WHERE ARE ALL THE MK1 TRIUMPH VITESSE SALOON,s

Mark Seniac

you can get your coat 

mines down the charity shop  ha !!

and it was the  Vitesse 6 that formed the clubs name when marketed as the Sports Six 

being our ex directors  (Bill Sunderlands ) wifes car at Newport Pagnell services  1977 when the club was founded 

Pete

🧐 ummmmm interesting !!!! so mk1 isn’t right description 🤭 when I’m describing my beauty it’s just a MAGNIFICENT 

1966 VITESSE 6 Saloon with overdrive...

also I reckon “just a thought” because he’s a late 1966 do you think he was made with complete Love and enthusiasm because that year WE WON THE 🌎 WORLD CUP 🤔😁

lol lol 

Mark

• 1 month later...

HI, just seen this thread and thought I would contribute. I have a 1968 Mk1 2.0 Lit. I bought it in June last year. I am guessing that some of you may have seen this car before, but to date I have not really researched its history.

Before this I had a Vitesse 1600 and before that a Herald 12/50.

This Vitesse is the best so far by a long way. It is a pleasure to drive. Since owning it I have replaced the dizzy with an electronic version and fitted a HI Torque starter, both have improved the car but I have retained the originals in case they need to be re-fitted. When I bought it there was a sports exhaust fitted, looked good but probably not appreciated by the neighbours !!! I replaced it with a used standard mild steel one that I happened to have in my garage. Next job is to replace that with a standard s/s system. and to repaint the air box black. I have also replaced the Mk2 grille that was on it with the correct Mk1 version. and fitted 4 new tyres to replace the hardly worn 12 year old Pirellis that were on it.

I am very happy with the car, the only thing that lets it down a bit is the carpets. I have attached some pics.

STP84496.JPG

STP84497.JPG

STP84498.JPG

STP84499.JPG

STP84502.JPG

STP84503.JPG

My 65 6 is still in the shed being rebuilt as it has since I was 18 38 years ago.
Lockdown last year was great as I worked on it every weekday and the funny thing is still reckon 6 weeks should see it ready.
It was cactus green with a black flash but I was persistently nagged to make it red which was close to the Damson Herald body that gave its life so the Vitesse would once again be on the road.
I have a Dolomite 1850 J type o/d, MGF seats, Mk4 Spitfire wheels, Megajolt, twin Mikuni HSR42, Mintex 1144 pads for the Type 12s, camber compensator to go in once it is back on the road.

Last century I scrapped a Mk1 2 litre saloon and at the time one of the two in NZ Mk2 saloons. It was ripe having spent many years in a paddock by a river, its mechanicals went into my Mk4 Spitfire.

Photos are my 6 Saloon and Mk2 CV with a few of the parts I have collected.

Vit 6.JPG

IMG_2054.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am on my third MK1 Saloon. The first one I bought from a motorcycle racer around 1989, sold it to a young friend who was rather impressed with the way it out accelerated modern saloons of the time. It cost me about £400 I sold it as I bought a Stag instead.

The second one I bought for £500 around 2003 purely because a friend told me his welding teacher was selling it, when I heard its spec, I could not resist it, best car I ever drove. It had an "X-Pack" spec 3.1 litre Ford Essex V6 in it. That was written off unfortunately. I do wish I had kept it and rebuilt that rather than the Stag.

I sold the Stag in 2017 and replaced it with my current Vitesse, I specifically didn't want a Convertible as the Stag taught me the faffing around isn't work it, this is my only car.

It was a genuine 32,000 mile car, totally original apart from door bottoms which is the only rust welding it ever had, and a blowover. Seems the days of £500 Vitesse Saloons are no more. Having looked at one for £6700 where the corners of the chassis did not exist due to extensive rust, I figured the £9000 I paid for this unmolested example was probably about right.

I have done a few things as it is my only car, though I do not use it very often, I fitted an overdrive, and a brake servo. I did clean up the under bonnet area somewhat as this seems to have been neglected. I also fitted Koni shocks all round.

I would add pictures but it always says "Upload Failed".

• 4 months later...
On 21/05/2021 at 19:44, Mark Seniac said:

Hi all

I’m curious as to where the Triumph Vitesse mk1 saloons are.

Have you got one. Have you had one. 
What was its story before you acquired it ?

Where did it end up after you sold it ?

How much did you pay for it and how much did you sell it for ?

What problems did you have with it when you owned it? 

I would love too start a thread about the mk1 vitesse saloon as I have one it’s a 1966 straight 6. A lot of cars mentioned on various chats are stags and the mk2 vitesse 2ltr and other models but not much on the Vitesse mk1 saloon. 
So should you be interested in writing a small or large piece and possibly adding a few pics regarding your Vitesse mk1 saloon then that would be great. 
I’m truly interested in this amazingly rare car and I’m sure others would be as well.

So please help to preserve this wonderful car leave a little story as I and others would love too read about them.

Many thanks 

mark and my Vitesse “lightning”

ps. I will be adding my story and other pics 

94B09B89-D6D1-46AA-8376-88CA94441C54.jpeg

If you look at my various posts, there are pictures of RGW 926F that my son found for me in 2020. It is useable but tatty due to me having a health condition so I want to use it while I can. Currently sorting a fuel problem. It has a 2500TC engine and flies occasionally.

• 2 months later...

Had my extremely original and very early 2.0 Litre Vitesse Saloon for nearly 16 yrs. Non overdrive with everything it was supplied new with. Unfortunately I am now looking to sell “Vinney”. 

62A1ECBD-35ED-4AD5-8C54-9928B1B225AB.jpeg

6F102403-BDB3-4F19-AA69-3A32F4327E89.jpeg

99CBC1D5-BD3A-4DFF-94DE-992D57B091DD.jpeg

80024ABF-6405-4EB5-8DA2-801792434AC9.jpeg

C8763180-5DB6-42FE-B3F9-86AE31E8B033.jpeg

42368B3B-411E-44B5-B2E2-789739D3B5C8.jpeg

• 10 months later...

Adding a new post to an old thread - it's great to see Vitesse saloons getting a shoutout. 

I have had my 2L mk1 for about 2 1/2 years years now and after a complete rebuild (wouldn't call it restoration) it has been on the road for over a year. I specifically wanted a saloon because I had several Vitesses in my youth (a 6 saloon, a mk1 saloon and a 6 convertible). The saloons are out-cooled by the convertibles but I had the most fun in the saloons, I think party because back in the late 1980's / early 1990's they were old and cheap to buy and there were lots of spare parts in scrap yards.

My current Vitesse first appeared on these forums in 2017 - JHA 303 E

Luckily it wasn't scrapped after since I have have owned it just about everything has been done (a bit like trigger's broom its all original but everything has been replaced)

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2021 at 16:39, Peter Charlton said:

Other things I did to my present one is to fit electronic ignition, and to fit this Princess centre console to mount a radio, USB meters and the Fuel ratio meter I have. None of my mods have altered the car, I only used existing holes.

DSC01077.JPG

Lovely dashboard shot; I hope you don't mind me downloading it for future reference when it comes to replacing mine, which will be in the next fortnight or so. I've already mixed mine up and was putting the light switch and the choke where the heater controls are...