pete

Hmm, I wouldn't say it particularly smells of petrol now but you have reminded me that when I first viewed the car it definitely did. 

The previous owner had been trying to start it for several months without success. Could that have resulted in petrol getting into the oil which has now evaporated since I got it running?

I must agree with the Petrol in the Oil verdicts.

Had this happen to my Sunbeam with a flooding Carburettor, the penny drooped when I checked the Oil level on the Dipstick and found it way above the High mark.

A oil and filter change followed immediately and the oil looked just like yours and was very thin, your Oil pressure must have dropped alarmingly too!!   

4 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

I must agree with the Petrol in the Oil verdicts.

Had this happen to my Sunbeam with a flooding Carburettor, the penny drooped when I checked the Oil level on the Dipstick and found it way above the High mark.

A oil and filter change followed immediately and the oil looked just like yours and was very thin, your Oil pressure must have dropped alarmingly too!!   

As it was like this when I bought the car a few weeks ago I didn't see a drop in pressure, but after the oil change today it is now considerably higher, so I guess that's the same thing.

Makes sense that it's petrol in the oil and if so, what I need to work out now is if that is due to previous history or an ongoing issue.

There was no rise in oil level & the petrol smell has gone so I'm hoping it's the former.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, poppyman said:

It could be some of the reclaimed poo that you can buy.... Usually branded as motorway and always sold in gallon cans. I wouldn't use to top dampers up.

Tony.

When the International was at Stafford in the mid to late 90s I was driving a 1990 Maestro (badged as a Triumph, too!) which had a horrendous oil leak. I called in at the Motorspares shop in Stafford and bought a huge container of oil for £1.

The guy behind the counter looked at it and commented: "You don't like your car much."

He could only laugh when I told him it would all be gone by Carlisle... 

• Haha 1