1980 Spitfire revival

• 2 weeks later...

if the filler has a breather hole it needs capping if the filler is not a breathable one then you need a length of tubing to fit the spout and long enough to 

fit through a boot floor grommet to discharge fumes outside the boot   

i would fit a vent tube whether the cap breathes or does not to be sure the tank breathes 

you could use a metal tube with a short hose to connect or a plastic tube or use fuel house all the way  

what ever suits 

Pete

cant tell from the pic  the seal is rubber it will generally  have a small hole in its centre  if its likely to breath 

if its a hard seal I dont know how they breathe

a pipe makes it fool proof so  time for the cone cutter/step drill and a grommet ...somewhere convenient

Pete 

just looked and canley's parts list shows it as a blanking hose   so that might make it simpler 

the part is shown as not available so its use some short fuel hose with a plugged  end 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-petrol-tank-all-markets-except-usa

in the 80's there was a lot of rules changed about fuel loss on rollovers many makers added various small valves to allow ait in and no fuel out 

some caused lots of fueling problems with half full tanks air expanding in the sunshine and the pressure overcame carb floats before the  cap valves opened 

so you got  a  sump of petrol mixtures 

luckily thats not what you have  just a bit of history on cap vents 

Pete

On 09/01/2022 at 21:52, Badwolf said:

huge pair of old fashioned stilson grips.

Known in the Heavy end of the "Trade", as a fitter`s friend. When all else fail`s?, the "go to" tool. Sadly, my 4ft set is now a museum piece as result of "overuse" shall we say!.😁 But the 2ft pair survives, and a length of scaffold tube can be a "useful" thing!. I fortunately do have a 1" socket set, which covers larger fixtures, came in very handy when I had the American R-V`s and Dual wheels to remove.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I’m fixing the niggles until I can afford a full seat refurb. 
Can’t get the pulley bolt off still. Mathew suggested an impact wrench  Never owned one so not sure what I’m buying. Most seem to be about 400w, corded? 
Slightly worried that the leak may be the front plate, but I’ve never heard of one of those go! 
Thanks 

Alan

ADDC66A4-E51F-4A5C-B133-20D07068A372.jpeg

I have not had a lot of success with impact wrenches on front pulleys. Probably as both my air and battery versions are towards the cheaper end of teh market. I can't justify spending hundreds on one.

Saying that, I borrowed a decent CP air wrench and even that failed on my Toledo. 

I undid it using the old technique of in gear/handbrake on and chocked. Then socket on a 12" extension bar and a breaker bar. But the "clever" bit is to support the extension bar with an axle stand at the breaker bar end. Apply consistent pull on the breaker bar, and get an assitant to clout the breaker bar with a club hammer. The shock is what did the trick.

Better than using the in-gear technique is to lock the flywheel. I have seen a homemade gizmo that bolts where the starter motor normally lives, and locks into the flywheel. 

I have not yet tried the "flick" starter motor idea yet....

agree about lock the flywheel    a scaffold pole /tubed on a wrench can easily  torque overload the clutch disc damper springs and its hub

so jamming the flywheel has to be the best crank blocker unless the sump is off .

easy to work out look at the engines max torque and compare that to cracking the big nut  

and on a compressor you need a decent diam hose to get the volume its not just the pressure thats needed

My battery impact is 20v  330lbft  but she needs new batteries as getting a bit old and power has dropped a lot 

that whizzed off spitfire nuts in a blink ,   time to send off to ReCell  for a new set

Pete

Impact wrench bought. Brilliant! Four presses of the trigger and it’s off. Wish I’d bought one years ago. Would have saved all manner of bust tools, skinned knuckles! Car didn’t budge even an inch (but I had it well secured)

200ED228-F3EB-4AE8-8174-4FD9BE0DFD80.jpeg

E14CB94F-19CF-4341-9ECE-1656F033A815.jpeg

FCFA58A5-F974-4E29-85F3-7FA7DFA235F7.jpeg